UA/SK/SN EWR-TXL-CPH-TXL-BRU-EWR J/Y w/ Berlin, Hamburg & Copenhagen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA/SK/SN EWR-TXL-CPH-TXL-BRU-EWR J/Y w/ Berlin, Hamburg & Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: EB
@JVphoto - you say "As I experienced in OSL it seems Scandinavians are pretty good at tagging and dropping off their own bags. It wasn't crowded but at least it seems there is a Business/Plus/Gold section if things get backed up. For those curious the tag prints with PRIORITY however there is not the readily visible orange STAR ALLIANCE PRIORITY extra tag that is added to them."

In fact, normally you do get the orange PRIORITY *A tag. If you didn't get it you should've asked for it, because the gate agent must have been non-updated about the way to do the job This "priority" print on the TAG is of course quite hard to see for the guys working on the ground so the orange tag is still very much in use. I always get it on my C-class flights with SAS both domestic Sweden and Norway as well as international flights in europe.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by christianj
Cool trip report and I really liked your pics. Also learned something new from your post...what is a dürüm döner? Have been calling those things a doner kebab for years.

Originally Posted by Pangro
@JVphoto - you say "As I experienced in OSL it seems Scandinavians are pretty good at tagging and dropping off their own bags. It wasn't crowded but at least it seems there is a Business/Plus/Gold section if things get backed up. For those curious the tag prints with PRIORITY however there is not the readily visible orange STAR ALLIANCE PRIORITY extra tag that is added to them."

In fact, normally you do get the orange PRIORITY *A tag. If you didn't get it you should've asked for it, because the gate agent must have been non-updated about the way to do the job This "priority" print on the TAG is of course quite hard to see for the guys working on the ground so the orange tag is still very much in use. I always get it on my C-class flights with SAS both domestic Sweden and Norway as well as international flights in europe.
The thing was I didn't talk to a single agent since I used all the self-tagging. So if I wanted to I could/should have gone up and also had them give me an orange tab as well to then fasten myself?
Since it was just an RJ flight into TXL I wasn't too concerned, by the time they bussed us to the baggage claim and used the WC the bags were all coming out a few minutes later.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

SN Y TXL-BRU UA J BRU-EWR

More an info/experience post than stunning photography.
Up and at em at the buttcrack of dawn to head to Tegel to fly TXL-BRU-EWR.

The beauty of Tegel and Mitte is the ease and location where in the early mornings it takes like 20 minutes and even if there is "traffic" in Berlin it's never taken me more than 30 min and usually is always a 20-22E ride.
Compared to the SK TXL-CPH flight where it was a made house, check in was pretty bare and they had the separate lanes for Y and then J/*G. Luckily the SN flights leave from the A terminal where every gate has its own security.

I arrived at about 5:35 and the LH lounge opens at 5:15...with boarding at 6:20 I had some time for breakfast.

At least with LH lounges you know you have the consistency in offerings.

I get a little kick out of taking these very early flights to hubs or places like FRA and LHR where for the most part they seem like the businessman express and here I am the photographer coming off a bender.

I wish the U.S. was so liberated...

They had called for J and *G to board first in the preboarding announcement but really it seemed like they said now boarding and didn't enforce anything. Not much of a problem the load was pretty light on the A319.
I had booked this flight with United through BRU instead of the direct TXL-EWR because at the time I was using a GPU to upgrade from Y to J and wanted to do so where it had confirmed R space to immediately do so. While you have to book in the more expensive Y fare classes for UA so that you can use the GPU on the UA leg. You won't get upgraded on the other partner flights but you are also booking into that higher fare class as well...in this case I was surprised that having to book W on UA went into SN's Y b.light.

B.light is in the back half of the plane, 23kg limit and 1 carry on 6kg limit with everything BOB, seat selection at check in.. In front of that is b.flex Y+ where you get drinks/snacks, 23kg check and 12kg carry on...and MAY have a free middle seat, advanced seat selection. The J on the short flights are like everything else intra-EU where it's a blocked middle seat in the front with food.
The only thing that I was slightly worried about was enforcing the carry on weight limit since I can't recall having flown a carrier where it had it listed so in depth and also on the OLCI BPs. All I have is a backpack with my camera and hard drives and stuff in it, but has a bit of weight to it.

Just about an hour flight we arrived on time and then were bussed into Terminal A where I would have to transfer to Terminal B.
Transferring you have to re-clear security...there's an underground walkway and then you snake back through passport control and then get to security where there is an automated gate for expedited lane that has a big display showing which airlines/classes are allowed in.

I hadn't connected in BRU since 2010 and couldn't really remember the process. I found the lounge and the dragon said I had to go to the transfer desk, so I decided to then (I had about an hour before boarding) and would come back. Took about 20 minutes with a few people in line where they asked the security questions and then gave me a new BP...they also asked that all electronics had power and could be turned on.

I had about 25 min to spend in the lounge.
Bleh.

