FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA/SK/SN EWR-TXL-CPH-TXL-BRU-EWR J/Y w/ Berlin, Hamburg & Copenhagen
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:34 pm
mad_atta

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In October I'll be on short haul TK J & Y and LH F FRA-JFK. Nov/Dec I will be on SA J + LH J. That is all paid stuff. I fly the mediocre UA so I can get my GPUs for TATL hops and then my miles to redeem. In March I will fly BR J, TG F on redemptions.
I've done past TRs on NH J/F, OZ F + TG J that you can peep.
TK should give you some interesting photo ops. I flew them for the first time last month and was very impressed, especially by their amazing lounge at IST. Are you spending any time in Istanbul itself? Another city with truly amazing photographic potential.

I've read and enjoyed your NH/OZ/TG reports, thanks. ^

Of course trying anything new or less frequent is exciting, I wouldn't say that UA gets my spirits down but that for the most part I'll have a comfortable bed to get me to the destination I'm excited about.
True enough. And believe me I feel lucky to be up front rather than down the back. I just with that Jeff and co would give the staff a bit more to work with... would spending $3-5 more on their bottles of wine or varying the dessert from those 100% artificial sundaes or putting showers and decent food in hub lounges really be so hard?

Incidentally, being based near EWR you get mostly pmCO equipment etc, and there's no doubt in my mind it's better. Even the food was still better for the first year or two post-merger though I suspect that difference has been erased now.

Re the photography the stuff on the planes is just using my iPhone that I then upload the pic to Twitter which compressions and eats up some of the quality. The obviously "better" photos of cities or maybe one or two plane shots are using my point and shoot Leica X2 that I pop around with. My professional work is all people that I use a 5D but I rarely am taking that out in the city with TR stuff. After some of the trips I will also post some photos from my medium format film Hasselblad or Fuji 6x9 that I'll use on occasion (ie Thailand).
Sorry if I gave the impression your UA photos themselves weren't good; I was referring 100% to the over-familiar subject matter. I've never seen you post a bad shot. I guess I've just had a UA rant brewing for a while. Sorry to use your excellent report as an excuse.

Last edited by mad_atta; Aug 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm