Reload this Page >

Live Trip Report: MAN-LHR-HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: billinghamn
My trip from MAN-LHR-HEL and back that I took with billinghamv in Apr 2014. Quick links to individual flights are listed below to help navigation:

Intro
18 Apr MAN-LHR
18 Apr LHR-HEL
19 Apr HEL Sightseeing
20 Apr HEL-LHR
20 Apr LHR-MAN
Print Wikipost

Live Trip Report: MAN-LHR-HEL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
I dont think anyone gets down the fast track line unless you have AY on your boarding card. No chance with a BA flight number.
These days also SK, AF (and some others) also pay for it, though not BA. Now it seems more consistent about applying the rules - at one time I could even use it while on a BA flight flashing LH SEN card.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
These days also SK, AF (and some others) also pay for it, though not BA. Now it seems more consistent about applying the rules - at one time I could even use it while on a BA flight flashing LH SEN card.
This discussion reminded me that this is a differentiator when deciding between the 0755 and 0800 LHR flights. I usually have a choice and pick BA. Recently I have wondered if that is a good choice or not as the AY flight managed to beat the heathrow traffic better than BA (e.g. fog bound LHR on April 1st).

Maybe being able to use the security fast track is the deal breaker? The flights are usually some AA/BA/AY codeshare, but so long as you get the AY number on the boarding pass you can use it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
My understanding is, the AY number is not the make or breaker but rather that the flight is operated by AY (whether a BA issued or AY issued ticket).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
This discussion reminded me that this is a differentiator when deciding between the 0755 and 0800 LHR flights. I usually have a choice and pick BA. Recently I have wondered if that is a good choice or not as the AY flight managed to beat the heathrow traffic better than BA (e.g. fog bound LHR on April 1st).

Maybe being able to use the security fast track is the deal breaker? The flights are usually some AA/BA/AY codeshare, but so long as you get the AY number on the boarding pass you can use it.
No idea what AY are like on board but if I needed to go to HEL I'd consider them over BA because you'd get a proper gate at LHR rather than the guaranteed bus gates (BA is the only one at T3 that uses the bus gates). Therefore removing one of the bad points of the BA T3 experience. You still get the good points of the BA experience including access to the BA lounges and fast track.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
First of all, 23 euros for a cheeseburger? Ouch!

Second of all, didn't know you were a fellow red billinghamn, it's been a good year for us hasn't it!

I used to live in Finland (not Helsinki though), and seeing the trip reports and the beautiful photos you guys have managed to take makes it look a whole lot prettier than I remember it! Summers surely were glorious, but this time of year it is a bit grim still. Also it's a good reminder for me that much to my embarassment I still haven't visited Suomenlinna. I will hopefully have time this summer to change that, it looks like a very nice place indeed.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
First of all, 23 euros for a cheeseburger? Ouch!

Second of all, didn't know you were a fellow red billinghamn, it's been a good year for us hasn't it!

I used to live in Finland (not Helsinki though), and seeing the trip reports and the beautiful photos you guys have managed to take makes it look a whole lot prettier than I remember it! Summers surely were glorious, but this time of year it is a bit grim still. Also it's a good reminder for me that much to my embarassment I still haven't visited Suomenlinna. I will hopefully have time this summer to change that, it looks like a very nice place indeed.
Yes a tad expensive! However it was tasty.

I don't want to tempt fate talking about what might be for the Reds - all I will say is I am keeping my fingers crossed. The lads have done well up until now, and I'm proud of them.

Suomenlinna is a very attractive island - quite big and so many different aspects - I strongly recommend a visit - it's well worth it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Yes a tad expensive! However it was tasty.

I don't want to tempt fate talking about what might be for the Reds - all I will say is I am keeping my fingers crossed. The lads have done well up until now, and I'm proud of them.

Suomenlinna is a very attractive island - quite big and so many different aspects - I strongly recommend a visit - it's well worth it.
No I don't want to jinx it, all I can say is roll on Sunday!

I do like the nature in Finland, it's all very clean and beautiful. I also like blueberry pie
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Fast track at HEL is definitely not for OWE, BA CE, etc. I've been through this place many times...
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Fast track at HEL is definitely not for OWE, BA CE, etc. I've been through this place many times...
Fair enough on the BA CE, but on the OW website HEL is listed as being one of the airports that allow OWEs to use fast track security. Not disputing what you have said, but clearly OW are showing something as a benefit which HEL are contradicting and not providing.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Fair enough on the BA CE, but on the OW website HEL is listed as being one of the airports that allow OWEs to use fast track security.
I think ow.com is quite clear

"Fast Track through security at select airports

Helsinki, Vantaa

Terminals: 2
Service: Priority Security
Carriers: Emerald members traveling on flights operated and marketed by the following carriers
Finnair"
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nordic
I think ow.com is quite clear

"Fast Track through security at select airports

Helsinki, Vantaa

Terminals: 2
Service: Priority Security
Carriers: Emerald members traveling on flights operated and marketed by the following carriers
Finnair"
Oh, missed that bit about the carrier restriction. Just as well it is dinner time, off to eat my humble pie
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Glad you liked Stefan's Steakhouse. The reindeer steak is pretty good, isn't it? The Italian place across the street has been a real find. I think it's the most original in Helsinki.

You should have taken my advice and stayed at the Kämp! The Hilton Strand is a real dump I thought. Awful, ancient rooms, terrible bathrooms, clueless staff, and shoddy public areas.

A great place to have a drink is somewhere called 42 (I think). Really inventive bartenders!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Glad you liked Stefan's Steakhouse. The reindeer steak is pretty good, isn't it? The Italian place across the street has been a real find. I think it's the most original in Helsinki.

You should have taken my advice and stayed at the Kämp! The Hilton Strand is a real dump I thought. Awful, ancient rooms, terrible bathrooms, clueless staff, and shoddy public areas.

A great place to have a drink is somewhere called 42 (I think). Really inventive bartenders!
Yes very much enjoyed the reindeer steak - I like trying different stuff from time to time. Great place to eat as well. If I head back to Helsinki I'll check out the Italian opposite.

Yes the Strand was a bit of a dump, but not quite as bad as I thought it might be. It's times like these that brand loyalty need to be challenged, and sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and accept that the brand is going to lose out.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

...but the one at the airport is pretty good, I like the in-room sauna!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

...but the one at the airport is pretty good, I like the in-room sauna!
I wouldn't know - I didn't get a room with a sauna - I'm obviously not special enough (in Hilton's eyes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.