Wiki Posts
Search

An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

British Summer - ahhhh. NOT. And given that I live in Aberdeen, we get even less of a summer than the rest of the UK. rUK if we are speaking Nationalist....

So work trips had quietened down for a while and I needed a trip so that I could keep the flashy Gold card for another year. I had a wee root around at different places on the BA website. Malta took my fancy. Ł300 later I had booked a CE return to Malta. I have never been before. I am looking forward to it a lot. My first holiday this year was only a few weeks ago (shameless plug for my last TR here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...hr-prg-ba.html)

People at work told me that I got too many holidays. I told them to b*gger off.

The flight from ABZ was at 7.30am. That meant an early start given that I never normally get up until 7.45am on a normal morning.....*cue gasps*

It was dark when I got up at 4.45am this morning. You can tell winter is coming. When I got up at that time a few weeks ago the sun had already risen. I decided that I was going to get the airport bus to the airport. My dad offered me a lift but I would have felt bad if I had made him get up that early. So I left my flat to a very quiet neighbourhood.......everyone else obviously got the memo that 5.15am was still too early to get up.....

I waited for the bus to take me down to the bus station to get the airport bus. It seemed to take ages. How can the first bus of the day be late!? It came eventually. I was surprised that the bus was so busy - why were these people not in bed?! I got down to the bus station and as I got to the bus, the doors had just closed. Luckily, there was a nice bus driver who opened straight away. I paid my Ł2.80 and we were off towards ABZ.

Now, in my last TR I told you all how ABZ has a lovely new front door but I took a crappy pic. So here is the new door......

As I have said before, ABZ is a joy to go through. From front door to lounge was about 6 minutes. I am glad I had fast track security - the normal line was crazy this morning. But ABZ is a busy place in the morning - a lot of T3 flights to north England, SK/WF to Norway, KL to AMS etc, etc.

I got to the lounge and was greeted by the gorgeous angel who works the early shifts. She is lovely. Always smiling, always wanting to have a wee chat. She's an asset to BA (if that's who she actually works for and isn't contracted out). The lounge was pretty busy when I went in with the early LHR and LCY flights getting ready to go. There's a kinda 'in the middle' BA flight on certain days of the weeks during the summer which is good - not too early.

Breakfast selection was the usual - cereals, fruits, croissants, butteries etc. I had some bran flakes and OJ and lots of espresso.

BA1319, ABZ-LHR, A321, G-EUXC

I left just before boarding was called. Fast track lane was quite short today which was nice. I had selected 22F - an emergency exit row with a load of leg room. I thought it would be quieter down the back.

I was getting forward to leaving dreich Aberdeen for a week of sun (hopefully!)

The flight was relatively quiet. The CSD was a guy I had seen before - perma tan and sounds like he smokes 3445 a day! We sat for a wee bit until the men up front sorted their papers.

And then we were off. The flight was obviously not heavy. We didn't even pass the gate and we were already up in the air. I dozed for a wee bit and then popped the iPhone on. It took AGES to get through all of the clouds!

Breakfast was the full breakfast or continental. Given that I had the full on my last trip (TR already plugged), I thought I would go for the continental. I really enjoyed it. I would definitely have it again! It is ham and cheese, a wee half egg and a wee tomato. I felt quite Scandinavian having it!

An announcement was made to the effect that if you wanted more tea and coffee then to ask as the crew were clearing the trays. This is obviously the same as on other BA flights - they make an announcement saying that if you want more drinks then press your buzzer.

The descent into Englandshire was nice....

........but we had to loop-the-loop for about 20 minutes. It didn't bother me as I snoozed for most of it and had padded in enough time to my schedule to allow for any delays. We were soon on approach though although there was nothing of central London to be seen because it was so cloudy. LHR was a rainy mess as we arrived.....

We parked at A2 - very handy for arrivals. Priority baggage was 'meh' today - not amazing but not sh!t either.....

I will leave you there for now..... I need to get back to the Flounge........

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 1, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I refer you to your earlier comment about too many holidays - they're right good start to the report - again !!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Interesting read so far, gosh what an uncivilised time to get up and get to the airport, your street certainly does show no life at all, everyone is normal and in bed. Food offering did not look too bad. How long did it take you then to get to gatters for your Malta flight^
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Interesting read so far, gosh what an uncivilised time to get up and get to the airport, your street certainly does show no life at all, everyone is normal and in bed. Food offering did not look too bad. How long did it take you then to get to gatters for your Malta flight^
Yes - even though I am city centre, it was still quiet.

