Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Khors of Oman- via Japan, Poland & the UAE. RTW in Biz (NH787,OZ,TG,EY,TK,LH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Khors of Oman- via Japan, Poland & the UAE. RTW in Biz (NH787,OZ,TG,EY,TK,LH)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 4:58 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

Our visit was at 8 AM or what one would normally consider breakfast time. At this hour, the coffee machine was broken. Scrambled eggs were out when we arrived, but once they ran out – there were no more to be had until 930 AM. I read this sign and understood breakfast to be between these hours, not 7:30 AM AND 9:30 AM. I asked about this and was informed that I had missed out and would have to wait until 9:30 AM. Seriously?
Oh nooooooo... They always had hot food available throughout the day in OZ Satellite lounge (as opposite to the Main Terminal lounge where food is available only during certain periods...). Time to change text in my footer
Old May 24, 2014, 5:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Royal Silk Lounge
Survarnabhumi Airport,
Bangkok, Thailand

The food didn’t represent to be all too appetizing, which I think is accurately captured in the photographs. Just the essentials please…
I noticed the same... Food at TG lounge went downhill recently (and has never been too good...) Maybe the plan is to 'force' us to use SQ and BR lounges in BKK to make room for non-Star airlines (like QR or UL) that contract the TG lounges for their eligible passengers
Old May 28, 2014, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by farbster
Is the tea the cheapest way to get into the hotel? Looks like rooms are around $2,000/night?

Very nice TR. Thanks for taking the time...
Thanks farbaster. Yes - using the food and beverage outlets, the tea is one of the cheapest ways to get into the hotel.

You can visit the Skyview Bar with a minimum 320 AED ($90 USD) spend per person. This would probably be about 4 drinks each or 1 drink and one snack per person. We opted for the tea as we felt it was better value.

Originally Posted by offerendum
2000 $ is at high season correct. The cheapest way seems to be buffet at Bab Al Yam or some Cocktails at Sky Bar. Food is totally overpriced, Tourist-ticket to Burj Al Arab.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The price for Afternoon Tea is per person or per set?
Originally Posted by fieldeng
Per person.
Thanks offerendum, dieuwer2 and fieldeng - the guest clientele at the Burj Al Arab hotel appears to be a strange mix of older, strangely tropically attired "Tommy Bahama" affluent travelers with the occasional younger celubante thrown in there for good measure.

It's a little challenging to put your finger on the exact clientele of who pays for a room like this. Needless to say, some obviously do. Perhaps for the same reason guests like myself attend for over priced tea. . . .

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Great TR, brings back memories of my own trip with my son last month to Dubai and Oman. Nice photos inside the Burj al Arab. That place is certainly over the top.

For those looking to get inside the Burj another alternative is the Culinary Flight lunch or dinner. We did lunch to celebrate my son's high school graduation (see my trip report).

Each of the lunch courses was served in a different restaurant, starting with the Al Mahara "underwater" restaurant, then we moved to the Junsui asian fusion restaurant for the 2nd course. Mains were served up on the top floor's Al Muntaha then dessert back in the lobby's Sahn Eddar. Food and service were both excellent and we were treated like VIPs and not like the camera-toting tourists that we were! Advance reservations are mandatory and can be made by phone or via e-mail through the hotel's website. And yes, security does check to make sure you are "on the list" before they allow you across the causeway to the hotel property.

We reached the Burj by taking the Metro to the Mall of the Emirates (where we hung out for a while in the morning) before taking a short taxi ride over to the hotel for lunch.

And for those who are curious what it costs...it is as you would guess not cheap. 980AED (US$266) per person but service is included.
Interesting perspective El Cochinito. I enjoyed your trip report.

I had no idea that the restaurant tour was available. That would have been an interesting perspective on the different outlets- including a cheaper visit to the underwater restaurant.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Oh nooooooo... They always had hot food available throughout the day in OZ Satellite lounge (as opposite to the Main Terminal lounge where food is available only during certain periods...). Time to change text in my footer
Originally Posted by TPJ
I noticed the same... Food at TG lounge went downhill recently (and has never been too good...) Maybe the plan is to 'force' us to use SQ and BR lounges in BKK to make room for non-Star airlines (like QR or UL) that contract the TG lounges for their eligible passengers
Thanks TPJ -

As a business transfer passenger, you'd hope for a decent snack when passing through or departing from a carrier's major hubs through the offerings provided in their lounges. Sadly, this wasn't the case on our visits to either of the Incheon or Survarnabhumi airports.

OZ was a complete miss despite a nicely decorated space. TG gave off the impression of a company that was looking to cut back on their offerings as a result of higher costs.

Both unfortunately weren't highlights of this particular journey.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Etihad Chauffeur Drive
Grosvenor House, Dubai – Abu Dhabi International Terminal 3

I’ve always wanted to return to the United Arab Emirates for a driving holiday. We had a blast driving around on our last visit to Qsar Al Sarab and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Initially, I wanted to drive from the United Arab Emirates on the highway into Oman. However, reading reports on the internet about semi complicated border crossings, getting exit stamps, entry visas, purchasing additional Omani car insurance and sourcing a car rental agency that would allow you to travel across the border with their cars proved to be a headache. Add to this, the occasional Trip Advisor horror story of windshield rock damage on rental cars and we decided that it was just easier to fly.

