Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Australia & Fiji *PHOTOS* 29k Miles / 5 Carriers - WN Y, VA J, QF Y & J, FJ J, & KE J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia & Fiji *PHOTOS* 29k Miles / 5 Carriers - WN Y, VA J, QF Y & J, FJ J, & KE J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
QantasLink 717-200 Economy Class from AYQ to CNS

QantasLink 717-200 Economy Class from AYQ to CNS

Map Below: QantasLink Economy AYQ-CNS

FLIGHT: AYQ-CNS
DATE: Wednesday, September 4, 2013
CARRIER: QantasLink (QF)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 1854
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 717-200
CABIN: Economy (single cabin aircraft)
SEATS: 13A, 13C
DEPARTURE GATE: 1
DEPARTURE- SCHEDULED: 3:30pm // ACTUAL: 3:20pm
ARRIVAL- SCHEDULED: 6:30pm // ACTUAL: 6:07pm
DURATION: 2 hours 17 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 1,129 miles

I once missed a US Airways flight because it left more than 15 minutes early (and I timed it to arrive at the gate 15 minutes early) to avoid incoming weather. Luckily, I made this flight that concluded boarding before boarding was even scheduled to begin! Boarding was merely a single call - no zones, status, rows, etc…just, boarding.

Photo Below: The Gate for QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

Photo Below: Our Plane Pulling-In: QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

Photo Below: Walking Out to Our Plane: QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

This was the only flight (other than the open-seating Southwest flights) for which I didn’t (I don’t think one can) select specific seats in advance - I submitted a request for a window & aisle seat for us; but, that was it. Once at the airport, I forgot to ask which seats we were given and/or request seats…so, we were given the no-recline seats immediately in front of the exit row in lucky row 13. When I realized my error, I didn’t really care as it was a mid-afternoon flight and we were just happy to be sitting after hiking about 15 miles over the past 24-hours.

Photo Below: Our Seats On-Board: QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

Photo Below: Legroom On-Board: QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

Photo Below: Cabin On-Board: QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

The flight quickly took off once boarding had completed. We had our tablet loaded with movies in hand; so, we planned to watch (most of) a movie during this short flight. We were pleasantly surprised to receive a meal (though, I didn’t really like it and there was no pescatarian option for Mrs. FindAWay) on the short flight.

Photo Below: View of the Connellan Airport Runway from QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

Photo Below: Meal on QantasLink Flt. 1854 - 717-200

We landed in Cairns 20+ minutes early and just a bit before sunset.

Photo Below: Sunset over Cairns onboard Flt. 1854 - 717-200

It was raining in Cairns! It didn’t bode well for our plans to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef the following day.

Photo Below: Rain in Cairns after Landing Flt. 1854 - 717-200

The airport was fairly empty and we went down and retrieved our bags after only short wait at the carousel before taking a taxi to our hotel.

Photo Below: Empty Baggage Area in Cairns
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Hilton Cairns Hotel and Executive Lounge

Hilton Cairns Hotel and Executive Lounge

HOTEL: Hilton Cairns Hotel
NIGHTS/DATES: 2 Nights - Wednesday, September 4, 2013 to Friday, September 6, 2013
LOYALTY PROGRAM STATUS: HHonors Gold
ROOM: 902
ROOM TYPE: Executive Floor Room
COMPLIMENTARY ROOM UPGRADE FROM RESERVED TYPE?: Yes

We arrived at the hotel in the light rain before 7:00pm ready to clean-up after our morning hike. The front desk staff greeted us and welcomed us to the hotel. They recognized my Gold status (thank you Citi Reserve card) and upgraded us from our standard room booked to the executive floor with executive lounge access.

Photo Below: Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Lobby of Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Room at Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Room Bathroom at Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Room Bathroom at Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Room at Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Room Balcony and View - Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Evening View from Room - Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Evening View from Room - Hilton Cairns Hotel

After cleaning-up we decided to visit the Executive Lounge for a drink (since it was still open!) before heading out to check out the Esplanade. We were very pleasantly surprised by the selection of hot and cold food options along with the variety of beers and wine available.

Photo Below: Wine in Executive Lounge - Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Food Selections at Night in Executive Lounge - Hilton Cairns Hotel

After staying until the lounge closed, we noticed the lounge opened early enough for us to stop by in the morning before heading out to our Great Barrier Reef snorkeling tour the next day. So, we were some of the last customers in the evening and some of the first customers the next morning!

