Reload this Page >

Live Trip Report: MAN-LHR-HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: billinghamn
My trip from MAN-LHR-HEL and back that I took with billinghamv in Apr 2014. Quick links to individual flights are listed below to help navigation:

Intro
18 Apr MAN-LHR
18 Apr LHR-HEL
19 Apr HEL Sightseeing
20 Apr HEL-LHR
20 Apr LHR-MAN
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Great suggestions OldHigsonian - many thanks. Just walked up to the Sibelius monument and grabbed a coffee at Cafe Regatta where you can cook your own sausages. Got the tram to the main railway station, popped into Starbucks and will be heading for the ferry shortly.

You are right about the weather. It's fabulous and we have been really lucky.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi
Billinghamn....I agree we found Helsinki a bit drab though we only went for a day trip. What you need to do is hop on the lindaline and head over to Tallinn....its the nicest European city ive ever been to!
That sounds a great idea but we are only here for the best part of a day anyway. Will need to do that on a separate trip.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Summary of our day in Helsinki:

Woke up at 6am Helsinki time - reminder that we are 2 hours ahead of the UK!

Breakfast at the Strand was served at the Bridge restaurant downstairs instead of in the Exec Lounge - it wasn't that good to be honest but it was free. Walked to the Sibelius monument which was interesting and good for stretching our legs. It was a lovely walk, around a couple of nice lakes. There was a lovely Yorkshire terrier puppy on a lead, reminded me so much of a family dog - same face and same inquisitiveness and desire to say hello.

We then carried on and grabbed a coffee at Cafe Regatta, a really cute wooden hut by the shore with great pastries (we resisted!) and an obviously high degree of of ecological awareness, with a fabulous outdoor open pit firewhere you can cook your own sausages. Whilst there we saw a woman walk down to the sea just wearing a bikini and had a brief swim before getting out. It was quite a sight to be honest: a) because she was brave to have got in there to start with, and b) because she was only in there was about a minute.

Then got the tram to the main railway station, popped into Starbucks (long queue and expensive) and headed up to the ferry.

Luckily got on the first one which had just arrived and the trip took about 20 mins.

After getting off the ferry, we stopped at Cafe Vanille for a soup and a blueberry tart, and then headed off further onto Suomenlinna. Very interesting place to look around - very green - lots of undulations.

Ended up at a very colourful sub!

After a good hour we both started feeling tired, so decided to head back to the ferry.

Headed back through the city to the hotel and grabbed the 615 back to the airport and checked in to the Hilton Vaanta which was very new, very clean and much more to our taste. The exec room was very nice.

Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Looks like you're having very good weather (not complaining, it's quite nice in Northumberland too). Quite a busy schedule, so I hope you get a lie in tomorrow! Thanks for the photos, it brought back good memories of Helsinki.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi
Billinghamn....I agree we found Helsinki a bit drab though we only went for a day trip. What you need to do is hop on the lindaline and head over to Tallinn....its the nicest European city ive ever been to!
Take a short walk out of Tallinns medieval part and it's ten times worse than Helsinki. I do agree the old parts of Helsinki are nice but the modern parts aren't so great.
Although to be fair once you get out of most city centres in the world you'll see some grotty parts.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Yes fab weather here, which is much appreciated. I had previously commented on me not really needing my thick coat. However taking the ferry to Suomenlinna yesterday really highlighted the benefits! It might be relatively warm, but as soon as you get on the water with any sort of chill in the air, and you soon start to feel it.

So much for a lie-in this morning! The airport Hilton hotel is lovely - much nicer than the Strand, but we have both woken up hot in the night, and the air con is highly unintuitive and resists any suggestion about reducing the temp of the air it is ejecting!

So back to reviewing posts on FT!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi billinghamn. I am one if those who has yet to make it beyond HEL airport so interesting to see what Helsinki is like. Did you get a room with an in-room sauna at the airport Hilton?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Hi billinghamn. I am one if those who has yet to make it beyond HEL airport so interesting to see what Helsinki is like. Did you get a room with an in-room sauna at the airport Hilton?
Unfortunately not - I got a standard exec room, having only paid the minimum through the Hilton.com website. I reckon I could have haggled for a sauna, but staying only one night and we were both pretty tired, we weren't too bothered to be honest. Perhaps next time though.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Unfortunately not - I got a standard exec room, having only paid the minimum through the Hilton.com website. I reckon I could have haggled for a sauna, but staying only one night and we were both pretty tired, we weren't too bothered to be honest. Perhaps next time though.
Ah ok. I thought there might be some "hot" sauna pics to be posted soon. I was there a few months ago just for a tier point run so arrived late Saturday and left early on Sunday. I paid for a standard room but was given a sauna one, tried it if only to sweat out the champagne from the flight. It was pretty cool.