Since Etihad has a distance based reward chart, we were able to secure 2 tickets in business class, including the complimentary Eithad Chauffeur drive, for a reasonable 12,000 miles and 85 AED ($37 USD) taxes and fees per person round trip (that’s 6,000 miles per segment). Indeed with a few clicks of the mouse our flights were instantly booked. It was much easier than sorting out all the driving and immigration processes.

We booked the included Etihad Chauffeur in advance through the Etihad website. The process requires a separate sign in, and completing of an online request p to 48 hours prior to travel. The information is then passed on to their transport provider, who is supposed to contact you to confirm your collection / pick up time.

On the day prior to departure, no confirmation call as promised was received from the Etihad Chauffeur Drive company to our North American area code cellphone. Since the Abu Dhabi airport is about 120 kilometers from Dubai, I wanted to confirm the travel arrangements so I wouldn’t have to put together alternate transportation to the airport at the last minute.

Since Eithad doesn’t provide a direct number to the service provider arranging the chauffeur service, I called the main Etihad Global Contact center in the United Arab Emirates. Our first call was at 1 PM the day prior to travel (you can see where this was going). I was told that the chauffeur provider would usually collect you 3 hours before. “The chauffeur company will call you, or email maybe…”

The day passed and we never received a call, (or email maybe...) Our second call to the Etihad UAE Glboal Contact Center again at 7 PM the day before travel. We were told that the Chauffer Drive would be there at 6:05 AM. I was read back the pickup address by Etihad and told not to worry. In the end, we never received a call from the transportation provider.

It was an interesting set up as we wouldn’t have known the pickup time if I hadn’t chased them down. For a service that’s supposed to be catered towards business travelers that actually have less time, I spent more time chasing them down trying to get answers.

On the day of departure we arrived downstairs at the Grosvenor Hotel check out. The time of 6:05 AM rolled by with no sign of limo. Even the concierge staff at the door started to get worried. The Grosvenor House concierge proactively placed what was now a third call to Etihad to look for the limo. “I’m sorry – their guest service center office are closed. Do you have another number ?” While I was opening up my laptop, the car rolled up at 6:20 AM. The driver had told us that was the appointed time pick up time, but no one ever got a hold of us to inform us of that.

Today’s transport was in a black Audi A6, which appeared to be common vehicle in the fleet for the Chauffeur Drive to and from Abu Dhabi.

Before we knew it, the Audi A6 was loaded up and we were headed down the A20 expressway to Abu Dhabi at 140 km/h (the posted speed limit) to Abu Dhabi Terminal 3. Etihad branded water was also provided.

We arrived to Abu Dhabi airport after 50 minutes. The driver was unclear about which terminal I was headed to. Luckily we had the information handy and not buried in the laptop back in the trunk of the car.

The car was unloaded the car curbside at Terminal Three and we were greeted by an Etihad Porter. Etihad uses porters for it’s business and first class travelers departing from Abu Dhabi. We were led in by the porter into the business class line. The porter acted much like a porter, and less like a Walmart Greeter or a host. The porter didn’t say much.

Initial impressions of the exclusive check in area was an area of chaos – people all over the place, kids running about and no real separation from the first and business class groups aside from a corridor.

We were promptly checked in. Bags were weighed. Instead of being placed on a conveyer belt, the bags were left behind the counter and portered to a conveyer belt just off the check in banks.

We were stamped out of the UAE immigration and joined the blended first and business queue at the dedicated security screening. Security was much more relaxed here with no laptops out and bottled water was allowed through the security screening.

We stepped over to the Etihad Business Lounge Terminal 3. The terminal is now showing its age. Thankfully a new one is coming along. We stepped into a cramped elevator along with a family of 5 for a ride up on floor to the business lounge.

This was our third visit to this lounge. Every time we have visited, the lounge has always been stuffed full. The only time the lounge was empty, was on on our last visit when we were stuck here at 3 AM as a result of a mechanical issue on our flight to Doha. Today was somewhat similar, hardly anywhere to sit with many wandering looking for chairs.

What Etihad loses out on in space, they make up for in catering. Lanson Champagne was available on pour and a full English Buffet Breakfast was out on offer. I have to say that aside from some Lufthansa First Class Lounge experiences in Frankfurt, or the Thai Royal First Lounge in Bangkok, the Etihad Business Class Lounge offered among the nicest feature food catering that I’ve ever experienced in a Business Lounge.

We settled in waiting our flight. Given our late arrival and all the lines at check in, immigration and security, we only had 30 minutes in the lounge. We didn’t get the opportunity to use the Six Senses Spa this visit, although many therapists (if you can call them that) appeared to be waiting around for customers to use their services.

Some nice airside views from the lounge:

We left the lounge at T-40 to head to Gate 47. Several announcements were played asking passengers to proceed to the new US Pre-Clearance area for flights to Washington, Chicago and New York near gates 58-61.

Overall the Etihad Lounge has great catering and good wine available on offer. Unfortunately, the "hurry up and wait" syndrome appears to apply here. It's great for Etihad to offer Six Senses spa services and a great buffet, but if you can't use them because your time is gobbled up by other issues it makes the departure experience a little less wonderful.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Etihad Airlines
Business Class
AUH-MCT (Abu Dhabi Terminal 3 – Muscat International Airport, Oman)
EY382 – Pearl Business Class (I)
April 21, 2014
9:05 AM – 10:10 AM
Booked: Airbus 320
Flown: Airbus 320-200

We arrived to gate 47 as the Pearl Business Class boarding commenced. Business class got a separate bus today, which left from the gate promptly.

