Search
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:05 am

Live TR: MAN-LHR-BRU-LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA/SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR-BRU-LHR-MAN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Where's weed?
Right around mt. Shasta...north of redding.

If you have time, sometimes the drive from Portland via McMinnville to Lincoln city is good then down the coast. Some very good wine south west of portland. Also a great outlet shopping mall south of portland.

The only problem with moving off the i5 is never underestimate how slow the drive is on some of the roads between the coast at the i5 and down the coast. I grew up in yVR and would drive with my brothers to sfo every year to golf in the Monterey area.

Last edited by mkjr; Aug 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
We are now on our last flight of the day and the most painful. MIA - SEA will be a 6 hour marathon. Apparently this is a 757-200 but it's obviously an older variety. The seats are brown archaic things which are falling apart. I've done a lot of these 2 class flights with AA in my time and I can't remember anything as bad as this.

Perhaps my memory is going with age?
There are more of those flying around than any of us would like, sadly. Though at least AA is updating some aircraft with new seats and retiring 757s. I took my first AA 757 in 1998 and the seats you're referring to were present then
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
Right around mt. Shasta...north of redding.

If you have time, sometimes the drive from Portland via McMinnville to Lincoln city is good then down the coast. Some very good wine south west of portland. Also a great outlet shopping mall south of portland.

The only problem with moving off the i5 is never underestimate how slow the drive is on some of the roads between the coast at the i5 and down the coast. I grew up in yVR and would drive with my brothers to sfo every year to golf in the Monterey area.
Many thanks for your suggestions mkjr - we will see what we can do about fitting these places in.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
There are more of those flying around than any of us would like, sadly. Though at least AA is updating some aircraft with new seats and retiring 757s. I took my first AA 757 in 1998 and the seats you're referring to were present then
Well we have got just over an hour to go. The seats don't encourage a comfortable trip, but we have both managed to doze for a while. Looking forward to getting off this aircraft now and pick up our car from Hertz.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Thanks CMK10 - now reached the Premium Lounge on Concourse E. The lounge dragon was very slow in checking our BCs. Wanted to know when we had come from London. I just wonder whether the lounge is only for international pax?
had the exact same thought a few days back as we have a domestic LAS MIA and back same day trip coming up.

I did post in the AA board on the MIA lounge thread and it does appear that domestic as well as intl passengers can use the lounge.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Loving the TR so far, together with all the good banter and pics, loved the comment about the captain making the remark about " just making sure he was on the right plane" had a great chuckle on that. Gosh you must have been rather tired doing the LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA in one hop, hope you and the wife managed to crash out at the end of it and get some decent sleep, Look forward to the last part MIA-SEA^
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
.................. There was a tannoy announcement for us to find the AA rep, and when we found her she advised that we had less than two hours connection time and that we needed to head over to T8 without any delay and to use the yellow Express Connections ticket holder that she provided to us. I thought that was very good service....
that was pretty good the AA rep ensuring you had an express connection.

Did you proactively ask for it ?

Good luck with the 757!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Really enjoying all the updates... incredibly jealous as I sit here at my desk in work with the wind howling outside. The West coast is very appealing indeed right now!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
We are now on our last flight of the day and the most painful. MIA - SEA will be a 6 hour marathon. Apparently this is a 757-200 but it's obviously an older variety. The seats are brown archaic things which are falling apart. I've done a lot of these 2 class flights with AA in my time and I can't remember anything as bad as this.

Perhaps my memory is going with age?
We had one of those old AA757 in march but as luck would have it we were MIA-MCO so no problems for us..... 6 hours thats another kettle of fish. Sleep well when you get there.
John
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thejohn
We had one of those old AA757 in march but as luck would have it we were MIA-MCO so no problems for us..... 6 hours thats another kettle of fish. Sleep well when you get there.
John
I did the same trip in March on one (MIA-MCO).
It looks like the interior is still stained from when smoking was allowed onboard.
My daughter was actually scared because it was so shabby and now asks me to avoid AA altogether because of those rust buckets.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:40 am
Original Poster

So it's 5:30 here in Seattle - just woken up and the last part of our trip went smoothly from arrival at SEA, getting to the car rental centre, picking up the car and getting to the hotel. We arrived at Gate D7 and it's a heck of a walk to the exit! Waited 5 mins for the bus and picked up a silver Mustang Convert from Hertz. Hertz standard convertible is a Chrysler 200 (the renamed Sebring) which I wasn't looking forward to. Hampton Inn & Suites at the airport is very nice, lots of space.

We have a 300 mile drive today to get to Spokane. I've got a jet lag type headache and could really do with a Starbucks right now...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
had the exact same thought a few days back as we have a domestic LAS MIA and back same day trip coming up.

I did post in the AA board on the MIA lounge thread and it does appear that domestic as well as intl passengers can use the lounge.
I'm not quite sure what she was trying to get to with her questions. If a domestic with status can get in the lounge why does she need to know if and when we had come from London? If we were conversing with her then that's one thing, but she wasn't friendly at all.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Loving the TR so far, together with all the good banter and pics, loved the comment about the captain making the remark about " just making sure he was on the right plane" had a great chuckle on that. Gosh you must have been rather tired doing the LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA in one hop, hope you and the wife managed to crash out at the end of it and get some decent sleep, Look forward to the last part MIA-SEA^
At the start of the MIA-SEA flight we felt like death warmed up! After an hour or two's sleep and our natural body time starting to think it's Mon morning back in the UK, we were feeling a bit revived. I'm sure we will recover over the next few days once days start feeling like normal days again.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
that was pretty good the AA rep ensuring you had an express connection.

Did you proactively ask for it ?

Good luck with the 757!
No we didn't ask for it. When I heard our names called out over the tannoy I thought it might mean they had changed our flights due to the late running LHR-JFK flight, and I wasn't looking forward to having to cope with changes to our well worked out schedule. But turned out well, and thumbs up to AA! ^
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thejohn
John
Originally Posted by JamieABZ
I did the same trip in March on one (MIA-MCO).
It looks like the interior is still stained from when smoking was allowed onboard.
My daughter was actually scared because it was so shabby and now asks me to avoid AA altogether because of those rust buckets.
Yes it was a bit of a long flight in an uncomfortable seat. However I was just thinking of the TPs and billinghamv was swearing we would never do this again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.