To Johannesburg...for 36 hours!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion

A couple months ago, people were posting about a fare from DC to Johannesburg, mentioning that while it was a great fare in business class, it wasn’t really cheap enough to be considered a “milage run.” Well, I like to be comfortable, and with business fares earning 1.5 times the elite miles it was a no brainer for me. I tend to think if I can buy a business fare for less than 10 cents per elite mile I’m doing well, and with the limited time off I have it made this a no-brainer. The kicker was that my friend Dewon was already headed back to South Africa to renew a visa, and I could fly the outbound with him. A few days after booking, my friend Phil wanted to join me for the crazy milage run from DC, and we had the makings of an adventure!

Of course, since this was largely for the miles I devised the most insane routing I could to maximize the miles, and it went off without a hitch! All told, it would be around 33,000 elite miles earned, at the cost of only one day of leave…can’t complain too much! Soon, the day of the trip was here and it was time to go. I’m going to break this into three parts…. (1) the trip to South Africa aka this post, (2) our 1.5 days in South Africa, and (3) the trip back from South Africa.

If you'd like to see my other trip reports:

I. London to Iran and Afghanistan in a mix of C, F, and LCCs
II. Above the Arctic Circle with UA/CO/LH and SK in whY, C, and F
III. Around the World in 40 Days for 40 Years
IV. 8 Places People Who Are Right in the Head Do Not Spend New Years
V. 12 Countries, 10 Airlines, 4 Islands, 27,080 miles, 11 Days
VI. 6 Countries in 6 Days - Caribbean Island Hopping and first AA Experience
VII. Guyana, Suriname, and French Guyana with an unexpected sidetrip to Caracas!
VIII. To Haďti - for vacation and a milage run!
IX. Around Senegal and West Africa
X. 4th Annual New Years in Dangerous Places - Libya Edition
XI. Kosovo and FYR Macedonia - Milage Run in United Business + TK/LH

Warning, this part of the post will be extremely picture heavy!

Got to National Airport, check-in was fairly efficient, TSA was a non-event due to TSA Pre-Check, and soon we were in the United Club. .I love the historic club at National Airport, not to mention the awesome bartender who makes the most amazing spicy bloody mary...perfect start to a big adventure!

United (operated by Shuttle America) flight 3523
Washington DC, National (DCA) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Depart 10:35, Arrive 11:44, Flight Time 2:09
Embraer E-170, Registration N638RW, Manufactured 2004, Seat 2F

Not too much to say about this flight...it was a pretty generic express flight. .One more drink, some "gourmet snack mix," some crossword puzzles, and soon we were in Chicago.

Whenever I have time, it's become an O'Hare ritual for me to swing by Chilis for some Tex Mex Eggrolls and a Platinum Presidente Margarita...couldn't resist this time either. .We had plenty of time, and the other option was to sit in a crowded United Club, so the choice was obvious!

Read the rest of the post with lots of pics on my blog at this link!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great title and tease, but come on man. This is the Trip Report forum, not the "please visit my blog" forum. If you don't want to spend the time to post a proper report here and insist on linking to a blog, at least give people a reason visit with a more detailed narrative and a lot more pics.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
.. This is the Trip Report forum, not the "please visit my blog" forum. If you don't want to spend the time to post a proper report here and insist on linking to a blog...
Yes indeed
A thread for the new http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post20607052
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Thanks folks - apologies I seem to have annoyed everyone by doing the courtesy of sharing my blog content here. I don't have the time to flyertalk-tag-edit every post, so I'll stop posting here.

Was fun while it lasted. Meanwhile, if you're interested, you know where you can find my posts.

Mods, please close this thread.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
I don't see anything wrong with this type of trip report he gave us a taste of whats coming then he guided us to his blog. It only takes a slight push to get there. Are we becoming too lazy to do that?
Very nice report btw.
What does motion passed thread have to do with trip reports?