Photo Below: Morning View from Room - Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Morning in Executive Lounge - Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Morning Food Selections in Executive Lounge - Hilton Cairns Hotel

Photo Below: Morning Drink Selections in Executive Lounge - Hilton Cairns Hotel

After breakfast in the executive lounge, we walked from the hotel to our boat in the marina - about 10 minutes from the Hotel.

Photo Below: Marlin Marina - Cairns

We stopped back in the lounge for aperitifs before going out to dinner on our second night as well. Unfortunately, we left too early the following day to visit the lounge a fourth time. But, overall, the hotel and its staff were fantastic. The only issue was that an elevator was out of commission our second day and using it involved a very long wait time.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

35 Hours in Cairns and on the Great Barrier Reef

35 Hours in Cairns and on the Great Barrier Reef

We planned our itinerary without much time to spare. Thus, we had one day and only one day in Cairns and we wanted to snorkel. Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate (30-knot winds). We did snorkel; but, one-half of the passengers on the boat vomited on the way out to the reef and our tour wasn’t able to visit the scheduled second location because of the unstable weather conditions. Still, we made the best of it and enjoyed snorkeling around Michaelmas Cay.

Photo Below: Birds on and above Michaelmas Cay, Great Barrier Reef

Photo Below: Snorkeling around Michaelmas Cay, Great Barrier Reef

Photo Below: A Faint Rainbow Greeted Us upon Returning to Cairns
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Qantas Check-in and The Qantas Club at CNS

Qantas Check-in and The Qantas Club at CNS

Ugh! I am not a morning person. I’m barely a “noon” person. So, a 5:30am flight is pretty near the bottom of the list of things I do voluntarily. But, we had to get to Fiji!

Our morning started early. Earlier than some Friday/Saturday nights end for me. Our taxi ride to the airport was dark and silent. In my sleep-deprived stupor, I pulled so hard on my backpack trying to open it (to retrieve my wallet to pay for the taxi) that I broke (though, I successfully repaired it later) my zipper. Not a good start to the day (or, is that night - I was confused - it was still dark out)! Luckily, there was exactly no line at the Qantas Check-In and the same no line for security. So, we checked-in, made it through security and to the gate in about 10 minutes.

Photo Below: Entering Cairns Airport around 4:15am

Photo Below: Qantas Check-In at Cairns Airport

My research indicated that The Qantas Club did not open until 4:45; so, we had 15 minutes to spend before heading up to the lounge. But, my information was wrong - the lounge had opened at 4:30!

Photo Below: Escalators up to The Qantas Club at Cairns Airport

Photo Below: Entrance to The Qantas Club at Cairns Airport

Photo Below: Inside The Qantas Club at Cairns Airport

Photo Below: Family Zone at The Qantas Club at Cairns Airport

Photo Below: Breakfast Selections at The Qantas Club at Cairns Airport

Photo Below: Breakfast Selections at The Qantas Club at Cairns Airport

We didn’t have long in The Qantas Club; but, it seemed like a very nicely appointed lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Qantas 737-800 Business Class from CNS to BNE

Qantas 737-800 Business Class from CNS to BNE

Map Below: Qantas Business Class: CNS-BNE

FLIGHT: CNS-BNE
DATE: Friday, September 6, 2013
CARRIER: Qantas (QF)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 799
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 737-800
CABIN: Business
SEATS: 3D, 3F
DEPARTURE GATE: Terminal 1, Gate 22
DEPARTURE- SCHEDULED: 5:30am // ACTUAL: 5:25am
ARRIVAL- SCHEDULED: 7:35am // ACTUAL: 7:31am
DURATION: 2 hours 6 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 968 miles

We made our way down from the lounge to the boarding area. The boarding areas in Cairns are a bit lackluster. And, once your ticket is scanned, you must walk quite a while before reaching the jetway to the airplane.

Photo Below: Qantas Check-In at Cairns Airport

Photo Below: Gate 22 at Cairns Airport

This flight was full in Business Class. It seemed pretty full in back too. I wanted to sleep; but, I had been awake long enough that I had trouble; so, I just enjoyed the flight and meal service.

