Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Holidays in Europe - DL Y MSP, AMS, VIE, HAM, CPH (Lots of pictures)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Europe Holiday 2013 Trip Report

Introduction

This trip marked my return to intercontinental travel after an 8-year absence. Over the two-week span I was in Europe I realized the drought lasted 8 years too long. My fiancée and I flew Delta for the long legs with KLM codeshare for the intra-Europe connections. The TATL segment was also the one to put me at Platinum Medallion, which made the flight extra enjoyable. The trip was two weeks long and spanned 4 countries, 3 airlines, 2 hotel chains, and a few trains.

December 22, 2013
Delta 264
MSP – AMS
A330-200 (Old Config)
Economy 29B

The last Delta overseas flight I was on wasn’t even a Delta flight. It was back in June 2001 on Northwest. Even though I don’t remember much of them, Northwest flight 11 and 1 will always hold a special place in my heart. They are gone though, so on to the present.

We started in the F concourse SkyClub. To the surprise of no one, it wasn’t anything special. The items on offer were the standard “snacks” and drinks. All the same, a whiskey and ginger ale got the vacation off to a decent start. I’m not terribly hard to please, but I still miss the Canadian Club.

Around T-55 we headed to G4. I find with the new restaurants in the G concourse the gate crowding can get pretty bad. Tonight that was not the case and there were only a handful crowding around the entrance to the SKY lane. When we arrived Business Elite was already boarding and they soon called SKY zone.

Untitled by jacobac00, on Flickr

I was able to select these seats at booking. Since I was only Gold Medallion at the time I didn’t want to spend extra for Economy Comfort. These are arguably the best coach seats on the A332. You don’t get drink or meal service right away but the legroom makes up for it.

I know Delta recently announced that it was “enhancing” it’s economy class service. As anyone who flies Delta will tell you “enhancement” is frequently a four-letter word. In this case it seems to fit the dictionary definition. There was some chop on climb out so main cabin service didn’t start until about 45 minutes into the flight.

To my surprise it started with a hot “towel”. Sure, more of a fancy wet nap, but pretty nice for a coach seat all the same.

This was followed immediately by the first drink service. The first real enhancement is free spirits in all of coach, not just Economy Comfort. I asked for my standard Woodford and was given two!

Had a really strong tail wind so the flight time was only around 7 hours.

Meal service was nothing special. A frozen, or at least mostly, packet of salad dressing and a somewhat bland chicken and rice dish. Wasn’t bad, just wasn’t very exciting either.

But hey, two more Woodfords!

They even snuck some cheese out of the SkyClub.

Breakfast was served around an hour from AMS. No choices, just a breakfast sandwich, banana, and orange juice. The banana was almost hard like it was close to frozen. The sandwich was okay, again, nothing special.

December 23, 2013
KLM Crown Room 52 Amsterdam Schippol Airport

After a very quick and enjoyable flight we headed to the lounge. After checking in and getting the boarding pass for our connecting flight we went to the serice counter. The wait for a shower was only two people long, maybe only one. So we were able to grab one with only a five minute wait.

It was hard to get decent pictures of the shower room since it was so cozy. My only complaint is that it was very warm. I wasn’t quite with it and didn’t think to turn down the temperature of the water. I’m sure that would have helped. In the end I had to get out in the lounge in order to cool off from the shower. It’s still a really nice benefit. It may not be a blue rubber duck, but I still have the KLM shaving set as a little souvenir.

I didn’t really take any pictures in the Crown Room since it was so crowded. I included some shots I got from the return leg. Enjoyed some good coffee and decent snacks with some nice views of the tarmac.

Mashed potatoes and really good beef stew.

After our showers we went into Amsterdam for a look around. We had a 10-hour layover so we wanted to make use of it. The train is really convenient and not very expensive. I think it was around $10 USD for the both of us one-way. The train takes around 20 minutes to reach Amsterdam Centraal Station.

My first real döner kabap was in Amsterdam. I have had my fair share of Gyros over the years but this was the first chance I’ve had for this delicious delight. The meat is just about the same as a gyro as far as I am concerned. Everything else is different and oh so much better. However I learned later on in this trip that they get even better!

December 23, 2013
Hilton Vienna Danube
River View Room

We got in late, around midnight, and sadly there were not any executive upgrades available. We did get a better room with a view of the Danube on a higher floor. The room was surprisingly spacious. Most USA hotel rooms are smaller than this, by a big margin. It was nice to have the room to space out after a full day of travel. The giant window that opened all the way was nice too, even if we didn’t use it that much.

Breakfast was included as a Hilton Gold member. Without Gold status it would have cost 35 euros. I realized after the trip I didn’t capture any pictures of the buffet itself. It had some western options and a large variety of breads, cold cuts, and cheeses. Fresh squeezed orange juice was also offered. I think this was the best breakfast during the trip.

Various pictures around Vienna.

