Search
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Physci
Print Wikipost

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Great read! More please!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Frankly I’d rather fly middle seat World Traveller to SYD next to the bogs, with Stez gloating from the exit row, than suffer that indignity.
Obviously c-w-s wouldn't want to be on ITV, the home of Jeremy Kyle! Let's see if Channel 5 are interested.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I hope you managed a plausible explanation as to why the earth moved for you during a stay in a hotel room in a foreign country

I was staying high up in the Bonaventure, Downtown LA during one of the 1994 Northridge aftershocks. It's was an 'interesting' experience to say the least.
I was living in Los Angeles doing my university studies at the time of the Northridge quake. They do earthquake safety drills where you learn that you're supposed to get under the door frame. I was thrown across the room when I tried to stand up. I ended up rolling under my desk and waiting it out. My roommate at the time, a Los Angeles native, was unfazed and didn't leave his bed. He had a good laugh about it. It was at that point that I decided I would probably not buy a house in California.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Onwards and upwards

Many thanks for your comments and thoughtts, golfmad, Jagboi, paulwukAeroWesty, Stez, bobbob1976, browserden, layz and dylanks (and greetings from PHX Sky Harbor lounge B, apparently it's 37 celsius outside so I'm staying inside!).

So:
  • Most enjoyable flight: LCY to GRX - comfortable, great service, I enjoyed it.
  • Least enjoyable flight: GRX to MAD - kind of obvious I think.
  • Best meal - mmm, tricky, I did like that LCY breakfast, but US' EDI to PHL has to claim this one on balance.
  • Best airport experience: PHL
  • Worst airport experience: LCY
  • Worst experience overall: Spanish taxi drivers, but that's stating the obvious.
  • Best lounge: the beloved CCR
  • Number of personal greetings (excluding CCR): One! By a T5 gate agent too.
  • Number of kisses from Ann: Six
  • Best tourist experience: Alhambra - Granada.
  • Most unexpected experience: toss up between PHL's arrival procedure and 6.0 earthquake. Probably the earthquake.
  • Best hotel: Canary Wharf Hilton.

Recent things that have made travel more enjoyable:
Apps that do all kinds of thing.
Kindles (so I can read The Times at breakfast in San Francisco)
Inflight Wifi
and the whole internet integration piece, so listening to the Today Programme while airborne over Utah is no big deal.

Recent things that have made travel less enjoyable:
Slight increases in security processes maybe? I don't really get bothered by this, but it would be nice if TAS pre-check was introduced to the UK.
Congestion in the skies, leading to delays in landing and take off.

Right, onwards and upwards.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Other than wanting to get TSA-Pre Check and Global Entry (another story for another time), can I say once again how excellent this thread has been.

Too early to nominate for the Trip Report of the Year on the BAEC forum?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
Wow CWS great report, very interesting to read - thank you and safe onward travels.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:12 pm

Many thanks for your comments and thoughtts, golfmad, Jagboi, paulwukAeroWesty, Stez, bobbob1976, browserden, layz and dylanks (and greetings from PHX Sky Harbor lounge B, apparently it's 37 celsius outside so I'm staying inside!).
Yes, and it's actually below average for this time of year! Good choice to stay inside. PHX has recently greatly improved the food selection, replacing many chains with local favorites.

Thanks again for the report, and enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:11 am

Thanks CWS for a great read, very interesting.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: BA
Thank you very much, C-W-S, for this thread. Please do know that your hard work in writing this up is much appreciated by many. Many valuable tips, information and insights, very well written, with just the right dose of Britishness. This is the kind of stuff which makes the FT BAEC board worthwhile... ;-)
Happy travels and stay safe.

Last edited by dujardin; Aug 26, 2014 at 3:05 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:27 am

Great job CWS. Well done.
Starting next week I'll be doing 4 SK Plus sectors a week for a month Perhaps I should do something similar to your report.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Originally Posted by Petrus
Starting next week I'll be doing 4 SK Plus sectors a week for a month Perhaps I should do something similar to your report.
I think perhaps you should ^
I've enjoyed CWS report immensely and would be great to have a another FF view as well
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Yes the trend needs to be kept up.^
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:17 am

Definitely, I think the type of report is not done enough, and I think it's great to learn tips and optimizations from other frequent travelers.

I would be happy to do one for my next set of business trips as well, but it's not as exciting as it's all US/AA travel, and it's "only" 8 sectors in 4 weeks. But if there's interest, I'll write something up as I go. It is 1000 TP though, given the 2000+ mile trips on US F.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:37 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
CWS, really interesting trip report, the discipline, love it ^

Thank you for sharing this.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
  • Best hotel: Canary Wharf Hilton.
First time I've got the DLR to this hotel believe it or not and strangely enough I couldn't see any Hilton signage on the building on the side that's facing the DLR.

Although it's easy to spot from the train itself.

To LCY I'd normally get a taxi from there, not that the public transport options are poor (they're not) but because it's close enough to be good value (Hailo will quote £17 fixed fare for a black cab from this hotel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.