JNB-DUR on SAA J + BA J and the magnificent Oyster Box Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB-DUR on SAA J + BA J and the magnificent Oyster Box Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Great TR. Have never visited SA but your TR gives a great insight. Someday will be lucky to visit.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Very nice TR. Brought back memories!

Wife and I honeymooned in SA and spent a few days in DUR. We stayed at an exquisite boutique hotel Teremok Marine, which was walking distance to Oyster Box.

Lunch at OB was quite nice, even though we did not select the very popular curry buffet.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, OneWorld, SkyTeam
Great TR, amazing Hotel
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
The Oyster Box looks awesome, certainly a reason to visit Durban.

I normally think of J'burg/Pretoria and Cape Town but will include Durban next trip
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:15 pm

Hi:

Is it worth visiting the Drakensberg area.

Great pictures.

Now I know where to stay in Durban.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Great TR! I've been enjoying SA reports lately. ^
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Well done report, thanks.
Very nice hotel, will add it to the list.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: FT
great TR.

It really blows me a way at what BA puts on those SA flights in terms of food, er I mean Comair, versus what they put on its intra EU crap, I mean club Europe routes.

clearly BA could do this on shorter Band 1 and 2 flights IF they wanted to.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks for the trip report. Also recently flew to Durban and was impressed with the SLOW lounge offerings.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: Various
Thanks for the report. The hotel in Durban looks really nice and I appreciated the comparison between BA and SA.

I am visiting South Africa this (northern) winter and I am looking forward to it.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Sorry for the late replies... work etc...

LongingForORD
I have been to SA many times and always enjoy Cape Town, also much enjoyed the trip to Kruger NP, additionally I love the beauty of the Drakensburg Mountains.

Can't wait for my next trip to SA in September, will be transiting thru JNB (with a couple of stops to re-group at the Sandton Hilton). I have never been to the Cradle of Humankind, is it worth a tour??

Your lovely photo's have made me re-think Durban.
It is definitely worth a detour if you would like to see some interesting ancient trinkets and have a nice meal. The place is a short distance from Johannesburg but will probably end up taking at least half a day to enjoy properly.

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Thank so much for your trip report. Really enjoyed it...
It's a great pleasure, I_Can_Fly_US_Airways

Originally Posted by time2go1st
That's really great -- never saw a more alluring hotel report than yours. And as you say: really NOTHING visible to raise any objection. Thanks for your efforts in showing it in such warm detail, it provides a lovely daydream for those of us who have never been there.
Thank you for the kind words, time2go1st

Originally Posted by duniawala
Great TR. Have never visited SA but your TR gives a great insight. Someday will be lucky to visit.
You won't regret coming here duniawala

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Very nice TR. Brought back memories!

Wife and I honeymooned in SA and spent a few days in DUR. We stayed at an exquisite boutique hotel Teremok Marine, which was walking distance to Oyster Box.

Lunch at OB was quite nice, even though we did not select the very popular curry buffet.
Thanks anc-ord772... Yes Teremok Marine seems to be the only place that really can outpip the Oyster Box on tripadvisor. Thanks for the feedback, we'll try that too!

Originally Posted by styxl
Great TR, amazing Hotel
Thank you very much styxl.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Hi:

Is it worth visiting the Drakensberg area.

Great pictures.

Now I know where to stay in Durban.
Thanks Bretteee... The Drakensburg is very scenic and beautiful. You must just be aware that it is a four hour car ride from either Johannesburg or Durban (it seems to be in the middle of the two). There are some lovely resorts there if you feel like relaxing. It's freezing cold in winter but temperate in summer.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
The Oyster Box looks awesome, certainly a reason to visit Durban.

I normally think of J'burg/Pretoria and Cape Town but will include Durban next trip
Thanks for the kind words adampenrith

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Great TR! I've been enjoying SA reports lately. ^
Thanks Jimgotkp

Originally Posted by corporateslave
Well done report, thanks.
Very nice hotel, will add it to the list.
Thanks corporateslave

Originally Posted by mkjr
great TR.

It really blows me a way at what BA puts on those SA flights in terms of food, er I mean Comair, versus what they put on its intra EU crap, I mean club Europe routes.

clearly BA could do this on shorter Band 1 and 2 flights IF they wanted to.
Thanks mkjr, I've heard this complaint before. It seems like BA club europe isn't all that similar.

Originally Posted by freshaz
Thanks for the trip report. Also recently flew to Durban and was impressed with the SLOW lounge offerings.
Thanks [Bfreshaz][/B], I thought it was well stocked too. Better than the SAA lounge but with poorer views.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Thanks for the report. The hotel in Durban looks really nice and I appreciated the comparison between BA and SA.

I am visiting South Africa this (northern) winter and I am looking forward to it.
Thank you Fredrik74, I hope you have a great trip!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Wonderful TR!^ It certainly tempts me to visit Durbs again - something I haven't done in a long while.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond
Great trip report!
One Q - was your SAA flight on the new A320? I have not seen any images of the new business class seats / cabin yet. Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Wonderful TR!^ It certainly tempts me to visit Durbs again - something I haven't done in a long while.
Thank you Cheetah_SA!

Originally Posted by jetboys360
Great trip report!
One Q - was your SAA flight on the new A320? I have not seen any images of the new business class seats / cabin yet. Thanks.
Thank you jetboys360! I'm not sure if it was new A320 but I couldn't find a picture online of the seat map or any part of the interior. It was a frustration.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I'm no expert in African geography but I'm 98.765% certain that the Oyster Box is not in Cape Town... as the banner ad on FT suggests...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.