Photo Below: Our Business Class Seats - QF799 (737-800)

Photo Below: Legroom in Our Business Class Seats - QF799 (737-800)

Photo Below: Seat Controls for Our Business Class Seats - QF799 (737-800)

Photo Below: The Business Class Cabin - QF799 (737-800)

This was the shortest flight of our trip. But, we still managed to get breakfast!

Photo Below: My Breakfast - QF799 (737-800)

Last edited by FindAWay; Sep 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

The Qantas Club at BNE

The Qantas Club at BNE

Upon arriving in Brisbane we had to make our way from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. This involved a bus. Luckily, Qantas flights are picked-up before Virgin Australia flights; so, we were able to snag seats on the bus. But, it was so full by the time it reached the Virgin Australia arrivals area, that not everyone waiting there could get on.

Photo Below: Sign in Brisbane Directing Us to the International Terminal

Photo Below: Aboard the Transfer Bus to the International Terminal

Photo Below: Brisbane International Terminal

Once inside the Brisbane International Terminal, we had to go through security and exit immigration. In total, it took us about 20 minutes. With more than 3 hours until our flight to Fiji, we headed upstairs to The Qantas Club. It was crowded.

Photo Below: Entrance to The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal

Photo Below: Escalators up to The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal

Photo Below: Crowded at The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal

Photo Below: View of Gates below from The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal

Photo Below: Food Selections at The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal

Photo Below: Drink Selections at The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal

By the time we were ready to leave for our gate, the lounge had emptied out quite a bit.

Photo Below: Emptier at The Qantas Club in Brisbane International Terminal
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Fiji Airways 737-800 Business Class from BNE to NAN

Fiji Airways 737-800 Business Class from BNE to NAN

Map Below: Fiji Airways Business BNE-NAN

FLIGHT: BNE-NAN
DATE: Friday, September 6, 2013
CARRIER: Fiji Airways (aka Air Pacific) (FJ)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 920
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 737-800
SEATS: 1E, 2A (moved to 1F)
DEPARTURE GATE: International Terminal, Gate 77
DEPARTURE- SCHEDULED: 11:30am // ACTUAL: 11:53am
ARRIVAL- SCHEDULED: 5:00pm // ACTUAL: 4:58pm
DURATION: 3 hours 5 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 1,538 miles

The gate for our flight to Fiji was a fair walk from The Qantas Club lounge. However, the departure area was very nice and spacious.

Photo Below: Gate 77, Brisbane International Terminal - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Departure Area for Gate 77, Brisbane International Terminal - FJ920 (737-800)

During our walk from the lounge to the gate, a slight delay had posted for our flight. But, it turned out to be only about 20 minutes. We were anxious to get to Fiji for some relaxation with this being our fourth flight in as many days and lots of hiking and snorkeling mixed in. The Business Cabin was full for this flight and the only seats available when I booked were 1E and 2A, which were not next to each other. Row 2 had significantly more legroom than the bulkhead row 1; so, I had hoped that the gentleman in 2B would switch with Mrs. FindAWay for the row 1 aisle seat she had been assigned. However, he noted the difference in legroom and I chose sitting next to Mrs. FindAWay over the additional legroom and switched seats with the lady in 1F. The Business Class cabin was very similar our Qantas flight in the morning - though, I found it a bit nicer. The tapenade that came with the bread was absolutely delicious!!

Photo Below: Plane for FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Row 2 Business Class Seats - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Row 2 Business Class Legroom - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Well, What Drink Did You Expect on a Flight to Fiji? - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Row 1 Business Class Seats - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Row 1 Business Class Legroom - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Menu - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Wine Menu - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Food Menu - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: IFE Screen - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Beer and Chicken Flavoured Cassava Chips - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Fully Reclined - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Seat Controls - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Appetiser: Tropical salad with orange & coriander vinaigrette - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: My Main Selection: Chicken Breast with sautéed mushroom, Tempura prawn, chicken schallot, carrot, bean, potato and sundried tomato mash - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: Mrs. FindAWay’s Main Selection: Aloo Chana served with Curied cauliflower, braised bean in spicy tomato and eggplant chutney and steemed rice, paratha - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Photo Below: My Dessert: Cappuccino ice cream served with wafer biscuit and mixed berry couli - Business Class - FJ920 (737-800)