Just sat in the lounge at HNL to start the journey home. Run to San Juan earlier in the week all went well. I leant a lot from your live tr and the "lessons to learn" bit. May even do it again sometime.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
We then carried on and grabbed a coffee at Cafe Regatta, a really cute wooden hut by the shore with great pastries (we resisted!) and an obviously high degree of of ecological awareness, with a fabulous outdoor open pit firewhere you can cook your own sausages. Whilst there we saw a woman walk down to the sea just wearing a bikini and had a brief swim before getting out. It was quite a sight to be honest: a) because she was brave to have got in there to start with, and b) because she was only in there was about a minute.
Its a bit less dramatic at this time of year, but chances are she was a winter swimmer. They do that year round. There are clubs dotted around helsinki with changing facilities and they run "bubblers" to keep the water open from freezing when it is really cold.

it is supposed to have health benefits, but like a lot of these things it main benefit is the great feeling you get once the painful thing stops.

Looks like you had a nice day. As you can see from the photos Helsinki is in its brown phase.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Ah ok. I thought there might be some "hot" sauna pics to be posted soon. I was there a few months ago just for a tier point run so arrived late Saturday and left early on Sunday. I paid for a standard room but was given a sauna one, tried it if only to sweat out the champagne from the flight. It was pretty cool.

Just sat in the lounge at HNL to start the journey home. Run to San Juan earlier in the week all went well. I leant a lot from your live tr and the "lessons to learn" bit. May even do it again sometime.
Nice one re hot sauna photos. Perhaps next time eh? Glad to hear about your successful trip to SJU. I have been monitoring closely. Enjoy your trip home.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Just arrived in the CCR for the first time. It did indeed feel special from the warm welcome at the door to the almost immediate service on the terrace.

To be honest the service was so good I thought I might need to take out an injunction against the waiters etc so we could enjoy our second breakfast...

Seriously though, very impressed so far.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
[B]
The flight left from gate 24b which is a bus gate, with a similar reputation to A10 in T5 - no one really wants to see that gate against their flight no. It didn't take long to get to the plane though and we were welcomed aboard.
From T3 you're almost guaranteed a gate 24 departure as all BA flights depart from a remote stand. One time I received another gate it still turned out to be a bus departure.

The planes tend to park in an area which is close to the T1 green mile which is only a short drive. My problem with the whole bus gates is although there's a fast track for the boarding pass scan (usually) they don't check who's boarding the bus so when you're in the waiting area after the BP check they'll call all Club Europe and status travellers all those who were milling around near the door plus half those sitting down decide to get on the bus. So as someone who's entitled to board first you only have a few options:

1) Try barging to the front of the queue as you meet the criteria to board first, but then look like an inconsiderate tosser and of course you could be pushing past those equally entitled to be there.

2) Stand around near the door edging yourself closer to the door as time goes on ready for the bus to arrive.

3) sit in the waiting area and board near the very end on the last bus. More chance of getting a seat and less waiting in line.

Presumably BA will move to proper gates in T3 when airlines move to T2. Any idea when BA will do this?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layz
From T3 you're almost guaranteed a gate 24 departure as all BA flights depart from a remote stand. One time I received another gate it still turned out to be a bus departure.

The planes tend to park in an area which is close to the T1 green mile which is only a short drive. My problem with the whole bus gates is although there's a fast track for the boarding pass scan (usually) they don't check who's boarding the bus so when you're in the waiting area after the BP check they'll call all Club Europe and status travellers all those who were milling around near the door plus half those sitting down decide to get on the bus. So as someone who's entitled to board first you only have a few options:

1) Try barging to the front of the queue as you meet the criteria to board first, but then look like an inconsiderate tosser and of course you could be pushing past those equally entitled to be there.

2) Stand around near the door edging yourself closer to the door as time goes on ready for the bus to arrive.

3) sit in the waiting area and board near the very end on the last bus. More chance of getting a seat and less waiting in line.

Presumably BA will move to proper gates in T3 when airlines move to T2. Any idea when BA will do this?
I've never flown from T3 before so thanks for explaining about the standard arrangements for BA departures. We took a variation of your second option in your list. We simply sat in the window right next to the door, and then we allowed the "inconsiderate tossers" (IT) to get in the way of the families with kids when BA asked them to board the bus first. The ITs were then told off by the BA crew which was good to see, as well as slightly amusing.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I've never flown from T3 before so thanks for explaining about the standard arrangements for BA departures. We took a variation of your second option in your list. We simply sat in the window right next to the door, and then we allowed the "inconsiderate tossers" (IT) to get in the way of the families with kids when BA asked them to board the bus first. The ITs were then told off by the BA crew which was good to see, as well as slightly amusing.
I'm pleased that the BA staff were not rewarding people for pushing in.

I'm looking forward to Star Alliance moving out so we get some proper gates. I don't know why people feel the need to push on, the plane isn't going anywhere without them.

Although as luck would have it my need to fly to Prague on a regular basis will disappear by the end of May so I won't be using T3 as much. I'll miss the nice quieter lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.