A short ride out to remote stand where most of Etihad’s short haul aircraft were lined up...

Along with some other guest aircraft...

Not really sure why this was here since Abu Dhabi isn't a normal A380 route for TG. It was parked at a non operational position near a hangar. Maintenance perhaps?

On board, the Pearl Business Cabin on the Airbus 320 features a pleasant light green barca lounger style chair designed by Recaro. The seats are now showing a little bit of wear given their light colors. A combination of old and new pictures. . .

The in flight entertainment is in a monitor stowed in the arm rest.

Etihad used to feature excellent boarding music aimed to welcome you on board the aircraft. It’s so soothing, it’s actually my alarm wake up music at home.

Since our last trip in 2012, they’ve replaced this music with a more contemporary video presentation featuring all the destinations that they serve. If you’re like me and missing the boarding music, I suggest calling their call center to look for your Etihad Chauffeur. It’s now found a home there as their “hold” music.

Once settled into our seats, we were offered a pre-departure beverage choice of water, orange juice or lemon and mint. I had the lemon and mint which was delicious. We were taken care of by Carly, the Etihad Service Director on this short one hour trip.

We were also offered hot towel on a tray.

A quick boarding process thanks to the non gate position. We were underway in no time. The cool Abu Dhabi air traffic control tower on our way to runway 15.

We were served the usual assortment of baked goods hot and cold. It was served along with a glass of champagne. It was fabulous catering for such a short flight and North American Carriers could take note of the differences in product.

Flying in this part of the world always offers super interesting scenary. The approach into Muscat, Oman looked like flying into Tatooine – the fictional desert planet featured in the first Star Wars film (Episode IV) where Luke Skywalker discovers the hidden message inside R2D2. It's okay if you didn't know where Tatooine was - I had to ask my 10 year old son what the Star Wars island was called in the movie in order to compare it to the landscapes of Oman.

A quick touch down at Oman International Airport parked at a non gate position. A very short bus ride to the terminal.

Oman offered visa on arrival, with no ability to obtain a visa in advance for tourist purposes at an Omani Embassy or Consulate. We lined up to get the visa, conveniently located at the Currency Exchange Desk, and was asked if we came from Dubai this morning? Staying at the Grosvenor, we said yes. Apparently this exempted us from needed a visa for the stay. We joined the passport immirgration line, and was partially processed, when we were advised we actually did need the visa as we flew out of Abu Dhabi. A bit of a mix up, we re-attended the currency exchange counter and got a visa. Duty free on arrival was also available.

We collected the bags which were off the belt by this point as we were the last ones and headed for the exit and X-Ray Screening. Customs asked us in queue how many bottles of liquor we had. We had 4 bottles (1 vodka and three wine) but I believe the X-Ray picked up MrsWT73’s empty metal vodka bottle packed in her suitcase. This didn’t lead to further questioning and after a few back and forth questions in English with the line building up behind us, we were waved on and out into the general arrivals hall at Muscat.

Instead of the car service, we opted for a taxi to the hotel. I pre-paid 15 OM Ryals ($42 USD) for a 1 hour taxi to the Shangri La. We received a driver in a Toyota Camry who was a bit of a lead foot aling with a lead brake.

Surprising infrastructure for Oman. I certainly wasn't expecting 4 lane highways along with fabulous views.

Beautiful mosques along the main highway across town.

Along with some attractive ocean and city views.

A beautiful drive in and we were looking forward to a great stay at the Shangri La Oman Bandar Al Jissah Resort. After an easy 1 hour drive, we arrived to the resort.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Shangri-La
Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa, Oman
Al Waha – Superior “Pool View” Room

We were looking for a nice place to stay but also wanted to take advantage of the beautiful Oman scenery. I did some research between the Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort and The Chedi. We decided on the Shangri La and we were not disappointed.

Since Shangri La didn’t offer much incentive to book through their booking channels, and a rather pathetic 1,500 frequent flyer miles to be earned through their Golden Circle program for this reservation, we ended up looking elsewhere. We ended up booking through Rocketmiles who offered 11,000 Aeroplan miles for this booking (2,250 points per night) and a 3,000 point promotional first time booking bonus.

The Shangri La hotel offers three different hotel experiences within one resort.

Al-Waha – family hotel. Rates starting at: 140 OMR ($360 USD) per night w/ breakfast.
Al-Bandar – business hotel: Rates starting at: 160 OMR ($415 USD) per night w/ breakfast.
Al-Husn – luxury hotel: Rates starting at: 212 OMR ($550 USD) per night w/ breakfast.

I did note that the rates went down quite considerably (as much as 35%) the closer to the booking. All the rooms in the lower categories were eventually sold out on our visit. I booked a refundable rate and locked in at the lower rate when it became available. The rates were also lower in the heat of the high summer.

On arrival at noon, it was clearly not the time to arrive at a hotel. Many people were at reception checking out. Many were destination tourists such as grandma and grandpa kettles and had their packages booked through tour operators. This made for a slower process at the reception counter. Some photos of the Al - Waha lobby after the masses had left.

