Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:05 am

Live TR: MAN-LHR-BRU-LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA/SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR-BRU-LHR-MAN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Talk of Seattle and Spokane reminds me of the TV programme Frasier.

It was set in Seattle and in one episode I saw there was a visit to Spokane.

Seattle has been near the top of the 'next trip' list for a while. Spokane has moved up a few notches recently
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Talk of Seattle and Spokane reminds me of the TV programme Frasier.

It was set in Seattle and in one episode I saw there was a visit to Spokane.

Seattle has been near the top of the 'next trip' list for a while. Spokane has moved up a few notches recently
Spokane is a bit of an odd place to be honest. Up by the airport (where we were staying) it was a bit run down - lots of airport hotels which looked like they didn't have that much business. In the centre the main shopping streets were really attractive and reminded us of San Diego.

And as mkjr suggested we do have a good steakhouse recommendation!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Tue 12 Aug 2014 - Spokane - Kalispell

Drive: 240 miles
Highlights: Coeur d'Alene and first time in Idaho and Montana

Managed to stay in bed until 3:30am – billinghamv was up at 4am – not that bad for second night on the west coast. May try a Melatonin pill tonight just to ensure my body realises it’s on Pacific Time now.

I didn’t mention anything about the scenery on the drive yesterday – that’s probably because nothing really stood out as such – after all it’s an interstate! However we have driven through Nevada where the scenery is just stunning – it may be relatively flat, but there are interesting rock formations, and we didn’t really see anything yesterday. The viewpoint that we stopped at was probably the nicest place we came across yesterday, but it was hazy so it wasn’t a very clear outlook.

Ellensburg wasn’t very inspiring to be honest – it was just nice to get our first Starbucks of the trip. Moses Lake looked quite attractive close to the lake, but in the town there wasn’t really that much to write home about. Anyway – it’s just relaxing being away. I suspect that Coeur d'Alene is going to be nice – the only problem is that only being 30 miles from here, there’s going to be a bit of pressure to get on with the driving for today. If it was much later in the drive, then we would be happier to spend more time there with only a short last section to complete.

We were up for the start of breakfast at 6am – we like the HGI All American Breakfast – they have all the normal things you would expect including yoghurt, fresh fruit, cereals, bread, bacon, sausage, potatoes, scrambled eggs and they also have omelettes cooked to order. Great start to the day.

At breakfast we noticed it had been raining and when we went out to the car it wasn’t exactly that hot – only 68 degrees! Consequently the top stayed up. Anyway we were on our way by around 7am and we were soon across the state border into Idaho, and that’s our first time in that state. Not long afterwards we reached Coeur d’Alene and found Starbucks – we headed down to the lake, parked up and drank our Starbucks with the drizzle coming down.

We carried along the I90 and we suddenly noticed the beautiful scenery: fir trees all up the mountainside, hills either side of the road, a river with a train track running alongside. Shame there was nowhere with a good view point to take pictures. The rain had finally stopped by this time, and the temperature was starting to head northwards.

It wasn’t long before we crossed over into Montana and eventually we reached St Regis where we turned off up Mt 135 and we stopped off at the visitor’s center to stretch our legs. We met the woman who runs the center and she gave us loads of free booklets and maps etc for Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP. She was very kind and helpful, so we felt obliged to donate some money to the center.

Time to put the top down – temperature was now up to 85 degrees. After getting back on the road, the scenery changed again – we lost the fir trees and the postcard like scenery although it was still nice. Eventually we stopped at Lakeside for some lunch on the I93. The views of the lake were fab, and there’s something really relaxing about boats on the lake.

It wasn’t long before we got to the Hampton Inn at Kalispell. Having checked in we discovered we had been upgraded to the Rocky Mountain Suite with a hot tub, separate bedroom etc. Unfortunately it was decorated in a nasty shade of brown, so looks a little on the dark side.

billinghamv popped downstairs to get some fresh milk and came back with some Ben & Jerry's - I didn't ask for it though!

Last edited by billinghamn; Aug 12, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Tue 12 Aug 2014 - Spokane - Kalispell

Drive: 240 miles
Highlights: Coeur d'Alene and first time in Indiana and Montana
I'll let you blame jetlag for this error.

billinghamv popped downstairs to get some fresh milk and came back with some Ben & Jerry's - I didn't ask for it though!

Sure, whatever you say?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:44 pm

billinghamv popped downstairs to get some fresh milk and came back with some Ben & Jerry's - I didn't ask for it though
Yeah, right. Along with 'that wasn't me', one of your most common white lies.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by billinghamv
Yeah, right. Along with 'that wasn't me', one of your most common white lies.
I figured you'd be along shortly to set that record straight.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: FT
Spokane is a bit of an odd place to be honest. Up by the airport (where we were staying) it was a bit run down - lots of airport hotels which looked like they didn't have that much business. In the centre the main shopping streets were really attractive and reminded us of San Diego.

And as mkjr suggested we do have a good steakhouse recommendation!
Let me know where some of your other nights are and I can scare up some recs...

For example, some very creative donuts at the famous voodo donuts in Portland. Several locations.

http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php

Not sure but if you are on the i5 between roseburg and grants pass, there is a place that serves some of the best cakes, cookies and the best cinnanmon buns. It is a well known truck stop with great dinner grub too.... It is aptly called heaven on earth. last time I was there was may 2012 on a drive back to yvr from santa Monica but boy o boy was it fantastic. You might be on the coast then. It's about 30 miles north of grants pass. I would always call to make sure these small places are still operational...you never know with the economy.

Heaven On Earth Restaurant
703 Quines Creek Rd, Azalea, OR
+1 541-837-3596

Last edited by mkjr; Aug 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'll let you blame jetlag for this error.
Well spotted - I've corrected this now. Of course the wife spotted it as well. She thinks it's so funny to pick out my typing error ...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Well spotted - I've corrected this now. Of course the wife spotted it as well. She thinks it's so funny to pick out my typing error ...
Up early or really late?!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Up early or really late?!
Up early as normal - still jet lagged unfortunately. It's almost 5:30am here in Kalispell on Mountain Time - been up since 3:45am. However looking forward to today since we will be driving the Going-To-The-Sun-Road through the Glacier National Park.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:05 am

Going-To-The-Sun-Road
That's one freaky road. Just don't say, "what's the worst that can happen?"
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
That's one freaky road. Just don't say, "what's the worst that can happen?"
At least we will be on the safer side of the road! Actually that's not necessarily true - we will have to see won't we!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
That road looks quite epic. I have always wanted to go to big sky country so perhaps driving this road will tempt me...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the suggestion - looks like Russian River Brewery is based in Santa Rosa - we will be heading that way in the not too distant future.
This brewery/pub is highly recommended, one that people travel extreme distances to visit. There are a couple hotels you can walk to.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:47 am

You should post more and larger pictures. it would make your trip reports more enjoyable to read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.