Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore and Indonesia - CX F, NH F, TG C

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Thanks.

Most were shot with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 and the 12-40mm f2.8 lens. The bird pictures were shot using the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 lens. Some of the insect shots where with the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens.

A few like the ones on the planes were shot with my phone - MotoG

Last edited by glennaa11; Dec 5, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
What month were you visiting bali? Pictures are great. We are considering Feb 2015. I'm really interested in borobodur, but really hate very touristy places and some of the things you mention like the bad buffets, and the endless shopping. Didn't know about KL flights from Singapore so thanks for the tip. Knowing what you know what would you d differently to plan the bali yoga part?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

The trip was in October.

I think it's probably easy to avoid the buffets. I just didn't put my foot down at the first one like I probably should have. If you do an organized thing with a private guide I think you could let them know your preferences up front. And if they try taking you to the shops just tell them you're not interested.

I actually liked Yogya a lot on the whole. But I think that was mainly because I clicked so well with my driver Rocky. It was really freakin' hot though.

As for what I would do differently... I might have tried harder when it came to the meals to elicit more options. And I wouldn't stay at the Phoenix Hotel again. The breakfast was really great but otherwise I would have preferred a more modern place I think. There are a couple of brand new, very grand looking hotels in town. And clearly I would have scrapped the whole plan for the day when we went to Merapi. I'm not sure the temples at Lawu would have been a better choice given the 6 hour round trip drive. But I think there might have been some other things that I might have done instead.

Borobudur sunrise is a must IMHO. Once the general admission hours start it is lots of big tour groups, buses full of students, etc. I was there on a Saturday. I don't know if other days are less popular or not for the sunrise thing.

I'd also say get to Prambanan at opening if you can swing it. While the light was good when we got there it was already getting hot. Apparently there's also some kind of culture show right next to Prambanan at dinner time so you can see it at sunset. But the park closes before sunset. I think they light it up at night too. I wish I could have shot some pictures of that.

As for Bali, again I might have tried harder to get better lunch options. I might have also asked some more questions about the timing of things. Like the last day, we had like an hour and half to kill at Uluwatu before the Kecak performance. Had I known how much free time there would be in the schedule I probably would have stayed longer at the culture park.

I think I might also have gone to one of the "cultural" performances in Ubud too. There were kids selling tickets on the street to various shows. I didn't want to be bothered at the time but now I think it might have been fun.

But if you go on your own without bothering with guides and drivers you can do whatever you want with regard to the shopping trips and places to eat. I just think having a guide can be really helpful in places where you don't know the language or culture.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for your quick response. Lots of good suggestions. There is always a balance of what to plan ahead of time and have the bird in the hand so to speak vs winging it when you get there but having to use up valuable travel time to arrange things and not really doing the research. You certainly don't make the Indonesian airport experience something to look forward to, and business class seemed to help a bit. I really hate the little stuff too like the departure tax you have to pay twice. Thanks for letting some of us learn from your travels.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:19 pm

Nice report and photos! I'm a Singaporean so it's nice to see reports about your own country. I like the photo of the MBS light show. Tbh, i'm not even sure of the exact location you took that photo from

You mentioned you went in October and had to pay the departure taxes again. I was in Indonesia in Oct and I flew on GA too on a few flights and I had to pay the departure taxes separately too, because in my case, the taxes weren't included in the ticket price when I bought my tickets. Perhaps they assumed that not many people bought the GA tickets in advance hence most if not all have to pay the departure tax separately?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

The photo of the MBS was taken from the terrace at the Esplanade theater. If you go inside and keep taking escalators up you get to the terrace at the 3rd or 4th level. I only found out about from a German lady who happened to see me taking pictures of the Cavenagh bridge.