Frankincense, the spice most commonly traded in Oman, was usually found burning in the lobby…

Our room was not ready on arrival so we changed into swimwear and headed to the beach for the day. They asked for our cell number and indicated that they would call when the room was ready. Of course, the call never arrived, highlighting a trend here in the Middle East. I think this was as a result of dealing with a sheer volume of guests.

After the day at the beach, we moved into room #3439 on the top floor. Bags were already in the room on arrival to the suite. I would have thought buying through a third party travel vendor like Rocket Miles would have given us the room next to the ice machine or the elevator shaft but we thankfully ended up on the top floor with a peek a boo ocean view.

The room was nicely decorated for a standard room. The bathroom was spacious.

A mini bar was also available. The resort was not all inclusive, so items from the mini bar were on a pay basis. Water was provided complimentary.

There was also a small deck space outside with two seating chairs.

Peek a boo views off the Indian Ocean.

The real star of this resort is the scenery of the khors (rocky inlets) that the hotel is situated in. The resort is situated in one of the only commercially developed Khors of Oman. Staying here made for an beautiful experience.

The resort offered a few pathways along the beach on top of the sea wall. These pathways took you along to the hidden cover of Turtle Beach inside a shallow, and the natural arch. The pathways were not long enough to have an exercise run on, but were pleasant enough for a short walk in between sun tanning.

The hidden turtle beach on the resort flanked by the Al Husn hotel on top of the photo. The beach was roped off, although there were no turtle eggs on this particular beach on our visit. Several visitors were seen taking a dip here. The resort has a turtle conservationist on site. Several areas of the beach were roped off in a small circle to protect hatching sites.

The beach itself was split into two areas; the beach area and the grass area. For some reason, the loungers on the beach itself (on the sand) have no cushions on them. The loungers on the grass offered comfortable padding with good cushions I don’t know why there is this distinction but this led to a race of people saving chairs for later use during the day. On one day when we arrived at 12:30 PM, there were no padded chairs to be had. We got a bit sharper on the rest of the trip.

The beach itself was not anything special. Rather, it was special, but not as special as the price per night. It had quite a few shells on it and wasn’t a beach with fine sand from the Maldives or Ko Phi Phi Don in Thailand. We stayed the majority of the time on the grass area, listening to the waves and enjoying the scenery.

Generally, the Al Waha side was full of kids. Al Bandar side was more adult. We took all our meals on the Al Waha side. Overall, I thought it was a great resort for kids.

If you were looking for exclusivity and privacy, then you’d need to book the Al Husn side. It’s completely walled off from the other two resorts (including the beach access) where as you can pass freely between Al Waha and Al Bandar. As noted, our room over looked the family pool, although this was pretty quiet after 7 PM.

This resort isn’t the place for peace and serenity. There were large lines at buffet breakfast, which was included at any resort restaurant serving breakfast in our rate. The wait staff were primarily Asian which I found to be unusual for other Middle East resorts. We were recommended to make dinner reservations on some evenings. One staffer told us that there were over 1,000 guests on the property on one evening.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
the guest clientele at the Burj Al Arab hotel appears to be a strange mix of older, strangely tropically attired "Tommy Bahama" affluent travelers with the occasional younger celubante thrown in there for good measure.
Not really - the Problem is, that Dining-guests not really see the "real guests" you meet at the SPA etc.

P.S. The Shangri-La beach looks really nice, I like rocks.....
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not really - the Problem is, that Dining-guests not really see the "real guests" you meet at the SPA etc.

P.S. The Shangri-La beach looks really nice, I like rocks.....
Thanks offerendum.

The "Tommy Bahama" guests were the ones seen getting off the private guest elevators for the hotel portion at lunchtime. Although, with a sample size of 4, I can't hardly say it's a totally accurate sample size.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Mutrah Souq.
Sultanate of Oman

The Shangri La resort offered a complimentary shuttle to the Mutrah Souq near old Muscat. The timings were at 15:30 and 16:30 hours for 2 hours on a daily basis. The bad news is that the shuttle is actually a full size tour bus coach. The good news is that the Shangri La is the only resort hotel in the area and that the coach was the only one at the souq. This meant for less people limited to those on our bus.

Our travels there took us along the coast towards the Corniche. Once we were dropped off, we were treated to pleasant views of the Corniche with an entirely local population. Today was the only cloudy and cooler day of our visit.

We wandered into the souq. Although there were the usual souvenir shops, there was were almost no tourists shopping in this area. The Mutrah Souq was unique because the ceilings at the intersections were inlaid with stained glass amid a wooden circular pattern.

Frankencise was on sale almost everywhere. Most shops were selling it by the large bagful. I picked up a small container a little larger than a spice jar as a souvenir for 1.25 OMR ($4 USD).

Outside the market, some locals were also selling dates and playing dominoes of all things.

The Sultan’s boat happened to be moored in the harbour. The largest “yacht” that I have seen, I believe it had room for a helicopter on the back of the deck.

Overall a nice authentic experience to be treated to a local market. Our visit had no crowds and we were left pretty much unbothered as we wandering through the Mutrah Souq, thanks in part to the wonderful hospitality of the Omani’s
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Turtle Bay Snorkel
Bandar Jissah / Yitti Region.
Sultanate of Oman.

