An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:51 am
Suspended

I really don't understand the logic of scheduling flights from LGW instead of LHR to MLA.
How is someone form the US supposed to connect? BOS-LHR/LGW-MLA??
Disaster!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Great report.

Interesting on a cheapish CE fare you get both a lovely pudding and proper Cheese and bics, but on a £££££ CW fare it's a battle.
Quiet! Before they enhance it!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice one! When I visited Malta and stayed at IC I wasn´t satisfied. Glad you liked it.
There are flaws but I'm impressed.....so far!

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I really don't understand the logic of scheduling flights from LGW instead of LHR to MLA.
How is someone form the US supposed to connect? BOS-LHR/LGW-MLA??
Disaster!
BOS and ABZ are no different. You make your own arrangements and get there. It's really not that difficult. You could even book a private car!

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Great report.

Interesting on a cheapish CE fare you get both a lovely pudding and proper Cheese and bics, but on a £££££ CW fare it's a battle.
Quiet! Before they enhance it!
Thanks Skipcool3 - book up before both pud and cheese are gone! *jokes*

Last edited by stu1985; Aug 30, 2014 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:34 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Lovely to see this TR, great photos and very informative.

Can I ask, is this the flight which leaves LGW at 4.45pm? We're off to Malta in 2 weeks time on the 4.45pm flight, not staying at the same hotel as you but looking forward to a break.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyB
Lovely to see this TR, great photos and very informative.

Can I ask, is this the flight which leaves LGW at 4.45pm? We're off to Malta in 2 weeks time on the 4.45pm flight, not staying at the same hotel as you but looking forward to a break.
Thanks for reading LadyB! I think the flights leave at different times on different days. My one was at 4.35pm but the 4.45pm does ring a bell on a different day. Hope you enjoy your trip here - it's a lovely island.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Great TR so far, looking forward to the rest. I spent 2 weeks in Malta with my parents ages ago. Could be nice to pay this historical island a re-visit.

Really bad luck about the leaking gin glass. Hope you were compensated
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
What a coincidence.

I was on the same flight as you...it was nice of the 757 to break down, wasn't it!

I was also at the Intercontinental last night. What a disaster. The beach club didn't allow us to enter at 15:55, as they were closing at 16:00 to arrange for a private function. (we still flustered their plans by insisting on them letting us have beds and towels and to set us up at the edge of their area.

Then we went from a quick sleep only to be woken by hammering and drilling for an hour, despite the fact that the hotel claim to have had no work going on. It returned this morning on the 9th floor, I think.

We also had a power cut (fuse) and an exploding iron (linked).

Not great, although the breakfast in the club on the 15th floor was fine.

I'll have words with my niece's husband, as he's the FD.
I'm not sure that I got value for 45,000 points. I guess I'm not a Paceville person.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
Great TR so far, looking forward to the rest. I spent 2 weeks in Malta with my parents ages ago. Could be nice to pay this historical island a re-visit.

Really bad luck about the leaking gin glass. Hope you were compensated
Thanks for reading onobond! I have a refilling gin glass now

Originally Posted by gnarly
What a coincidence.

I was on the same flight as you...it was nice of the 757 to break down, wasn't it!

I was also at the Intercontinental last night. What a disaster. The beach club didn't allow us to enter at 15:55, as they were closing at 16:00 to arrange for a private function. (we still flustered their plans by insisting on them letting us have beds and towels and to set us up at the edge of their area.

Then we went from a quick sleep only to be woken by hammering and drilling for an hour, despite the fact that the hotel claim to have had no work going on. It returned this morning on the 9th floor, I think.

We also had a power cut (fuse) and an exploding iron (linked).

Not great, although the breakfast in the club on the 15th floor was fine.

I'll have words with my niece's husband, as he's the FD.
I'm not sure that I got value for 45,000 points. I guess I'm not a Paceville person.
Isn't it a small world, gnarly!? Your experience at the IC doesn't sound too great. I am up on the 13th floor so there's little noise!

Club lounge is nice. The nibbles and extensive drink selection are great!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

So, what have I done since I last posted? Well the first morning, I got up and went for a wander around St Julian's Bay which was heaving with folk on the beach.

After wandering for a while, it was time for a light refreshment. Purely for cooling off purposes....I went to the IC beach bar right down on the beach. There is a space cordoned off for IC guests down by the beach. You get a lounger on the beach and can take your own towel or hand over a token in return for a towel.

It was a nice place for a few Cisks. I then popped back to the hotel and from the looks of the pics, had a short nap (after taking some pics of the room!)

I then spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool soaking up the rays and occasionally nipping into the pool to cool off (although the water temperature of the pool was supposedly 27 degrees!).