Last edited by FindAWay; Sep 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Budget Rental Car at NAN

Budget Rental Car at NAN

We did not plan to spend much time in Denarau during our trip; so, I rented a 4WD small SUV for us to explore Viti Levu on our own. Boy, was it ever small. Since one drives on the left in Fiji, I made sure to rent an automatic (having never driving a manual transmission on the left before). However, Budget Fiji didn’t really care - they had one vehicle on hand when I arrived in my vehicle class and it was a manual. In the end, I just took it and, after a bit of adjustment, it worked out adequately. The staff was friendly; but, everything took extra long since there was only one individual working when I picked-up and dropped-off the vehicle. In the end, we were happy to have the vehicle to take Fiji in at our own pace.

Photo Below: Nadi, Fiji Airport

Photo Below: Suzuki Jimny - Budget Rental Car (at Natadola Beach)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton (Denarau, Viti Levu, Fiji) - Room & Grounds

Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton (Denarau, Viti Levu, Fiji) - Room and Grounds

HOTEL: Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton (Denarau, Viti Levu, Fiji)
NIGHTS/DATES: 3 Nights - Friday, September 6, 2013 to Monday, September 9, 2013
LOYALTY PROGRAM STATUS: HHonors Gold
ROOM: 215
ROOM TYPE: Studio Beachfront
COMPLIMENTARY ROOM UPGRADE FROM RESERVED TYPE?: No

We drove directly from the airport to our hotel in our little rental SUV. We arrived just as the sun was setting. The front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. I had requested a 2nd floor room close to the lobby (since the property is quite spread-out) and my requests were honored. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised to be informed that, as a Gold status member, breakfast at either restaurant was complimentary. We checked-in and made our way to our room just in time to see the last flicker of sunset from our balcony.

Photo Below: Lobby at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: First Sunset from Our Balcony at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Studio Beachfront Room at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Studio Beachfront Room at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Bathroom in Studio Beachfront Room at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Balcony in Studio Beachfront Room at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

The next morning we explored the resort a bit more.

Photo Below: Daytime View from Balcony in Studio Beachfront Room at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Beach at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Beach at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Primary Pool at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Adults Only at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Additional View - Adults Only at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Balcony View at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: View of Pools from Room Balcony at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Sunset from Beach at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Sunset from Beach at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton (Denarau, Viti Levu, Fiji) - Dining

Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton (Denarau, Viti Levu, Fiji) - Dining

Our first morning, we went to Maravu for breakfast. A note to start - both Maravu and Nuku are beachfront. But, children are not allowed at Maravu. The breakfast food selections at Nuku were far superior.

Photo Below: Breakfast at Maravu at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Breakfast Seating at Maravu at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Our second night we decided to take in the “Taste of Fiji” at the resort. A note to those who visit and are interested in this…attend the earlier performance/seating. The food at the second seating appeared to simply be the food that remained after the earlier performance.

Photo Below: Taste of Fiji at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Drinks on the Beach at Taste of Fiji at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Meke Performer during Taste of Fiji at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Our second morning, we went to Nuku for breakfast. The food selections are Nuku were expansive.

Photo Below: Breakfast Selections at Nuku at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Additional Breakfast Selections at Nuku at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Even More Additional Breakfast Selections at Nuku at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton

Photo Below: Breakfast Seating at Nuku at Fiji Beach Resort Managed by Hilton
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

2 Days in Fiji

2 Days in Fiji

We had 3 nights and 2 full days in Fiji. We spent the first day walking around downtown Nadi and driving to Natadola Beach.

Photo Below: Central Nadi, Viti Levu, Fiji

Photo Below: Sri Siva Subrahmaniya Swami Temple, Nadi, Viti Levu, Fiji

Photo Below: Handicraft Market, Nadi, Viti Levu, Fiji

Photo Below: Municipal Market, Nadi, Viti Levu, Fiji

Photo Below: Road Down to Natadola Beach, Viti Levu, Fiji

Photo Below: Natadola Beach, Viti Levu, Fiji

We spent our second (and final) full day in Fiji on a full-day trip to Mana Island (in the Mamanuca group). We didn’t have time during our quick stop in Fiji to make it out to a remote Yasawa island; but, we wanted to get a flavor of non-Viti Levu Fiji. So, we chose Mana Island and were very happy with our choice!