I had what I think was the best döner of the trip in the U Bahn station on Christmas. After a day of exploring the Belevedere museum it tasted especially good.

On our last night in Vienna we met up with one of fiancées’ good friends. She took us to a small café that was thankfully off the tourist path. We had an amazing dinner and a few, or more, bottles of wine. Just like New York or Chicago, but easier, when you can let public transit do the driving it eases the decision of another round.

After a great diner and possibly too much wine, or just the right amount, döner sounded like a good choice again for a late night snack. I know, when doesn’t döner sound like a good option. This one had too much sauce but was otherwise delicious.

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

December 27, 2013
German Wings
VIE-HAM
A319
Economy

We took the U Bahn and S Bahn to the airport. That part worked fine. What didn’t was not leaving enough time. I guess I had gotten a little to used to elite status and check-in being a breeze. At VIE we had to wait at least 20 minutes to get checked in which really put the crunch on us. My fault for not allowing more time, but we ended up making it, thanks to no line at security. Although I ended up with more of a groping than TSA has ever provided.

I managed to snap a couple gate pictures after catching my breath.

We flew GermanWings on a one-trip from VIE to HAM. We opted for the middle price ticket of 99 euros per person. In addition to a checked bag, and assigned seat with extra legroom, we also received a snack box on board.

The snack box was simple, but pretty tasty. There was a choice between meat and cheese. The cheese option I selected made for a decent breakfast.

December 27, 2013
Marriott Hamburg

This hotel is in a great location. Central location to the Alster and the U Bahn is right around the corner. My only complaint is that the executive lounge is on the small side and was always very busy. I forgot to get pictures of the lounge. The food and beverage options were very good and we didn’t go hungry for breakfast or evening snacks.

Various pictures from Hamburg.

Currywurst!

Fish fricadelle, selected the cold option, very tasty.

The square by the Marriott

December 29, 2013
Bremen, DE

On the 30th we took a day trip to Bremen. It was only an hour by commuter train. The town is simply adorable. It is the perfect place to wander around and enjoy the small town sights.

Hamburg HBH

On the train to Bremen

Legroom on the train

Various pictures from Bremen

The friend we had showing us around picked our lunch spot. He admitted it was a little touristy, but he promised a good experience. I wasn’t disappointed. I wasn’t full expecting the aspic when I ordered, but it was pretty good!

One last döner back in Hamburg.

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

December 31, 2013
Hamburg to Copenhagen
DB Train

We booked the ICE from Hamburg HBH and connected in a small town in Denmark that didn’t seem to have anything else around. Pleasant ride that took around six hours.

The (what felt like) middle of nowhere Denmark

December 31,2013
Hilton Copenhagen Airport
Executive Level

We arrived around 19:00. Check-in was a breeze and made even better when told we were upgraded to an executive level room. It was easily the best room of the trip. Sadly, this was the highlight of Copenhagen. The fault lies with me due to not enough research beforehand. I found a great deal on the hotel and planned this portion of the trip around that. I was able to get the room for 100,000 Hhonors points and $60 USD total. Pretty proud of that considering the regular rate is around $280 USD per night or 200,000 Hhonors points for the total stay.

Copenhagen seems like a nice place except it is way too expensive for what you get. The metro leaves a lot to be desired. A one-way ticket for three zones costs around $6.50 per person. Three zones will only get you from the airport to the city center. I counted at least five different websites that seem to handle public transit and of course none of them play nicely together.

The fireworks we were able to see from our room were pretty amazing. Sadly, the pictures don’t do it justice. We were tired so we stayed in not wanting to deal with the crowds.

The number of fireworks we saw in the street the next day confirmed it probably would have been a bit crazy for our taste.

For the rest of the trip we spent time exploring and wandering around. One of the days we got the Open Card. My fiancée wanted to check out the Louisiana museum. So on this day it made sense to get this $50 a day card, per person. Since art isn’t my thing I wandered around the city center seeing what trouble I could get into. Trying to hit as many pay museums as possible I accidentally found some art.

Someone forgot to buy a software license

Last döner of the trip ☹

Since we were on one of the executive floors we had access to the lounge. We had breakfast there as well as the evening snacks and drinks.

Just one picture of the evening spread.

January 5, 2014
CPH – AMS
KLM

First we visited the contract lounge in CPH. Thanks to another Delta “enhancement” this lounge won’t be available in the future. Nice and spacious with decent offerings for breakfast and drinks.

CPH Airport

Contract lounge

Nothing too special to report here, a standard intra-Europe coach flight.

January 5, 2014
Delta 265
AMS-MSP
A330-200

We lucked out and seats 10 [middle] we open at T-24. So we got some great legroom and extra room on either side.

Before dinner drink service. Unlike the flight to AMS this one ran out of Woodford, the horror. Still, they were able to get me three bottles over the course of the flight before they ran out. Love this improvement on service.