In the evenings unit 7.30pm, the club lounge has nibbles and drinks which are complimentary. I popped up just before 7 and there were still some nibbles left. They were washed down with a nice glass of prosecco. No battery acid!

Rant - I am writing this in the lounge just now and there's some t*sser who keeps coming in form the balcony whistling the loudest I think I have ever heard someone whistle. What is wrong with some people?! /rant

Rant - oh and another one who thinks it's a great idea to walk around the lounge having a FaceTime conversation with someone who sounds as if her voice could crack glass /rant

Anyway, I digress.

The views from the lounge as the sun set were amazing.

I decided to eat dinner in the hotel that evening and opted for Waterbiscuit. It's the restaurant / bar right at the front of the hotel. It's got quite a funky vibe about it - there was some nice jazz improv going on as I was having a pre dinner drink. The restaurant is over two floors and the lovely hostess said that she thought I would be more comfortable upstairs. I accepted her recommendation. The menu is nice - lots of fish and meat. And the wine list is on an iPad - I was completely taken with it!

The upstairs part has an open kitchen which is nice to see. I remember the hotel I used to work in when I was at uni - if that was an open kitchen, we would have had no guests due to the amount of swearing coming from them!

I went for the lamb ravioli which was delicious and then the sea bream with textures of cauliflower which was also great. All in all, a really nice meal with a great atmosphere and very attentive staff.

The next morning I got up and had breakfast in the lounge. It's nice to sit in the sun and admire the view while still waking up.

Today was another chill day so I headed to the pool where I chilled for most of the day, reading and listening to music.

The lounge also does afternoon tea so to get out of the hot sun for a wee while, I decided that I would partake....

What would BA regulars say about that?!

Again, there was a great sunset from the lounge that evening.

The drinks selection is really impressive - there are a LOT of spirits, a good few beers and 4 reds and whites to choose from along with prosecco and all the usual beers and soft drinks etc.

That evening, I decided to go to the beach side restaurant of the hotel, Paranga. Again, another really nice meal. I had mussels and then steak, washed down with a nice local red wine.

So that was the end of a few nice chilled out days. Until the next part......!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
It seems they improoved their food outlets. When I was in Malta I had the worst Pizza of my life, a very average Asian meal and an OK buffet..... What was really good was the Afternoon Tea at the lounge and the breakfast.
I`m excited what you did in Malta to fresh up some memories
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Glad that you're enjoying yourself.

By the way, you were wandering around St George's bay, not St Julian's.
If you want to see St Julian's (and you should). Take a stroll down to the IC beach club, then turn right, up past Paranga. You'll reach the Westin in 5 minutes (stop for a drink at ORVM), then continue on Triq Il-Knisja (Church St) until you reach Arkadia and the Hilton/Portomaso complex. Turn right and then left down the hill. Now that is St Julian's bay aka Spinola. Alternatively you could climb the stairs behind the IC and wander past the various strip clubs and discos. Head in a more or less straight line and you'll take the direct, albeit uninspiring route.

If you need some good local dining options, can I recommend Caviar and Bull which is at the Corinthia Marina hotel, i.e. on the left side of St George's bay. The head chef, Marvin Gauci is someone with big ambitions and the talent to back it up.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:29 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
quite an epic TR. Malta is on my list... one day but Vietnam/Hong Kong first!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnarly
Glad that you're enjoying yourself.

By the way, you were wandering around St George's bay, not St Julian's.

If you need some good local dining options, can I recommend Caviar and Bull which is at the Corinthia Marina hotel, i.e. on the left side of St George's bay. The head chef, Marvin Gauci is someone with big ambitions and the talent to back it up.
Good spot gnarly - it was indeed George's not Julian'a. There are too many bays! I have been round there and actually have just come back from there after swimming in the sea (which was very warm!).

Thanks for the recommendation - I will have a look!

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
quite an epic TR. Malta is on my list... one day but Vietnam/Hong Kong first!
Thanks thetravelingRedhead - glad you are enjoying. I would definitely recommend Malta as a holiday destination.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by stu1985
it was indeed George's not Julian'a. There are too many bays! I have been round there
If you keep going round the other side you'll encounter St Andrews which is next to Pembroke, naturally!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Great TR again Stu. I did the Malta weekend in May and dare I say I didn't enjoy it as much as you seem to be. Scared to say that on here, but I did tour the island, stayed in a top hotel, walked a lot etc, but the place just didn't do it for me.
I'm on that 0735 flight next week and have chosen seat 22f - I always do on the A321. I would be really upset if anyone else chose that one before me - I feel it's all mine now after choosing it for the last half dozen or so 321 flights.
I'm heading out to Vancouver in Club to join a cruise and home in AF Premium Economy from LAX, but too lazy to do a TR.
The lounge in Malta is good, so enjoy that on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.