It look about 45 mins in the bus to LGW. Not long when I had my book to read. I've had quite the nice time in the lounges! Should be boarding in 20 mins or so.....
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Glad to hear the bus was so easy. Sometimes it is grim.
I have been using the LCY service which is great, and reliable.... but sadly cityflyer are dropping the route soon.
The connection to Gatwick is (Was!) easy too.... DLR / Jubilee/ London Bridge.
I will be on one of the very last ABZ flight from LCY in October. :-(
Thanks for posting, enjoy Malta.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:05 am

Malta evokes irrational hatred in me based upon a honeymoon there many decades ago and the David Niven quote decribing it as " Yells Bells and Smells" ! Never the less, nice report
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
That continental breakfast looks reasonably decent actually, they could however do with healthier looking bread.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike&co
I refer you to your earlier comment about too many holidays - they're right good start to the report - again !!
Thanks mike&co - you can never have too many holidays!!

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Malta evokes irrational hatred in me based upon a honeymoon there many decades ago and the David Niven quote decribing it as " Yells Bells and Smells" ! Never the less, nice report
Thanks for reading Airbridge

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
That continental breakfast looks reasonably decent actually, they could however do with healthier looking bread.
Maybe a wee bread roll would be better than the bread. I'd prefer a brown one!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

So I had booked myself on the National Express coach to Gatwick. Another coach which was leaving 20 mins before mine pulled up and the lady asked if I wanted to hop onto it instead of waiting longer. I did. The ride down was unremarkable. Very cheery driver. I started a book which I have taken with me on holiday.

I posted on the BA forum about how impressed I was with LGW (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...fresh-air.html). It was the complete opposite to LHR (IMHO of course). I was checked in by the loveliest older lady. She apologised for my 36.7 second wait and when I asked if there was fast track security she said "Ohhh, you're normally a Heathrow man aren't you?". She was right of course. She got out of her seat and took me to the entrance and wished me a nice flight. I don't think you would ever get that at LHR! Anyway, fast track was dead. I was in the Flounge within 10 minutes.

The Flounge was busier than I expected when I arrived but not so busy that I couldn't find a seat. I decided that I would have something quick to eat and then grab a shower. I went for the Eggs Royale (Trades Description Act here - Egg Royale!) It was great and was washed down with some Tattinger.

There was no wait to get into a shower room. It was clean and the shower pressure was great! After a longer shower than I normally have at home, I got changed and went back into the lounge.

I had a few hours to kill so watched some stuff I had downloaded on iPlayer whilst at all times remembering to keep hydrated.....

The food in the lounge was fine. There have been moans because the menu and buffet isn't as extensive as LHR. I'd definitely agree that it is not as extensive but what was there was fine for me. I had some nice asparagus quiche and other bits and bobs and some cheese and biscuits later on.

There are a few hot items on the menu if you do fancy, though.

I decided that I would have a change of scenery and visit the Galleries Club lounge across the way. People on the BA forum said it's great because it's much more open and has views of the runway. Yes that's true but DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU CAN STAY IN THE FLOUNGE. The place was a zoo. When I went to the desk the girl scanned my boarding pass and said "Oh sir, you do realise you can go to the First lounge?" to which I replied "Oh yes but I fancied a change of scenery" to which came back "I'll just warn you that there are a lot of kids in here today but enjoy!"

She wasn't wrong. I eventually found a seat and poured myself a strong Bloody Mary to recover from the shock of all these people. I stayed for a wee while - just long enough to charge up my iThings because there weren't any points in the Flounge for charging available. I then de-camped back.

A few more drinks were consumed, some Netflix was watched and before I knew it, the flight was boarding (supposedly). I walked to the gate - about a mile away - and was met with hoards of people just sitting there. No flight crew. Oops. After about ten mins, the two pilots waltzed past and onto the plane. Boarding started 5 mins after. They explained later that they had come in late from Edinburgh. For some reason the catering wasn't on the plane too so both front doors were open while the trolleys were rolled on board.

I took my seat in 1F and was surprised that there was a pillow and blanket there. The seat beside me was unoccupied when I checked in but someone had made an appearance there. To be honest, she was a nice lady and slept most of the way over.

There was a bit of a hoo-ha with the Titan 757 next door. We had to wait 20 mins while whatever it was was sorted.

But before long we were off and shooting up above England.

Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Glad you had a good uneventful ride down to LGW. The shower certainly looked better than the ones in LHR, it appears as though instead of the door being flush with the floor, it is raised up thus not flooding the whole of the shower/bathroom. Liked the egg royale, maybe may try that in CCR next month as it appears you can request anything within moderation not on the menu. OMG no wonder you needed a BM to calm your nerves from all the people in galleries, very wise to go back to Flounge. Hope you had a good flight to Malta and await next episode of TR.^

Last edited by BA5E; Aug 30, 2014 at 2:34 am Reason: made mistake of destination
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Glad you had a good uneventful ride down to LGW. The shower certainly looked better than the ones in LHR, it appears as though instead of the door being flush with the floor, it is raised up thus not flooding the whole of the shower/bathroom. Liked the egg royale, maybe may try that in CCR next month as it appears you can request anything within moderation not on the menu. OMG no wonder you needed a BM to calm your nerves from all the people in galleries, very wise to go back to Flounge. Hope you had a good flight to Malta and await next episode of TR.^
I'll have to try the showers at LHR on the way back.....next instalment coming up!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Wow. Malta is HOT. I have spent the two days sweating my you know what's off by the pool. I needed those two days of relaxation. Anyway, I left you just as we took off....

BA2644, LGW-MLA, Boeing 737-400, G-DOCX

The crew jumped into action pretty soon after the seatbelt signs were put out. We got the usual hot rag first of all and then magazines were distributed. I got a copy of GQ which was very handy for reading today at the pool.

layz - cover your eyes for this next part.

I had some bubbles (or battery acid as it has been called) along with some nuts. The cashews got picked out and I nibbled on the almonds.

A state of alcohol induced fuzziness was coming over me now which was nice. Things were good as we got above the clouds.

The CSD passed back after doing the drinks run of the whole cabin - there were 8 or 9 rows tonight I think. He passed me another fizz and the female crew member distributed the menus. I wasn't expecting to get a menu on this flight but for some reason, I had convinced myself that this was only a band 3 flight and not a band 4. The choice tonight was chicken curry or ravioli. I was tempted with the ravioli but decided that I should have some proper meat protein and less carbs.....

The meal was actually very, very good. The chicken curry tasted great and had a wee kick to it which I loved. Cheesecake was delicious but if you give me anything with some passion fruit in it, I am going to be a bit biased. Cheeses were also a nice way to finish the meal. Thumbs up, BA!

As we were passing over central Europe, there were some great views to be had out the window. I always make sure I sit at a window seat on flights - I love just looking out and seeing what is beneath (and hope that it isn't just a blanket of cloud!) - today didn't disappoint and the sunset was breathtaking.

Yes, I know there will be a lot of hate because I spoiled the nice single malt. But I made up for it later by drinking it straight up.

For the rest of the flight, I snuggled under the blanket, popped my legs up on the bulkhead (haters gonna hate) and listened to some music. Soon enough we were coming into Malta and the end of another very solid CE flight with Malta. Not outstanding - the crew were just good - but certainly up there.

Quick look into the office as we waited to disembark.

Those poor pilots - coming form Edinburgh and now having to go all the way back to LGW!

One of the things I like about coming abroad is the wall of heat that hits you as you get off the plane. It wasn't much different tonight. It was after 9pm and it was still 27 degrees. I was first through passports and the case didn't take too long to come off. I got a taxi to the Intercontinental. To be honest, I probably could have got a bus but it seemed like it would be a bit of a faff....

There I will leave you. I am in the Club lounge at the Intercontinental and my gin glass seems to have developed a leak.

Back soon!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

The hotel was jumping when I was checking in. It's obviously a very busy place. They had upgraded me - nice - to a panoramic Club room? Whatever that means. The room was nice though.

I'm not sure if the apples were the welcome 'gift' or they forgot to actually give me a gift. Anyway, they obviously want me to be healthy and not drinking (a la IC Prague.....)

The room overlooks the pool so something nice to look at when I am sitting on the balcony. It's good that I am high enough up that any early morning noise doesn't bother me. I had read some tripadvisor reports for the hotel which mentioned the noise but I haven't encountered it yet.

The hotel is very well equipped with numerous restaurants and bars. I headed down to Waterbiscuit for a vodka and to have a look at one of the local guides they left in my room. After that, I felt a bit peckish so ordered some room service and sat on the balcony eating it whist phoning my folks to let them know that I had arrived safely.

Really reasonable prices on room service - the burger was €13.50 and there was no tray charge (maybe that was a mistake though, I haven't looked at the menu again to check).

And then it was time for bed. By this point it was after midnight and I was in desperate need of sleep. The bed is v comfy.....!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
stu1985 super TR I was wondering what to read now the billingham's are home so thanks again love the humour keep up the good work.
John
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice one! When I visited Malta and stayed at IC I wasn´t satisfied. Glad you liked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.