Every trip, we usually take the trouble of packing our snorkel gear with us in our suitcases. This is usually followed by a discussion on arrival between MrsWT73 and I about whether to take a snorkeling excursion or not. Trade offs involve missing a day on the beach, and having a whole day tied up on a boat, and sometimes a car, while we travel to the boat and the snorkel site. Our only miss (as in experience let down) has been snorkeling in Bali, and we’ve otherwise had great to excellent snorkeling in the Hadahaa Reef – Maldives, Makena Beach- Maui, USA, Le Morne, Maurituis and Dahab, Egypt.

Today’s adventure was organized by the hotel provider Extra Divers Qantab. Our half day tour was to take us to Turtle Bay for 16 OMR with own equipment ($41 USD) or 20 OMR ($51 USD) without equipment. The tour offered 1 hour of snorkeling in one spot, as reflected by the accurate and not so accurate map.

The trip out was from the nearby marina just outside of the hotel gantry gates. The marina was 10 minute walk, and also accessible “on request” by the hotel property shuttle.

Our ride out was with a group of about 15 other persons which is a nice manageable group. The scenary through the khors was excellent as can be expected from this area.

You can see the sides of the canyon in this shot from the boat.

I’m happy to report that the snorkeling experience was excellent. This area appears to be unique as the fish were exceptionally large. The corals were also nicely developed and not stepped on like some other higher traffic areas. I’d estimate that there were probably only about 30 people visiting a day in this region, including the 15 on our boat.

The visibility was not as clear as it could be but outweighed by the size fish. We were informed by the dive master that there were few predators in this part of the world and as a such, the fish were really big. Many of them were just enormous. We rated it right behind the south Maldives as best snorkeling we’d ever experienced. You can judge the reef for yourself by these photographs.

This part of the world is known for its turtles. After about 30 minutes in the water, we set out to try and find some. Little did we know one was right beneath us. As you can see they really camoflage well with the surroundings, you really have to pay attention. We’ve only been lucky enough to see turtles here at Turtle Bay in Oman, and at Kanapalli Beach in Maui, USA. We were able to follow this particular one around for about 10 minutes without him getting too spooked at our presence. You'll also note the absence of any other persons getting close to him / her as well.

Overall a fantastic snorkeling experience and like Mutrah Souq, as yet to be discovered by the rest of the world. The peace and beauty of the surrounding was further highlighted by our trip back to the resort. This included a spin through the natural arch.

We retired that evening on our last night with a glass of cold white wine to a lovely view from our deck. A perfect day drawn to a close.

After a great stay, the time came to check out. The night before the front desk proactively called our room to determine if there were any problems with our stay and to arrange or confirm taxi transfers. This was a nice touch.

At check out, the hotel pro-actively enrolled me in their reward program Shangri – La Golden Circle. I assumed that booking through Rocket Miles rate would not earn points but turns out we earned points on the food and beverage portion of the stay. We booked a public taxi to the airport through the front desk at the cost of 15 OMR ($38 USD).

Around about this time, nature’s broom hit me like no tomorrow. I regretfully have to report that it was likely from the food or beverage from the Shangri-La hotel. I am confident is saying this as I did not any food off property for the entire 4 day stay. I suspected the foul medames that I indulged in at breakfast the morning that I left. There is something extra undignified about being sick while traveling.

I wrote the Food and Beverage Manager surrounding this circumstance. He took note of the information but assured me by email that no other cases had been reported and that the food and beverage outlets in the hotel were HACCP certified. I was satisfied with this response and would chalk up the circumstance to bad luck. I wouldn't let my experience deter you from staying here. I'd easily return.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Etihad Airlines
Business Class
MCT-AUH (Muscat International Airport, Oman – Abu Dhabi Terminal 3 )
EY382 – Pearl Business Class (I)
April 25, 2014
11:10 AM – 12:15 PM
Booked: Airbus 320
Flown: Airbus 320

On arrival at the Muscat airport, we underwent a baggage screening on entry and checked in with Etihad at a general first and business class desk. Boarding passes were issued and a lounge invitation to the contract Plaza Premium Lounge was provided. Overall the airport general hall was pretty chaotic. There were also photographs of the Sultan of Oman figured prominently throughout the building.

We collected duty free at a very large hall and returned to the Plaza Premium Lounge. Plaza Premium has a rather odd collection of locations, Singapore, Vancouver, Muscat and Hyderabad. This is the “number two” lounge here at Muscat with the flagship lounge being occupied by Oman Air. There was a long line up today of seventeen people to get into the lounge in a somewhat cumbersome entry process. It was a bit of a dark space but thankfully it had attached washrooms given my delicate condition.

There was a full food area but I was still feeling a little under the weather by this point. I was super suspicious of any food at this point so I didn’t partake in any food or drink.

After a short while, we proceeded to the gate. A flight delay of 1 hour was announced. We ended up returning to the lounge to wait out the delay.

Returning to the gate, we eventually boarded a bus to get out to the plane. Pearl Business Class fliers boarded last. We were also held in the bus until all the passengers had boarded to prevent standing in the scorching heat on the outdoor stairs.

On board again, we settled into the cool green Recaro designed, Etihad Pearl Business class seats. The cabin today was 5 out of 16 occupied. A lemon and mint pre departure beverage cooled the stomach today, along with a towel service on a tray.

A short prayer before takeoff as we left Muscat departing from Runway 26 R

Some interesting aircraft at the airport, which appeared to be shared with the military.