The meal was possible the best coach meal I’ve ever had. It probably wasn’t anything that special either. It was just a green chicken curry, but wow, it sure it the spot. I learned to put the butter and salad dressing on top of the meal this time. The flight to AMS both were just shy of being frozen.

The snack offered was less than amazing. Tasted like, well, nothing really. The ice cream was pretty good though.

After an amazing trip like this I had to come back to the Artic Vortex and the -30 temps in the Twin Cities. Good thing I had Istanbul coming up in less than two weeks. The trip report of my first real MR coming up soon.

Thanks for reading. Remember, it’s my first time so please be kind.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Great start of a trip report. Love the photos of Vienna...brings back memories of a similar holiday trip, only mine was over New Years. And yes, donner is a great after-drinking snack.

And now that I have seen the other posts...a great finish as well.

The picture of the currywurst made me hungry and miss Germany at the same time.

Thanks for the TR

Last edited by goodeats21; Jan 23, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA
I wasn’t quite with it and didn’t think to turn down the temperature of the water.
Did that have anything to do with the four bottles of woodford that DL plied you with on the way there?

Is giving out two minibottles per service their standard thing now? That surprises me a little, and makes me a little jealous, as a UA flyer...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:07 pm

Nice trip report, thanks for posting! I actually dislike the fact that on every streetcorner in (Northern)Europe you can buy kebab though.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Woodford? And FREE in coach, no less??? Kudos to DL (and many thanks, jacobac00, for the terrific report)! I guess it partially makes up for the near impossibility of upgrades, from what I hear.

*edit: Oh, and I did a MR to IST last year (in the good ol' days of no minimum spend on UA and bargain-basement fares to that particular destination before they yanked it from the network). Great place for MR'ing! Looking forward to that report, as well!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Great start of a trip report. Love the photos of Vienna...brings back memories of a similar holiday trip, only mine was over New Years. And yes, donner is a great after-drinking snack.

And now that I have seen the other posts...a great finish as well.

The picture of the currywurst made me hungry and miss Germany at the same time.

Thanks for the TR
Thanks! I'm already in döner withdrawal since there is none in the Twin Cities.

Originally Posted by DCA1983
Did that have anything to do with the four bottles of woodford that DL plied you with on the way there?

Is giving out two minibottles per service their standard thing now? That surprises me a little, and makes me a little jealous, as a UA flyer...
Haha, that might have played a role. It was actually a little tough to sleep in that seat since the crew rest door is right next to it. So there is a bit of door opening and shutting for a while. Still the best for legroom.

Not sure if two is the new standard. For MSP-AMS they gave me two without asking. On the return AMS-MSP they asked if I would like two. So on my sample size of two flights it was always two.

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
Nice trip report, thanks for posting! I actually dislike the fact that on every streetcorner in (Northern)Europe you can buy kebab though.
Thanks! I agree, they should alternate between kebap and curry wurst.

Originally Posted by zcat18
Woodford? And FREE in coach, no less??? Kudos to DL (and many thanks, jacobac00, for the terrific report)! I guess it partially makes up for the near impossibility of upgrades, from what I hear.

*edit: Oh, and I did a MR to IST last year (in the good ol' days of no minimum spend on UA and bargain-basement fares to that particular destination before they yanked it from the network). Great place for MR'ing! Looking forward to that report, as well!
Thanks! The MR I just took to Istanbul was on UA. I found the service to be pretty close, but the lack of free alcohol, of any kind, really sticks out. Still, being able to use your miles, and Senator lounges sure does make a good case for switching.

Last edited by jacobac00; Jan 24, 2014 at 6:57 am Reason: added detail
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
You need to go to Nuremberg and buy a shashlick - sort of a combo of doner and currywurst.

Great TR though, I have to say Delta looks a lot nicer than I thought it was - what was the IFE like?

Incidentally Hauptbahnhof is normally abbreviated to hbf
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:19 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

jacobac00, since you're into food as well, have you been to Turkey? I'd say a breakfast buffet at a random (non-chain) hotel is much more agreeable than any of those you tried. Not that those offerings look bad, but Turkey has down pat the way to do breakfast.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exilencfc
You need to go to Nuremberg and buy a shashlick - sort of a combo of doner and currywurst.

Great TR though, I have to say Delta looks a lot nicer than I thought it was - what was the IFE like?

Incidentally Hauptbahnhof is normally abbreviated to hbf
Thanks! I guess I should know better than to spell things phonetically. I also need to check out this shashlick that you speak of, sounds right up my alley.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
jacobac00, since you're into food as well, have you been to Turkey? I'd say a breakfast buffet at a random (non-chain) hotel is much more agreeable than any of those you tried. Not that those offerings look bad, but Turkey has down pat the way to do breakfast.
I did a quick MR to Istanbul a couple weekends ago. Only had a couple nights so we just had a quick breakfast at the Marriott to make the most of our time. What kind of items should I expect for my next visit. The Marriott was nice, but nothing that different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.