A Trip To Iran

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
very nice, thanks !!
Old May 2, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
Great report! Thanks for sharing it!
The food look pretty good and the expressions on peoples faces looked pretty happy!
Old May 2, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by tsastor
The embargoes seem to have little effect?
The Chinese are laughing all the way to the bank at the (largely ineffective) western embargo.

Amazed at some of the comments in this forum, I guess mass media propaganda is working wonders to spread misconceptions of life in Iran.

What were some of you expecting? Miserable, hostile people and dark gloomy cultureless scenes?
I guess the OP is lucky to get away with his life from such an evil, dark place ....
Old May 2, 2014, 5:46 pm

Very nice report from what looks like a great trip.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:07 pm

Thanks for posting this TR. I'm currently in the very early stages of considering a trip to Iran as well.

Looks like you opted for a private tour, rather than the group tours that are advertised on key2persia's website? Did you consider any other tour companies before deciding on key2persia?
Old May 2, 2014, 9:23 pm

I LOVE your photos! Stunning!
Old May 2, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xolerf
Fantastic TR! I really like how your TRs are really about the destination and you do such a great job capturing the local culture on film.

What setup were you shooting with? Your EXIF data is rather silent.
Thank you, xolerf. I try and photograph almost everything that catches my eye, so alot of photo's to sort through at the end.

I took my trusty Canon 5D3, and used the 16-35L II, 24L II & 50L lenses.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I love this report, the pictures are superb and the descriptions great! The idea of the links to Wikipedia is genial in my opinion. I'm doing a study on Iran and the revolution at the moment and I'm going to go there after I finishes and things get quieter for me.
Thanks, themapelligroup. My guide was quite knowledgeable about the Persian history but I only remember half of what he told me, so it was good to read up on everything on wikipedia on my return.

Originally Posted by tsastor
Thanks for the report! Looks like life is good in Iran, I haven't seen a negative report so far. The embargoes seem to have little effect?
Cheers, tsastor. The economy is not in tip-top shape, with inflation at ~33%. My guide was saying that the govt started giving out loans for people to build houses, but alot of people ran out of money half way through construction due to high inflation, and hence you see a lot unfinished houses about.

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
very nice, thanks !!
Thank you, MrHalliday.

Originally Posted by nolan222
Great report! Thanks for sharing it!
The food look pretty good and the expressions on peoples faces looked pretty happy!
Yes the food was pretty tasty. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming too.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The Chinese are laughing all the way to the bank at the (largely ineffective) western embargo.

Amazed at some of the comments in this forum, I guess mass media propaganda is working wonders to spread misconceptions of life in Iran.

What were some of you expecting? Miserable, hostile people and dark gloomy cultureless scenes?
I guess the OP is lucky to get away with his life from such an evil, dark place ....
Yes, I think the Chinese get quite a good discount too with their oil imports from Iran.

I was genuinely surprised with Iran, I was expecting something closer to Saudi Arabia but was definitely closer to Turkey.

Originally Posted by prolixindec
Very nice report from what looks like a great trip.
Thanks, prolixindec. Yes, will definitely remember this for trip for a long time.

Originally Posted by netllama
Thanks for posting this TR. I'm currently in the very early stages of considering a trip to Iran as well.

Looks like you opted for a private tour, rather than the group tours that are advertised on key2persia's website? Did you consider any other tour companies before deciding on key2persia?
Cheers, netllama. Yes, it was just a private tour. As it was only a short trip and I wanted flexibility with dates it was the best option for me.

After reading hauteboy's good experience with key2persia I contacted them and they were prompt and friendly with emails, and quoted a reasonable price so just stuck with them.

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I LOVE your photos! Stunning!
Thank you, drzoidberg.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Thanks to the OP for sharing. ^

Important to break the western propaganda set.

Iran is one of my favourite travel countries.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Ever since a good friend of mine, who is born and raised in Karadsch / Karaj showed me pictures of his home town, Iran is on my toDo-List. And with all those reports from people, who have been there, the urge to get there still grows.

Stunning pictures and very good report.
And I am glad, that I am not the only one, who forgets half of the stuff told by his guide ...
Old May 3, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Great TR and photos as usual, always nice to see somewhere different.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Love your photos and TR - another stunning piece of work! The expression of the people truly brings this to life.

Did you have any issues or trouble when photographing people, especially non-posing street photography? Wasn't sure if they (particularly the women that are fully covered) are sensitive about that.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Great photos. Thanks for the report. No trouble getting the visa?
Old May 3, 2014, 7:18 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I'm always intrigued about countries that aren't normally visited...thank you for this and as a pseudo photographer myself these pictures are stunning.
Old May 3, 2014, 7:49 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wonderful TR thanks
Old May 3, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Fascinating TR, were there a lot of western tourists around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.