Along with more great views on the climb out…

Today’s flight featured an in flight wifi hot spot. Prices were reasonable for a longer flight. The connectivity was advertised both via SMS text message and upon signing into the wifi network.

Today’s catering were various Arabic snacks. Given the continued delicate condition, I regretfully wasn’t in a position to enjoy much of them.

Fast Track cards were distributed. I really appreciate this feature. Fortunately, we’ve never experienced long immigration lines at Abu Dhabi as we’ve always arrived on short haul jets.

On approach to the landing, we had to do a “go around” on the landing. This added about 15 minutes. Upon parking at the gate, the jet bridge was broken and had to be reset. Etihad dealt with the issues professionally and empathetically. It’s amazing how a simple apology or empathy can color your impression of an airline. As always, interesting terrain in this part of the world, including full subdivisions seen on the approach into Abu Dhabi that have not been constructed yet.

On landing, another crazy construction project with the new infield terminal of the Abu Dhabi airport being built. Despite being a small terminal, Abu Dhabi Terminal 3 still has a great décor and appearance upon arrival with arriving passengers and departing passengers mixed together on the same floor.

After clearing immigration, we collected our bags and headed to the Etihad Chauffeur desk. With the counter, there were no issues waiting to get picked up or what have you. Our reservation was located without incident.

We were led out to a row of cars and I was asked if I wanted a white Toyota Previa Van or a black Audi A6 today. By passing the family van, we opted for the A6. Our bags were loaded up, including one on the front passenger seat and we were in Dubai before we knew it (1hr of travel time).

Overall, Etihad is a pleasant way to get around the Middle East. Their BA Avios style distance reward chart also makes it quite lucrative for your short flights between the GCC countries. We would fly them again without question.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Sheraton Four Points Sheikh Zayed Road.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Two Bedroom Apartment

After the Etihad Chauffer dropped us off, we checked in at the Four Points Shiekh Zayed Road, Dubai.

We stayed here because we only had a short one night stay in Dubai on this leg. We were also using a Canadian American Express SPG Free Weekend Night award (after a qualifying spend amount). This property appeared to be the among the nicest Category Four hotel in Dubai on offer. It’s since been upgraded in 2014 to a Category Five property.

The Four Points did not have the impressive lobby of the Grosvenor House, instead having a tiny and busy area. Despite a short queue, check in was handled relatively quickly.

Despite my illness, the upgrade gods were shining on us. The front desk attendant indicated that they usually upgrade SPG Golds’ up one category of room based on availability. They were fully booked in the next room category so they offered us a double upgrade to a two bedroom apartment. “It’s so large, you can run around in it” she claimed.

Apartment #2801 was on the shady south side of the building on the Shiekh Zayed Road. The apartment was nicely furnished with modern style furnishings. Indeed, it was big enough to run around in. It also had the luxury of 3 bathrooms, which was a god send in my condition.

Great view of the Burj Khalifa on Sheikh Zaeyed Road. Okay, a peek – a – boo view but it’s still better than nothing.

These photographs were about the extent of my enjoyment of the room. After failing to keep down half a Subway Sandwich, I went to bed at 7 PM and didn’t get up until the next morning. The stomach illness cut me down to the point that I was lying in bed in the fetal position in heat sweats softly asking for “help” from anyone that would listen. This turned out to be nobody.

After collecting some medication for me at the nearby Dubai Mall (one stop away on the Dubai Metro) MrsWT73 took in the couch and watched “Date Night” with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell while we waited for the next leg of our adventure.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa Senator Lounge
Dubai International Airport Terminal 2

A gross 3:30 AM wake up for our next leg the very next morning. I actually felt somewhat rested having had a clear 8 hours of deep sleep. MrsWT73 pre-ordered a general taxi through the front desk, which was down in the lobby as promised at 4:30 AM. A quick ride and 33 AED later and we were at the airport.

I’m sad to report that the whole Turkish experience for us this leg was a disaster. It was by far the worst “long haul” business flight ever.

These were first world problems that I describe here. People can take the position that it’s a free ticket and that you should only complain if you’re on a paid fare ticket. I prefer to view it as it’s a ticket that’s been paid for with miles or cash. It’s no easy feat to get Aeroplan 165,000 miles or any other high amount of frequent miles for a redemption. Either way, I take the opinion that if you’re being advertised priority services, you should get priority services.

We located the Turkish check in desk, which was a melt dow in the making. For whatever reason, there were only 4 Dubai ground agents checking in a whole Airbus 330 designed to carry 288 passengers. All were refusing to start work by sitting stationary at their podiums until exactly two hours before flight departure time. This led to a huge snaking line of more than 100 economy passengers already waiting. We found the business line but waited about 10-12 minutes to get checked in as only one agent was handling business passengers and the other business agent was serving the economy line despite being posted otherwise on the monitors.

Our experience with Turkish had another development when a flight delay was explained matter of fact when we made it to the podium. This would add another hour and twenty minutes to our wait time in Dubai.

Of course, flying with Turkish meant the usual seat assignment issues. As some may know, the seat map for Turkish doesn’t open until 100 days before the flight. Even if you have a ticket, you are not normally able to get your favoured seat. I was unable to assign seats online thanks to Turkish Airlines glitchy website. I called the Turkish Reservations office to get seats assigned together. I then dealt with a gruff agent who indicated that it was all sorted. Of course, on check in the seats were not together. I asked to have them re-assigned together. Thankfully, this was completed at the counter without issues.