I bought my GA ticket many months ago and the taxes are clearly indicated in the receipt. I did see signs saying that GA pax must now pay the tax at the tax counter. I told the guy there I'd already paid the tax but you know how it is. Like I said it was only something like 75k IDR so it wasn't worth raising much fuss over. It was just annoying.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Glennaa11, to say that this trip report is wonderful wouldn't do you justice. I've visited all of the places you showed and I can tell you, I felt like I'd been there again after seeing your pictures. They truly have a soul and display great moments, emotions. It is an emotionnally rich TR and I can't compliment you enough on the pictures. Extraordinary, I'm totally speechless. This is by far the best advertising one could ever do to promote the places you visited.

I'm slightly jealous regarding Borobudur as I was there for sunrise as well and it was way more crowded (approximately 100 persons). You had some pretty clear and uncrowded shots.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great trip report and unbelievable photos. Well done!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Excellent report! I am finishing up a TR on central Java (Yogja and surrounds) from early October. It's an area I don't see a lot on here about, but you beat me to it and do a great job! Agree that photos are beautiful!

(we did do Malaysia Borneo too so maybe I'll still finish mine?)

Sunrise at Borobudur was not a good experience for us either, as SeamasterLux says (and we stayed at the site), due to crowds and seriously obnoxious people. But we were still the very first ones up there while it was dark and had a bit of a reprieve before more people came in for the sunrise. (which was not very colorful anyway). But more and more kept arriving shortly after we arrived. LOVED that site though, and we spent awhile there the afternoon before too.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AC SE (2008-2013), SPG Platinum (06-NOW)
Great TR....thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JenGal
Excellent report! I am finishing up a TR on central Java (Yogja and surrounds) from early October. It's an area I don't see a lot on here about, but you beat me to it and do a great job! Agree that photos are beautiful!

(we did do Malaysia Borneo too so maybe I'll still finish mine?)

Sunrise at Borobudur was not a good experience for us either, as SeamasterLux says (and we stayed at the site), due to crowds and seriously obnoxious people. But we were still the very first ones up there while it was dark and had a bit of a reprieve before more people came in for the sunrise. (which was not very colorful anyway). But more and more kept arriving shortly after we arrived. LOVED that site though, and we spent awhile there the afternoon before too.
I think the more the merrier when it comes to trip reports, so of course you should finish yours. Even when we go to the same places we don't all have the same experiences.

I'd say the crowd at Borobudur was less than 100, but still 50 or 60 maybe. But most people just sit at the front watching to the East. While they were all doing that I went around to the back where it was just me or just me and one or two other people. So it was possible to frame a shot without anyone else in it. And most photographers are good about not getting in each others' shots. One of the reasons I did some of the silhouette shots was because that way you can't see the people. I've found though that when it comes to sunrise and sunset, when everyone else is looking in one direction it's usually best to turn around and look the opposite way. That worked well for me in Burma too. And if you are patient you can usually get the shot you want. You just have to be set up and ready so that when the break in the crowd happens you can get it.

If you enjoyed this trip report you might like the others I have done as well
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-lh-os-c.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ple-weeks.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ks-bhutan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...tg-c-ua-f.html
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Glennaa11, to say that this trip report is wonderful wouldn't do you justice. I've visited all of the places you showed and I can tell you, I felt like I'd been there again after seeing your pictures. They truly have a soul and display great moments, emotions. It is an emotionnally rich TR and I can't compliment you enough on the pictures. Extraordinary, I'm totally speechless. This is by far the best advertising one could ever do to promote the places you visited.

I'm slightly jealous regarding Borobudur as I was there for sunrise as well and it was way more crowded (approximately 100 persons). You had some pretty clear and uncrowded shots.
Thanks very much!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Great trip report and photos. I have to get over there sometime.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Great trip report. We had the good fortune to visit Borobudur last year; barely a month after the volcano eruption... it was actually hit or miss whether or not we were going to go (rather whether Borobudur was going to reopen in time). We didn't get to visit Prabaman because it was still closed... truly an amazing experiences nonetheless!

FDw
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Amazing report and fantastic pictures! They are impressive!! What photographic equipment do you use? (camera, lenses, filters?). We want a couple more pictures of the flight experiences too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.