Search

The First Class Experience with Garuda Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NoY
Answered in post number 31.
It looks a heck of a lot better than the old beat-up 9W cabin that TG flies.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

simply amazed and I can only follow all the other FT - great to see a new entrant to the premium First Class Market... ^

It clearly changed my opinion about Garuda so far...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Great report. I've only ever used GA for domestic flights within Indonesia, and avoided them for international flights. Maybe I should give them a try!

I am particularly impressed that you got your forgotten outbound stuff back. If you still have your flight menu(s) around, could you please give us a quick snapshot of the inside? Terima kasih!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
"""Have you expereienced the new J (business) class with Garuda? Apparently, the meal service is very similar to the F service only wiht fewer number of selections and slightly different courses. Of course, there is no caviar and vintage champagne on J. """"

No - the last flight I took was in June 2012, I booked late this year and missed out on the specials so did some adventerous flying on Scoot and Air Asia.

However having flown consistently twice a year on GA since Ansett went down the plug hole in 2001, the service has always been good - but has improved dramatically.

All of the staff have been outstanding, we have had flight attendants remember us by name over a number of months, my partner flew home alone in October of 2010, DPS - SYD - one of the crew was on our SYD DPS flight in May of that year - she said Mr L **** surely you are not going home from your May flight, he said no this is my second trip this year.

The food and service is outstanding, and the new F product will only increase that visibility.

What is letting GA down at the moment is its still dodgy reservation system - it often goes down in Australia but the airline has done a lot of work on there systems so they can join Skyteam.

I would not hesitate to fly the new SYD CGK AMS service which comes into being in November - with much improved connection times
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Thank you for the report. I especially enjoyed the reporting of your conversations with the various staff.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Their website is letting them down, looking at NRT-DPS it doesn't come up with anything. Errors keep coming up when searching F flights...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Great report. One of the best I have ever seen. Yea, it reminded me of United so so much....NOT.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:58 pm
UMD
Original Poster

Thank you all again for reading this report and for your comments. I was really blown away by Garuda's First Class Experience.

Originally Posted by mraquinas
Great report as always...
Thanks for sharing especially for this fantastic new product...
It's been a while since I posted my trip report. I believe Garuda deserves to be recognized to have such great and wonderful F products. Also, it is usually very hard to find any TR on Garuda's premium class.

Originally Posted by tng11
Wow, what a spectacular experience. The service, seat, food all look comparable, if not better than SQ and CX. Hopefully this keeps up.
From this flight alone, I can tell you it certainly beats SQ in terms of the seat and the service. I never flew CX F, so I can't compare it to CX.

Originally Posted by TomVexille
Fantastic report. Looks like Garuda have really stepped up their game. Hope they can keep it up.
I agree. I believe this is one of the best, if not the best, F out there. I do really hope Garuda can continue to keep it up. The lounge in CGK is being renovated now for both C and F class passengers. I understand there will be a spa service in the F lounge when it opens.

Originally Posted by spizzy
When the CGK-SYD starts I may have to keep them in mind.
SYD should be up gauged to B77W starting Nov. 7, 2013. So, expect F to be available then. I will be trying out its C on B77W to SYD on Nov. 10 and I am planning to write another report on C class too.

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
WOW! Aman service on an airplane!
Make SQ F look like United F. And SQ F is my favorite F, too.

Speaking of Hasumi-san, my meet and greet girl in NRT was also amazing. She walked us all the way to the booth to book our Narita Express tickets.
Hasumi-san is great and so are all the First Class Assistants and First Class Butlers in CGK.

Originally Posted by fesiempre
the food looks better than i've ever seen, definitely gonna try and do this if i get the chance. great report mate!
The food is indeed very delicious. The wagyu asparagus wraps are out of this world. The Tempura udon is very good too.

Originally Posted by kettle1
Fantastic report. Times sure have changed in the past 20 years.

I was on a flt on GIA between CGK and DPS around 1999 on a DC-10. Every other oxygen mask was duct taped to keep them from falling from the ceiling. The plane was in horrible condition.

Again, fantastic report on the new GIA! Look forward to try the new GIA, this time in FC! ^
The old Garuda is dead. Now, long live the new Garuda. So far, the new Garuda has been true to its word to become one of the premium airlines in the world.

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thanks for the great report, UMD. Wow...just wow. GA looks absolutely amazing. It pains me to say that up until 30 minutes ago, I never knew GA had a F product. It does look a lot better than my CX and SQ flights.
It is indeed better than the SQ F now. I can't compare it to CX since I have never flown CX F.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Absolutely dynamite trip report. Pics and descriptions are fabulous. I have travelled on Garuda in Business and some people who had never flown with them 'warned' me about how terrible they are. I was absolutely amazed at how new the product was and how fabulous the service was. First class looks 10/10.