Photo Below: One of the Mamanuca Islands, Fiji

Photo Below: Beach on One of the Mamanuca Islands, Fiji

Photo Below: The Boat We Rode to Mana Island, Fiji

Photo Below: Snorkeling on Mana Island, Fiji

Photo Below: North Beach on Mana Island, Fiji

Photo Below: North Beach on Mana Island, Fiji

Photo Below: South Beach on Mana Island, Fiji

Photo Below: Our Final Sunset in Fiji

Photo Below: View of Viti Levu, Fiji after Takeoff - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: View of Mamanuca Islands, Fiji after Takeoff - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Korean Air Check-In and Fiji Airways Tabua Club Lounge at NAN

Korean Air Check-In and Fiji Airways Tabua Club Lounge at NAN

After returning the rental SUV on our final day in Fiji, we walked from the domestic terminal to the international terminal (about 3 minutes) at Nadi International Airport. We were a bit later than planned as there was a decent amount of traffic on the way to the airport along the one main road.

Photo Below: Walking toward the International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji from Rental Car Return

Once inside the international terminal, we found a relatively long check-in line but no one in the priority line. So, we made our way to the front of the priority line and were quickly called over for a smooth, efficient, and friendly check-in. It would set the tone for our experiences on Korean Air: smooth, efficient, and friendly. During check-in I paid careful attention to the weight of my checked bag because I knew that our WN flight once we made it back to LAX in some 27 hours, I’d find a lower bag weight restriction -- I’m glad I did as my bag was about 5 pounds over WN’s 50-pound per bag limit.

Photo Below: Korean Air Check-In in International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

After making our way through security/immigration, we went directly to Fiji Airways’ Tabua Club lounge on the first floor past the escalators up to the departure area. The lounge was expansive. It didn’t appear that big at first, but, when I went looking for the restroom, I noticed there are actually several seating areas that were completely empty that morning. The food selection was adequate; but, the furniture was a little tired. And, being on first floor, the view wasn’t as good as the general departure area upstairs.

Photo Below: Entrance to Tabua Club Lounge in International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

Photo Below: Nearly Empty Tabua Club Lounge in International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

Photo Below: Breakfast Selections in Tabua Club Lounge in International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

Photo Below: View from International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

Photo Below: Gate in International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

Last edited by FindAWay; Sep 26, 2013 at 9:17 pm
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Korean Air A330-200 Business (Prestige) Class from NAN to ICN

Korean Air A330-200 Business (Prestige) Class from NAN to ICN

Map Below: Korean Airlines Business NAN-ICN

FLIGHT: NAN-ICN
DATE: Monday, September 9, 2013
CARRIER: Korean Airlines (KE)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 138
AIRCRAFT: Airbus A330-200
SEATS: 8A, 8B
DEPARTURE GATE: International Terminal, Gate 4
DEPARTURE- SCHEDULED: 9:55am // ACTUAL: 9:55am
ARRIVAL- SCHEDULED: 5:35pm // ACTUAL: 5:09pm
DURATION: 10 hours 14 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 5,589 miles

Most of the walk from and to airplanes in Nadi is outside (but, covered). We took in our last breaths of the Fijian air as we walked to the plane.

Photo Below: Our Plane at the Gate in International Departures Terminal in Nadi, Fiji

Once onboard, we quickly found our seats and settled in for the first of back-to-back 11-hour flights on KE. The seats were extremely comfortable.

Photo Below: Our Seats - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Large IFE Screens - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Legroom - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: USB Power and Headphone Jacks - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Power Outlet - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

We enjoyed our pre-departure champagne and then watched the islands of Fiji pass by out the window as we made our way northeast.

Photo Below: Champagne - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Davi Amenity Kit - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Fully Reclined - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Fully Reclined - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

I found the breakfast very delicious. Unfortunately, each of the next 3 meals I had on Korean got progressively worse (in my opinion). The dinner on this flight was okay. Although I didn’t get a picture of it, this plane had a window in the lavatory directly behind our seats - it was something different! The service onboard was impeccable - very attentive and timely. I found the movie selection wonderful and watched nearly 4 full movies on the flight! My plan had been to sleep to try and get ahead of jetlag (since this would be a 40+ hour day considering time zones); but, I just wasn’t able to fall asleep.