Last edited by SMART51; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:38 pm Reason: add on
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Exec club, VS Flying Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards
Wow, give the guy a break. At least he has taken the time to post. I'm looking forward to reading the blog - what else can you really say about an Express flight to ORD? I also respect the fact you are getting on the margaritas at Midday!!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SMART51
I don't see anything wrong with this type of trip report he gave us a taste of whats coming then he guided us to his blog. It only takes a slight push to get there. Are we becoming too lazy to do that?
Very nice report btw.
What does motion passed thread have to do with trip reports?
Great trip report! I would also note that unless I'm missing something, ironmanjt's blog is ad-free and credit-card referral link free - not sure why he would care how much traffic his blog gets.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can we please stop the debate about to blog or not to blog in this thread. Kindly restrict comment to the report in question.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:54 am

I like the trip report. No problem with posting some here and on his blog.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Please do keep posting your blog links here. I find your trips interesting and want to know whenever you post new contents to your blog.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Very Harsh SFO777

As a regular reader of ironmanjt's posts, I think his mixture of a pictures and content plus a link to his blog is a fair compromise.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:43 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
What a loss for this community. I enjoy your refreshing perspective and "off the beaten path" destinations which make your reports so compelling to read. Count me in as a follower.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

33 Hours in Johannesburg

So, what's that they say about controversy being good for ratings? Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl? The infamous wardrobe malfunction?

Well, I'm not one to care about ratings...I think I've checked how many hits my blog got maybe three times ever. But, today I checked...out of curiosity. Highest hits ever....by 3x! So, thanks for the, um, "helpful suggestions." I'm gonna keep posting

We landed at 10am, and immigration was quick without bags, and we were spared the odd questions about why we'd come to Johannesburg for just 33 hours. Fortunate.

I've been to South Africa dozens of times, but haven't actually visited Johannesburg in over 15 years. I flew into JNB two years ago during my round the world 40th birthday trip, but immediately got in a rental car and headed to Lesotho, so I hadn't properly visited the city in a long time. I was excited to get a small preview of how things had changed.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I did do a similar milage run about 5 years ago, when Lufthansa published a DC to Helsinki fare that allowed Johannesburg in the routing rules. So, yes, I did go DC - Frankfurt - Johannesburg - Frankfurt - Helsinki. It was legal, and only like an extra $10 in taxes, but as it was a connection I only had about 8 hours in Johannesburg. I did manage to get down to Sandton for lunch, but had to take a giant share taxi which was a bit of a pain in the butt.

Why am I going on about this? Because everyone I knew from there had told me how nice the Gautrain was. JNB to Sandton and Rosebank in about 15 minutes. Clean, fast, efficient, and relatively affordable. I was sold! We only had to wait about 10 minutes for a train, and it was actually rather nice!

Short train ride later, we were at the Sandton station, which was located conveniently across the street from our hotel, the Radisson Blu Sandton Gautrain. .Check-in was quick and pleasant, and we were "upgraded" to a business floor room. .Nothing special about the room, except that Radisson Blu's business class rooms seem to all have Nespresso machines in them. .I was a happy caffeine addict. .Perhaps the strangest part was the picture on the wall outside our room:

Yes, that's the Farragut West metro station in Washington, DC, the same station I get out at most every day to go to the office. .Halfway around the world. .Go figure. .It was if the hotel was taunting us! .We took advantage of the Nespresso machine in the room to refuel, and since it was almost noon at this point we headed across the street to Nelson Mandela Square to get some lunch.

We settled on Baglios, mainly because they had a table on the lanai where I could sit and enjoy the 23C sun since it was still cold back in DC. .But first, to start lunch off on the right note, I introduced Phil to Savanna Dry cider!

You'll note the tent set up in the background. .It was Easter, and there was a concert getting ready to begin. .But we were hungry, and it was time for lunch...and perhaps the most interesting "club sandwich" I've ever had. .Yes, those are chicken breasts and full-size hard boiled eggs. .Go figure. .But yes, at least it was super tasty!

After lunch we were starting to fade once again, so we headed inside to Vida e Caffe to get a few espressos to fuel us. .I seriously have never seen Easter taken so seriously. .First Lufthansa gave us chocolate bunnies, and now the coffeeshop was giving them out. .Perhaps the US has taken political correctness a bit too far and has stopped putting bunnies at every corner.

The rest is on my blog at this link...cut mostly because there's mild controversy in the next few pics
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Exec club, VS Flying Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards
Great stuff,really enjoying your report and glad you continued to post. It is making me want to go back to SA. Certainly looks like you made the most of your 36 hours!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Love the Butchers Shop. Their Prime Rib is quite awesome. And their wine list is massive and very well priced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.