Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France NEW Full Flat Business Class: JFK-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:47 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Looks like slightly enhanced US/CX?AA seat (which is a great product). Breakfast looks average.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As for service on a night flight from JFK to CDG, all the airlines have brief service due to the hour and brevity of the flight. This is why BA serves meals in the lounge. Personally I don't need much service at all on this flight as I like to sleep the whole way. Which I now can with the AF's flat seats.

To me this isn't about making AF the best. AF long haul already is the best in Europe in most every way other than seats. It's about catching up in the most important way. Flat seats.

And I've never really noticed whether AF gives Champagne pre-departure in the US. I guess I get my fill in the lounge. Although my most recent AF flight CDG-GRU I clearly do recall pre-flight Champagne and on this leg also pre-flight Mango juice. So a Mango Mimosa for me.

As for the Cirrus seat. I've tried it most recently on US CDG-PHL-CDG and was able to sleep well. So I'm happy with the choice. I hope that AF can accelerate the seat swap as quick as possible. The way it's planned it may take years before I happen on one of these planes.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Leadership
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I thought AF always served champagne as a pre-departure option. When did this change?
I always had Champagne before with AF as PDB, sometimes they wait for the doors to be closed (India), but in the case of US it seems that they now refuse to pay applicable taxes which is a shame IMO.
+1 they have to pay additional tax on the ground in thw US so they chose to wait until in the air
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by stimpy
As for the Cirrus seat. I've tried it most recently on US CDG-PHL-CDG and was able to sleep well. So I'm happy with the choice. I hope that AF can accelerate the seat swap as quick as possible. The way it's planned it may take years before I happen on one of these planes.
If you do CDG-JFK regularly in J, then the seat is quickly booked. Instead of offering seatroulette in the years to come, AF is rolling the seats out on specific flights, and that has started with AF006 and AF009. The same sort of "guarantee" will start apearing on other routes as well.

Thanks OP for the the trip report. My turn to try the new seats is next month
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by TPJ
Looks like slightly enhanced US/CX?AA seat (which is a great product). Breakfast looks average.
Where is the enhancement?

The lack of leg rest (calf support) that can be raised half way during meals or napping/reading time does not look like a great idea to me.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Zembla
If you do CDG-JFK regularly in J, then the seat is quickly booked. Instead of offering seatroulette in the years to come, AF is rolling the seats out on specific flights, and that has started with AF006 and AF009. The same sort of "guarantee" will start apearing on other routes as well.
I rarely go to New York from Europe. Otherwise I would have had a lot more Concorde flights under my belt. I mostly fly to LAX, JNB, YUL and other routes which may not have these seats til 2017 or so as they are mostly served by A380. I'm much more likely to find flat seats on KLM in the coming years.

But you never know. It will happen when it happens.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by DartagnanHSC
I've heard that before and also that it has something to do with the US dept of Agriculture since the beverage was not bought in the US--no idea if that's true or not, but it's a shame. I've had instances where AF has served Champagne PDB ex-US and others where they haven't. I've also experienced this on DL overseas.
IIRC Cathay does serve champagne as PDB in the US, believe the door was still open.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report. Seats look very stylish and the reverse herringbone is hands down the best configuration. Flew EVA Air in Business last week and th seats were easily the best I've ever flown in. Though I notice that the screen on the AF seat is located in a box thing which appears to be taking up space from above the legs. Did this make the seat feel more cramped than those on e.g AA/CX, where the screen folds flat to the side?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LH4116
Nice report. Seats look very stylish and the reverse herringbone is hands down the best configuration. Flew EVA Air in Business last week and th seats were easily the best I've ever flown in. Though I notice that the screen on the AF seat is located in a box thing which appears to be taking up space from above the legs. Did this make the seat feel more cramped than those on e.g AA/CX, where the screen folds flat to the side?
I flew with AA & CX on the Cirrus and the AF version do not seem more cramped by any means, the large ottoman (thanks to the missing leg support) is pretty comfortable when you want to raise your legs in a seated position but you may find it uncomfortable if you are short.

The AF seat could be a little bit wider than AA & CX but don't quote me on that.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
IIRC Cathay does serve champagne as PDB in the US, believe the door was still open.
AF used to serve Champagne as PDB in US, so I am not sure what have changed, US regulation or AF policy?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the report.

Their food is atrocious. Even in F. And the presentation is awful for a "French" airline. The first thing anyone thinks of when they think of France? Food. And they present this rubbish?

The croissant pictured for breakfast is obviously something mass-produced and then frozen and later thawed out - it is shameful.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:43 pm

AF used to serve Champagne as PDB in US, so I am not sure what have changed, US regulation or AF policy?
Must have been AF.

It would not have anything to do with "US regulations".
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:37 pm

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I quite like the design/colours of the new seat, but I reckon the white surfaces will show all kinds of marks very quickly. That one appetizer looked good, but that breakfast is pathetic.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I quite like the design/colours of the new seat, but I reckon the white surfaces will show all kinds of marks very quickly. That one appetizer looked good, but that breakfast is pathetic.
Agree, breakfast was bland and the croissant was dry and tiny, they should at least offer some cold cuts (cheese, ham, smoked salmon).
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
they should at least offer some cold cuts (cheese, ham, smoked salmon).
Unions disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.