Search

Weekend in New York as The City lights up for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Weekend in New York as The City lights up for Christmas

Mrs. SFO777 and I are off this weekend to New York for some theater, good food, sightseeing and little holiday shopping. Since I'm only three AA flights away from re-qualifying for American Executive Platinum and with the garbage airline that American has become in the past few months, I'm now booking base on convenience and price. The heck with elite status. Delta has a perfectly timed Denver-JFK nonstop and a bargain at only $265 one way in First.

Denver-JFK
Delta 1075
737-800
10:48A-4:25P
December 4, 2014

Not as roomy as American's 737-800 but three hours nonstop beats six hours on a connection.

A nice touch as Delta provide a mini-bottle of Dasani for each First Class passenger at boarding.

Once in the air, quick service.

Although a puny rag regment towel just like AA.

But a table cloth unlike AA which cut as of 9/1.

Lunch today was a choice of cheeseburger or Mediterranean chicken salad. Far more substantial than current American lunches. Although the chicken was bland, at least it was edible unlike most current AA meals. But the cheesecake was very good.

We arrived 20 minutes early at Terminal 2 and met our Dial 7 driver 10 minutes after we deplaned. An hour and only $59 later (with tax, tolls and tip) we pulled up to our hotel for the weekend, the London NYC. With crazy New York hotel prices for the first official Christmas shopping weekend, I opted not to pay $1,500 a night at the Peninsula or Four Seasons, and went with the all suite London NYC. The hotel is conveniently located for theater and shopping on W. 54th between 6th and 7th.

Our spacious one bedroom suite. Quite comfortable but a little spartan compared to the luxurious trappings of the Pen or Four Seasons.

After we settled in, we headed down to the bar for a drink and pupus before dinner.

Gordon Ramsay's Maze. Not nearly the atmosphere of the original Maze at the Marriott on Grosvenor Square.

And the view next morning from our suite.

Back to our room for a bit and then out for our 8:30P reservation at Nobu, one of Mrs. SFO's favorites. This is our fourth Nobu of the year and Mrs. SFO is determined to visit as many Nobu restaurants around the world as possible.

Great location on 57th with bar downstairs and restaurant upstairs.

Our usual started of seared ahi with Matsuhisa dressing, which Mrs. SFO has perfected at home.

Amazing crispy rice with sea bass.

And a fabulous miso cod in lettuce cups.

Everyone on their cell phones even during dinner. Date night is now just the four of us. LOL.

Impressive multi-tasking... cell phone in one hand, chop sticks in the other.

The sensational lobster tempura.

Wonderful cauliflower.

And amazing salmon.

Although I was stuffed, Mrs. SFO insisted on desert including the delicious Mochi ice cream.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 6, 2014 at 6:01 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

First up today was a visit to the new 9/11 Memorial Museum at the site of the World Trade Center twin towers. We booked tickets earlier this morning with the assistance of our great concierge Raphael. Tickets are issued on a timed entrance basis and we were booked for 12:00 noon. Uber was our friend today as we had three amazing drivers. Five minutes after we requested it, our Black Car and driver Jamel pulled up to the hotel... just as Kevin Spacey and entourage hopped into their car. Thirty minutes later we were at Freedom Tower and the 9/11 Memorial Museum.

Even with timed tickets, we had to wait about 40 minutes in a snake queue before entering.

Once inside, what a wonderful and moving experience that covers every aspect of that day... Amazing photos, video and audio recordings, pieces of the twin towers, artifacts and a stirring tribute to those that lost their lives that day. The sheer volume is simply overwhelming to see and appreciate in one visit. We were there for two hours and only scratched the surface. I recommend the audio guide which is narrated by Robert DeNiro. Not to be missed is the Historical Exhibition which presents a timeline of the day and the aftermath.

For more pics and an HD version of the report, please visit SFO777.com
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:46 am

Hope you both have a great time in NYC. The 9/11 memorial pics look great. Have a great Chrissy and NY. :-)
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
As always - excellent! Just a wonderful read.^
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:47 am

A wonderful read a a great homage to my hometown.. Your pictures are wonderful and I am so proud to be living here...( moved permanently from Southern California in April 2014.. actually grew up in Queens and NJ )
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Some day I will do NYC at Christmas-time. Had a look at MO-rates and the Suite was nearly the Price we paid last summer. So why not start tomorrow
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It was nearly 3PM by the time we left the museum and we were starving. Seven minutes later we were in our next Uber with driver Sam for the 15 minute drive to Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria near Washington Square. Great atmosphere, excellent wine and thin crust pizza.

Our third Uber of the day took only 3 minutes to arrive, and we were at 6th and 50th about 20 minutes later.

And down the street to the always impressive Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, which had its official lighting the night before.

And more beautiful Christmas lights.

And our short walk back up to 54th and our hotel.

At around 7:15P we headed out with umbrellas into a rainy night for the 5 block walk down to 49th Street.

To Mrs. SFO's pick for this trip, the hilarious Book of Mormon.

And then up to 7th and 55th for some authentic New York corned beef. The unofficial Carnegie Deli greeter who was full of great one liners and well worth a $5 tip.

We split the $17.99 Corned Beef sandwich. Can anyone actually eat an entire sandwich on their own??

Oh yeah!!

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 6, 2014 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SYDSiderFlyer
Hope you both have a great time in NYC. The 9/11 memorial pics look great. Have a great Chrissy and NY. :-)
Thanks very much SYDSideFlyer. Same to you.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
As always - excellent! Just a wonderful read.^
Thank you Andriyko.

Originally Posted by RTW4
A wonderful read a a great homage to my hometown.. Your pictures are wonderful and I am so proud to be living here...( moved permanently from Southern California in April 2014.. actually grew up in Queens and NJ )
Thanks RTW4. It's a great city and we love coming here, especially during the Christmas holiday season. The energy is invigorating and New Yorkers for the most part are great. Mrs. SFO just reminded me that she was born in Queens, 39 years ago LOL, at St. Albans Naval Hospital.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Some day I will do NYC at Christmas-time. Had a look at MO-rates and the Suite was nearly the Price we paid last summer. So why not start tomorrow
There is something about NY at Christmas time that makes it very special. A few degrees cooler and a little snow and it would have been perfect.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

Fantastic report, I miss NYC during this time of the year. I now attend school in Daytona Beach, certainly a different atmosphere
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Originally Posted by SFO777
To Mrs. SFO's pick for this trip, the hilarious Book of Mormon.

Nice trip, nice pictures - brings back memories to our trip earlier this year. We also had amazing dinners (Keens, Colicchio & Sons, Sushi Samba, ...) and did a food tour at Greenwich Village. I gained almost one kilo in 5 days ...

And concerning the musical, which we loved, I just say "Hasa Diga Eebowai!"
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Very nice pictures! I had wanted to visit NYC 2 weekends ago before my Europe trip over Thanksgiving, but due to circumstances beyond my control (a lady friend changing her mind), my accommodations were no longer available.

Someday I'll be up there at Christmas!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
welcome to the city!!! indeed i read hotel prices have increased more than seven percent year over year
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:28 pm

I've been a lurker for a long time, but I love your reports SFO777! Keep it up.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
This is a great random capture. Lady on the left stuffing her face, lady on the right conducting a symphony.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:36 pm

Nice TR as always!
I have to admit that I also use my smartphone much more than actually needed, but it's a shame to see so many people these days focusing on their phones on a nice evening out. The food looks fantastic in that place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.