Crowded, a little bit of stuff to nibble on but at least a decent amount of hooch to drink.

Boarding was a little messy as the Group 1-5 lanes sort of spill out into the middle of the concourse. As they were about to begin boarding a DYKWIA rushed up and was nearly at a yell "GLOBAL SERVICES! GLOBAL SERVICES!" in the face of one of the Securitas security workers so just sort of stared at him and then..."randomly" selected him for secondary screening.
I also got selected which took about an extra 5-7 min to wait for the person in front of me to finish and as I knew what was going on I got out my laptop turned it on, had my phone on and then gave them my backpack. I had to turn on my two digital cameras and then show them and take apart my film Hasselblad to say it can't be turned on as it has no power source. They also asked me to take my iPhone out of its case.

Cheery "senior" UA staff with a few "fresh recruits" who mainly manned the galley prep for most of the flight.
This was my second time in UA BF with it being the first in a 777, the first was on the way over in a 767 and everything else has been UA GF or UACO BF. This meant the layout was 2-4-2 in BF where no one has uninterrupted aisle access. The 767s are at least 2-2-2 with forward and rear facing. Facing the galley there wasn't much noise or disturbance during the flight...while I was a bit tired from the weekend I did sleep a little but I feel even if it were an overnight I would have been fine. I still prefer the CO BF seats as in the UA ones there is simply no place to put your stuff and small items...I also can't sleep on my back that comfortably as they for me are more narrow around where my shoulders and arms hit.

Apparently I dozed off for about 20 min which was when they were taking the orders. So the purser came to me and asked me for my order...I thought he had just started taking them and I was like wow I mean I know I'm a 1K but there has to be GS or someone else on there too. Then I realized it was because I was zonked out.

My first choice was the salmon and 2nd the beef...you'll see I got the beef. Maybe it was because I was asleep and last to order but technically GS and 1K are supposed to have their orders prioritized...the non-status lady next to me got the salmon. Looking at it I was happy I ended up with the beef. The sauce was good, potatoes tasty, meat wasn't too dry, carrots firm but the peas lost their snap.
I normally take caramel but they had loaded two fudge instead so I tried that. I had always thought it was runny hot chocolate which I don't like, but it was nice to know that it's actually fudge topping.
I thought they were also trying a new name for the "chicken bouquet" we see on so many flights for the arrival snack...but when this came out it seemed like a fancier version of the domestic F burrito. However, it was pretty good! Keep the bouquet and I'll take this again if I have to.

Getting bored with the UA IFE, maybe it's the amount of recent flights but I couldn't find much I wanted to watch...have domestic in Sept and then INTL in Oct so hopefully there will be some fresh stuff.

Thanks for the ride...

No one in line at customs, first GE Kiosk I went to wouldn't read my passport, went to another and worked fine.
Bags came pretty quick but I was sitting there waiting...and waiting and then starting to think...sh*t was I supposed to claim my bag in BRU and recheck it?? I've never had to do that with an EU connection before...but maybe also the extra security and transfer stuff we had to do? Get on my phone and try to google some info about that and can't really see anything so I just continue to wait and then it finally comes out. There was no *G Priority tag on it which is why I got nervous when the last of those came out and my bag wasn't on it. I didn't notice but at TXL the agent must have never put one on since I was flying in Y (even though on my SN BP it had my FF# and even said *G).
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report - love the photos of Berlin and Copenhagen. The UA photos not so much. Don't you get a bit of a sinking feeling setting foot on a UA plane yet again? Even in international BF, knowing that absolutely everything is going to be mediocre at best?

Look I know this is a first world problem of the highest order, but I find flying business class on UA just so depressing. Having done a couple of SYD-JFKs recently in UA, your photos really bring back that ugh feeling. Imagine my delight when, on my last SYD-LAX, UA cancelled and they put us on QF - ahhhh, sweet blessed relief to be on a first world carrier.

/rant over

I guess my point is: any fun non-UA flying coming up, that could put your very evident photography skills to better use?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:54 am
Original Poster

In October I'll be on short haul TK J & Y and LH F FRA-JFK. Nov/Dec I will be on SA J + LH J. That is all paid stuff. I fly the mediocre UA so I can get my GPUs for TATL hops and then my miles to redeem. In March I will fly BR J, TG F on redemptions.
I've done past TRs on NH J/F, OZ F + TG J that you can peep.

Of course trying anything new or less frequent is exciting, I wouldn't say that UA gets my spirits down but that for the most part I'll have a comfortable bed to get me to the destination I'm excited about.