Photo Below: Wine List - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Menu - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: My Brunch: Leek and camembert frittata served with fried potato wedges, grilled tomato and sautéed spinach - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Mineral Water and Mineral Water Spray & Mid-Flight Cookie Snack - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: My Dinner Appetizer: Tomato carpaccio with mozzarella - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: My Dinner Main Course: Korean ‘Bibimbap’ offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and ‘Gochujan’ - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Mrs. FindAWay’s Dinner Main Course: Pan seared walu fish with tomato basil sauces served with herbed rice and sautéed vegetables - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: Mrs. FindAWay’s Cheese Tray - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)

Photo Below: My Dessert: Strawberry mousse cake - Business (Prestige) Class - KE138 (A330-200)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Korean Air Prestige Class Lounge at ICN

Korean Air Prestige Class Lounge at ICN

I spotted an A380 next to a B737 at gates in Seoul-Incheon while taxiing after landing. It really showed how big of a plane those are! After arriving, we cleared security and took the inter-terminal tram and walked around the terminal for a bit to stretch our legs before heading to the Prestige Class Lounge.

Photo Below: KE A380 next to KE B737 Spotted while Taxiing at ICN

Photo Below: Inter-Terminal Tram at Seoul - Incheon (ICN)

Photo Below: Mid-Terminal Live Entertainment at Seoul - Incheon (ICN)

The lounge was huge! And, I mean big! The widest angle picture below shows less than 1/2 of the whole lounge. It was also very busy. The food and drink selections were sub-par compared to the Virgin Australia and Qantas lounges we had recently visited; but, I was happy to try some Korean beer. The wifi wouldn’t work right with my computer - it could have been my fault; but, I didn’t really need it; so, I didn’t push to work on it. The restrooms were very nice - individual rooms with multi-function toilets.

Photo Below: Entrance to Korean Air Prestige Class Lounge at Seoul - Incheon (ICN) International Terminal

Photo Below: KE A380 Model - Korean Air Prestige Class Lounge at Seoul - Incheon (ICN) International Terminal

Photo Below: Korean Air Prestige Class Lounge at Seoul - Incheon (ICN) International Terminal

Photo Below: Food and Drink Selections - Korean Air Prestige Class Lounge at Seoul - Incheon (ICN) International Terminal
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Korean Air 777-300ER Business (Prestige) Class from ICN to LAX

Korean Air 777-300ER Business (Prestige) Class from ICN to LAX

Map Below: Korean Airlines Business ICN-LAX

FLIGHT: ICN-LAX
DATE: Monday, September 9, 2013
CARRIER: Korean Airlines (KE)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 61
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 777-300ER
SEATS: 12H, 12J
DEPARTURE GATE: 27
DEPARTURE- SCHEDULED: 9:20pm // ACTUAL: 9:25pm
ARRIVAL- SCHEDULED: 5:00pm // ACTUAL: 4:18pm
DURATION: 10 hours 53 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 7,109 miles

Our last long-haul flight of the trip…and the whole flight was subjected to bag searches between the gate and the plane - it took a while and the most interesting thing they found in my bag was my stowable backpack for day hikes. This was a different plane, but, the seats were (nearly? this is FT, I’m sure someone could tell me a difference) identical. The movie selections were the same; so, I was able to finish the last bit of a movie from the flight before!

Photo Below: Gate - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Plane at Gate - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Our Seats - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Our Seats - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Legroom - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: IFE Screens - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

The amenity kit was the same inside; just a different bag.

Photo Below: Davi Amenity Kit (blurry) - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Wine List - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Menu - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

I slept for most of this flight…by takeoff, it was nearly midnight in Fiji and I hadn’t been able to sleep on the flight before. I had my tray out while I was sleeping; so, I did get dinner and took exactly one bite and no pictures before falling back asleep. I didn’t enjoy the food on this flight, but, I didn’t really need to eat more anyway.

Photo Below: Salad - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

I awoke a couple hours out from Los Angeles and had breakfast before we landed.

Photo Below: My Breakfast: Vegetable sweet potato frittata served with grilled tomato, roasted pork sausage, mushroom and broccoli - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Photo Below: Los Angeles Prior to Landing - Business (Prestige) Class - KE061 (777-300ER)

Last edited by FindAWay; Oct 10, 2013 at 11:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.