We were provided an invitation to the Dubai Business Lounge located next to Gate C8. Since we had extra time, we initially opted for the Lufthansa Senator Lounge. Access was granted at the Senator Lounge courtesy of MrsWT73’s Star Gold Card. The Lufthansa Senator Lounge was completely empty except for us for a whole hour. Again, thankfully there were attached bathrooms. You can probably tell by now how sick I was by the number of times I've mentioned this.

The Lufhansa Lounge was of course pleasant. It was the smallest Lufthansa Senator Lonuge that I’ve ever been in. I can see why when it’s over capacity hre that they restrict access as they did on our last trip through DXB.

A small selection of food was also available. Nothing fancy, but standard Lufthansa fare.

Dubai International Business Class Lounge
Dubai International Airport - Terminal 2

Since our gate was at the other end of the airport, we eventually headed up to the contract “Dubai International Business Class Lounge”. Described as “the general lounge for airlines that do not have their own dedicated lounges, as well as approved card holders,” we used a lounge invitation issued at check in to check out the place. It’s located next to Gate C8. It actually wasn’t that bad and was quite spacious.

It had a better food and beverage offering than the Lufthansa lounge. I again didn’t partake but it looked all right.

At about T-35 (the new adjusted time) we left the lounge and wandered over to Gate C1 where more apathetic treatment continued...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Turkish Airlines
Business Class
DXB-IST (Dubai International Airport – Ataturk International Airport, Istanbul)
TK763 – Business Class (I)
6:55 AM – 10:45 AM
April 26, 2014
Booked: Airbus 330-300
Flown: Airbus 330-300

Unfortunately, the crappy ground treatment at DXB continued. The flight was scheduled to originally depart at 6:55 AM, re-scheduled to 8:20 AM on check in. We held in the gate holding lounge at 8:15 AM with no action.

An announcement was made for business class boarding and the gate was swarmed. It was probably the worst boarding experience I’ve ever had. Gate lice? It didn’t even compare. No effort or attempt to enforce any boarding. There were two other gate staff at the rear of the holding area not attempting to help. This left one poor lady attempting to check BP’s of all 250+ passengers. To make matters more rosy, there was other ground staff pushing a wheel chair out of the gate area in the opposite direction of the crowd asking people to let them thru. I asked her to wait since we couldn’t move and she brushed me off “…but I have another flight to get to”.

Another manager type person turns up on the jet bridge side wearing traditional Emirati garb, yelling out loud “What is this? Move back people!” but made no efforts to make any announcements or correct the situation. I didn’t really appreciate being yelled at this hour. I seriously doubted Emirates business passengers have to deal with this mess. It was by far the worst outstation and boarding experience that I’ve ever had in 30 years of flying. I know… “first world problems” but if you are going to advertise premium services for premium passengers, then premium passengers actually expect to receive what was paid for. Photograph of boarding below…

Once through the mess, we entered onto the plane via double bridge boarding into a pleasantly recently reconfigured cabin. At bit surprising with the double bridge… Frankly, if you don’t care about the boarding experience, why bother with the effort of double bridge boarding? Pleasant colors on the angle flat seats. Staff appeared pretty apathetic, but I guess they had gotten up at 3:30 AM like the rest of us and probably hadn’t been paid in 2 hours sitting on the ground waiting for an inbound aircraft.

Setting the tone of the attitude of the whole experience so far, I was witness to some really disrespectful and rude behaviors by other fellow business class passengers. I witnessed a man talking down to flight attendants to stow their bags for them in the overheads because they arrived last and the bin space immediately above their seats were taken. I am guessing the FA’s on Turkish, based on the regions that they serve, are somewhat exposed to this on a regular basis.

Despite the nice redesigned cabin, Turkish continues make an impression. Yep, that’s someone else’s wad of gum on the foot rest. Obviously overlooked by the cleaning staff, it was immediately present when I sat down. MrsWT73 also had her own piece for her seat (not pictured).

A pre departure beverage of lemon and mint again today. MrsWT73 had orange juice.

Onboard and cabin announcements in Turkish, English and Arabic. No apologies or mention of the two hour delay from either cabin staff or the pilots. Or, if there were, they weren’t announced in English.

A quick taxi outbound with great plane spotting. I think I saw 12 Emirates Airbus 380’s on the taxi and take off.

Amenity kits were handed out off the cart along with newspapers. It was a middle of the road amenity kit with some useful items in it.

Menus handed out. Drink but no meal orders taken.

The flight system was modern and up to date inflight entertainment system.

Managed to eat a bit of food but not too much. MrsWT73 approved of the catering which was the standard DO & CO catering.

After breakfast, I attempted some more sleep. The blanket that was left on seat that had the thickness of a Kleenex. It was like trying to sleep with a napkin over you.

I did end up sleeping for a few hours. Overall, the seat was much more comfortable than the Thai business seat. This was in part due to the angle lying almost fully flat, the comfortable foot rest that contained the gum depository.

Our flight path took us well around Syria and eventually into a holding pattern outside of Istanbul Ataruk. We eventually taxied to a very remote stand by the Turkish Technick hangars.