Re the photography the stuff on the planes is just using my iPhone that I then upload the pic to Twitter which compressions and eats up some of the quality. The obviously "better" photos of cities or maybe one or two plane shots are using my point and shoot Leica X2 that I pop around with. My professional work is all people that I use a 5D but I rarely am taking that out in the city with TR stuff. After some of the trips I will also post some photos from my medium format film Hasselblad or Fuji 6x9 that I'll use on occasion (ie Thailand).
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Very nice and enjoyable report as always. Berlin is perhaps one of the more underrated capitals in Europe, and it also happens to be one of my favorite cities. Partly because it's so cheap, but also for the food and nightlife scene. Make sure to visit Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap in Mehringdamm next time. They have THE best Döner you'll ever try. Sure the queues are long but it's well worth it.

Out of curiosity, how comes you chose to fly SAS PLUS on the short TXL-CPH legs?

Must say that Uninental looks fairly good. I've only flown them once on SNN-EWR in BusinessFirst and I was fortunate enough to see their best side. Haven't flown the PMUA product, but I'm guessing it's a bit inferior at least if the 772 has 8-abreast in Business.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Very nice and enjoyable report as always. Berlin is perhaps one of the more underrated capitals in Europe, and it also happens to be one of my favorite cities. Partly because it's so cheap, but also for the food and nightlife scene. Make sure to visit Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap in Mehringdamm next time. They have THE best Döner you'll ever try. Sure the queues are long but it's well worth it.

Out of curiosity, how comes you chose to fly SAS PLUS on the short TXL-CPH legs?

Must say that Uninental looks fairly good. I've only flown them once on SNN-EWR in BusinessFirst and I was fortunate enough to see their best side. Haven't flown the PMUA product, but I'm guessing it's a bit inferior at least if the 772 has 8-abreast in Business.

Thanks for sharing!
I will check out Mustafa's next time...when I do Döner it is usually pretty late/early and on route home from Watergate, Berghain, Weekend etc. A Berlin native has taken me twice to Döner near Schlesisches Tor U/Warschauer that he says is the best/his favorite.

The price difference between Go and Plus was not that much on these legs that I just wanted to be sure I would get full credit to my UA MP account and I figure on each leg the little bottle of wine and/or snack made up for it, seating near the front...just didn't feel like hassling with looking up to see if the fare credits and then rebooking into higher, etc.

Yes, I do not like the pmUA BF seat mostly because there isn't place to put your stuff. With the pmCO BF seat you have a tray and section up next to your head to but the kit, water bottle, phone, book, etc. And with pmUA you are either 2-2-2 or 2-4-2. With pmCO you have either 2-2-2 or 2-2 or 2-1-2. Being a single traveler 95% of the time I like the 764 which has the 2-1-2 so I can snag a single seat. If not I'll do what I can to be on the 2-2-2 so I can have aisle access. With all the flights to TXL though for the past 4.5 years this was the first that was not on a 2-2 752.
This debate goes on ad nauseam in the UA forum.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In October I'll be on short haul TK J & Y and LH F FRA-JFK. Nov/Dec I will be on SA J + LH J. That is all paid stuff. I fly the mediocre UA so I can get my GPUs for TATL hops and then my miles to redeem. In March I will fly BR J, TG F on redemptions.
I've done past TRs on NH J/F, OZ F + TG J that you can peep.
TK should give you some interesting photo ops. I flew them for the first time last month and was very impressed, especially by their amazing lounge at IST. Are you spending any time in Istanbul itself? Another city with truly amazing photographic potential.

I've read and enjoyed your NH/OZ/TG reports, thanks. ^

Of course trying anything new or less frequent is exciting, I wouldn't say that UA gets my spirits down but that for the most part I'll have a comfortable bed to get me to the destination I'm excited about.
True enough. And believe me I feel lucky to be up front rather than down the back. I just with that Jeff and co would give the staff a bit more to work with... would spending $3-5 more on their bottles of wine or varying the dessert from those 100% artificial sundaes or putting showers and decent food in hub lounges really be so hard?

Incidentally, being based near EWR you get mostly pmCO equipment etc, and there's no doubt in my mind it's better. Even the food was still better for the first year or two post-merger though I suspect that difference has been erased now.

Re the photography the stuff on the planes is just using my iPhone that I then upload the pic to Twitter which compressions and eats up some of the quality. The obviously "better" photos of cities or maybe one or two plane shots are using my point and shoot Leica X2 that I pop around with. My professional work is all people that I use a 5D but I rarely am taking that out in the city with TR stuff. After some of the trips I will also post some photos from my medium format film Hasselblad or Fuji 6x9 that I'll use on occasion (ie Thailand).
Sorry if I gave the impression your UA photos themselves weren't good; I was referring 100% to the over-familiar subject matter. I've never seen you post a bad shot. I guess I've just had a UA rant brewing for a while. Sorry to use your excellent report as an excuse.

Last edited by mad_atta; Aug 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Yes I will be spending 4 nights in Istanbul. Should be a nice trip with photos from there, Amsterdam, the Lufthansa x Porsche 911 and then the trip back over in F which recently changed from the 744 w/ seat bed to the 748 in the nose. I'm looking forward to the 748, just one less photo I'll have with the novelty of being in a separate bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.