First class looks on par as with any other airline.
Agree. A lot of people still doubt about the new Garuda. I guess time will tell.

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Kayak is showing about 3800 one way or 5700 RT.
7+ hr each way.
Originally Posted by tfong007
Thank you for your detailed posting.

How are the prices for first on Garuda?
USD 4,266 for CGK - NRT - CGK is what Garuda is advertising on its site now.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
WOW! What a great report!

It's very minor, but the caviar service seems a bit odd, especially the bowl it's served in. However, I'm blown away by the inflight and ground services. I can't believe they actually had your inbound menus and amenity kit waiting for you on the return.

That's an insane level of service. LOVE IT.
What is wrong in serving the caviar in the special bowl that Garuda has? I actually like the bowl. By the way, not a lot of airlines still serve caviar with a proper pearl spoon. I believe only NH is still doing it.

Until today, I am still very impressed that they return the menu and the amenity kit back to me and have them waiting for me on my seat.

Originally Posted by aussielori
My very first F flight was jakarta to BAli 30 yrs ago and I was pretty blown away.
I have become a bit picky since then but look forward to trying garuda if they ever do come to SYD in F
SYD should have F starting Nov. 7, 2013 if everything goes as plan.

Originally Posted by time2go1st
That is all really amazing; and to think, I had almost given up on TR's as there was so little new in them these days. Well this is new, a new level that the various competitors had better pay attention to. Most impressive of all is the sweet and natural cordiality of the service. Never saw anything like it. Thank you so much for your effort in sharing your experience.

One point I did not see you address in scanning through this -- how you liked the seat, for sitting, reclining, and sleeping. Nothing at all looks wrong with it, but maybe you have some comments to share...
The seat is very comfortable and very well thought out and certainly beats the F seat that SQ has on its B77W. It can be adjusted to all kind of positions (including the head rest) to provide the support that we need. I really like the massage function on the seats. In bed mode, it is also very comfortable to sleep on. I believe this is the same F seat as the one on EY and OZ.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Wow - Garuda have really upped their game.

This looks quite impressive? Was that Billecart Salmon champagne?
It was the vintage 2000 Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Nicolas-Francois which I believe is a very good champagne. The other champagne offered is the Non-Vintage Laurent-Perrie Cuvee Rose.

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Great report. I've only ever used GA for domestic flights within Indonesia, and avoided them for international flights. Maybe I should give them a try!

I am particularly impressed that you got your forgotten outbound stuff back. If you still have your flight menu(s) around, could you please give us a quick snapshot of the inside? Terima kasih!
Here you go (I do apologize for the quality of the pictures), these first 4 pictures are the beverage menu:

The tea and coffee menu:

The Breakfast menu:

Originally Posted by SFore
Their website is letting them down, looking at NRT-DPS it doesn't come up with anything. Errors keep coming up when searching F flights...
This is the only issue facing Garuda at the moment. The booking engine on the website is not very reliable yet. However, a lot of improvements have been done to the website such as seat request done on the website. I have been advised that online check-in for its International flight will be available sometimes in Nov. Let's hope that Garuda can have all website issues resolved by the time it joins SkyTeam in March 2014.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:44 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
It looks a heck of a lot better than the old beat-up 9W cabin that TG flies.
Indeed it does.

Thanks to the OP for posting the menu. Looks good. Pleased to see that GA have not been suckered into serving only French wines
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Thanks for the menu. You have go to love how they have Caviar as on demand under the Snacks in the menu Hopefully someone will post the Lunch/Dinner Menu as well as I would be interested to see what is on offer. Glad to here the SYD will be starting soon.

Last edited by spizzy; Sep 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
"Thank you, Mr. UMD! Your trip report was one of the nicest I've read in a good long while! Garuda's First Class looks very nice indeed." ^^
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Awesome trip report!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Superb report!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Looks and sounds fantastic! I particularly like the details like the Pearl Spoon being used for the Caviar! LH could learn from Garuda on this!

The choice of champagnes however did not impress much. Really a non-issue for most people but since they are going all out, might as well improve this part to be more competitive.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I am truly impressed by how much Garuda Indonesia has improved over the years. I think it has undegone a quantum leap forward already. I remember flying Garuda on C while I lived in Jakarta some years back and not being sure if we would arrive safely or not at our destination.

Take a look at them now. Two thumbs up for Garuda. Look forward to seeing the airline becoming a member of Sky Team in 2014. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.