On disembarkation, the business class passengers got a short VIP bus. Economy was held back to allow biz to disembark. We landed 1 hour 52 minutes late off schedule.

I want to like Turkish Airlines but I just can’t. They play well in Star Alliance, offer a great reward availability calendar, have great catering and service so many destinations. Turkish Airlines are making attempts to be better with an updated cabin, better lounge environment and great catering, but what is the point if you can’t use the lounge because your ground staff aches, the attitude of the staff is apathetic and disinterested, and your connection experience is terrible that you never want to come back? Overall, the flight itself was quite a gruff experience with staff that served competently, but without any real compassion or warmth to their jobs. I didn’t know it at the time, but it was here that Turkish Airlines (or ground staff at Istanbul Ataturk Airport) lost my luggage.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Turkish Airlines
Business Lounge
Istanbul Ataturk Airport

We had initially planned for a 3 hour connection in Ataturk. The planned time was to be able to enjoy the second expansion phase of the already good Istanbul Lounge. Unfortunately, the Turkish flight delay only gave us about 45 minutes in the lounge.

Every time I have connected or passed through IST (5th visit today), it’s been an overcrowded gong show. I wouldn’t describe it as a pleasant experience.

We re-cleared security with long lines, then walked upstairs to the departure level concourse. We raced through the IST airport, which was a mess of travelers. We were passed by several of our fellow business class passengers on the concourse in an outright run to find and make their connecting gates for their flights to the United States. Of course, there was no ground staff available to assist anyone attempting to make connecting flights.

Turkish has advertised it’s lounge as a fabulous place. From their internal Miles and Smiles newsletter, they offer the following description of the Istanbul Lounge:

• Amongst its new services is a lovely little tea garden reminiscent of those found in Istanbul that provides an experience similar to places in the city where both residents and visitors can enjoy freshly brewed Turkish tea and simit, a traditional Turkish sesame seed bagel.
  • Or for those looking for a bit more excitement before their flight, there is a miniature model of Istanbul in which guests may experience a virtual car rally as well as play other game consoles and electronic diversions.
  • Turkish Airlines is a well-known enthusiastic supporter of golf worldwide, including its support for the “Turkish Airlines Open”, and as such the lounge also includes a realistic golf simulator for passengers interested in proving their skills while waiting for a flight.
  • Unique tastes of Turkish and global dishes
  • For those interested in Turkish cuisine, the lounge provides some of the unique tastes of Turkish and global dishes you’ll be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. Amongst other treats, you’ll find freshly prepared pastries from Vienna’s famous pastry shop Demel.
  • Also, make sure not to miss the local corner where chefs prepare regional Turkish delicacies that appeal to both the eye, nose and the taste buds under a classically designed copper range hood--including “mantı” (Traditional Turkish beef ravioli) and “gözleme” (A traditional Turkish pastry dish of hand-rolled dough brushed with butter and eggs and stuffed with light savory goods). In another corner guests can sample famous specialties such as “pide” (Some say the original pizza) and “börek” (a pastry of phyllo dough stuffed with savories), both cooked in its special oven. Plus, throughout the lounge there are offerings of fresh fruit, salads, appetizers and nuts all offered as part of Turkish hospitality.
  • The lounge is operated by Turkish Airlines’ catering partner, TURKISH DO&CO, a group that has repeatedly won awards for providing Turkish Airlines’ passengers with the best meals in the sky.

Getting back to our experience, the departure level concourse is super wide but they have food and beverage outlets in the middle of the walkways. Indeed the capacity for the lounge is 1,039 people. On our visit, it seemed to be full of people going everywhere and in every direction. A chaotic experience made worse by rushing. One can even see long lines evident outside at security waiting to get into the departure concourse as well for immigration.

On locating the lounge entrance, we used the E-gates to access the lounge. They are supposed to accept your boarding pass and automatically allow access. Of the three gates, one was broken. There was a scrum at the lounge dragon desk. We tried to scan our way in and it turned out we were scanning the exit gates. We ended up just walking in the lounge unchallenged by staff since the gates since they were stuck in the open position.

By all accounts, this lounge is indeed among the best business lounges in the world. It was probably about 40% occupied while we were here, with a downstairs that was hardly used.

The lounge featured almost every possible amenity. Golf simulators, pool table, go kart racing and television rooms. They have placed most of these amenities downstairs.

The Turkish street cart was closed on our visit.

The lounge featured an unadvertised “Massage Therapist”.

Food – marinated chicken kebabs being cooked fresh, popcorn machine, Turkish Street food area. High ceilings made for a pleasant ambience as well.

MrsWT73 of course had her opinions: “This place is drop dead gorgeous. Amazing! It’s better than Lufthansa First Class Terminal” Really? I wasn’t that impressed. The place was packed and felt like a souq at off hours- people coming and going all directions and staggering around looking for food. Most of the food is centralized, where there are some smaller drink stations at various places. I didn’t find the food offerings consistent, so people end up wandering around all over the place looking for different types of food. I concluded it was an excellent business lounge, but lacked the exclusivity, privacy and tranquility of a genuine First Class lounge.

On our way out, MrsWT73 stopped by the bathrooms. She noted that the bathrooms were gorgeous, but that a woman was cleaning her feet in the sink. I thought to myself, I’m sure that I wouldn’t see than in the LH FCT…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.