Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A double shot of Minsk, thanks to poor planning and an inconvertible currency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I crash for a 3 hour nap, ignoring all standard jet-lag fighting protocols. Wake up, take a shower, change, break out the puffy jacket, and head for walk. It's a brisk 0F outside.

Svislach River. That's what polluted water looks like in the process of freezing. In New Jersey, we are familiar with this process.

I'm starting to freeze and duck into a coffee chop, London Cafe. It's on the main drag, (Nezavisimosti) is quiet, warm, and has good coffee and desserts. It was only a few blocks from my apartment, and I dropped in a few times during the trip. If Minsk had legit hipsters, this is where they'd go for coffee.

Not too much funk. Just a splash.

I grab dinner at the restaurant on the first floor of building. All hopped up on coffee, I decide to bring it down with a beer. I wish I could remember the name, it was pretty good.

My entree was the perfect dish ever, the end.

Fried potato things. Chicken. Filled with cheese. Wrapped in bacon. I devoured it and headed upstairs to crash. Andrei was meeting me at 8:30 am.

Last edited by FlyIgglesFly; Jul 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
Rule number 1 when dealing with flats in Belarus: Never judge a flat by it's stairwell. I've seen some very beautiful apartments in Minsk that had stairwells that seemed like something out of the projects in just about any major city. How much did you pay for that flat? Or did you already mention that..

Eric
Flat was around $60/night, if I recall correctly. For reference, it was on Gorodsky Val, a block from Nazavisimosti and across from the back end of the KGB.

And Psuedo Nim, I got lucky. The currency wasn't devalued like it was in 2011. Stayed just about the same.

SFO777, SeaRaptor: Let me first and foremost apologize to you both for denying the eye candy you so crave and deserve. I hope you'll understand my primary goal was to gain access to the country at that point. And I much prefer to play the role of sketchy foreigner of indeterminate origin without any photographic record of my sketchiness.

Thanks to all the encouraging replies. I'm glad to have this creative outlet and, at the same time, maybe make a few of you laugh. I'll plug away at this for the rest of the week, so expect a few posts around this time nightly.

Last edited by FlyIgglesFly; Jul 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Flat was around $60/night, if I recall correctly.

And Psuedo Nim, I got lucky. The currency wasn't devalued like it was in 2011. Stayed just about the same.
Haha, all right. I guess that's one potential plot twist removed. Onwards, then!!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:24 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable, well done Sir, bravo & encore.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:52 pm

Unless, you know, she's the kind of hot mess that's into me and can go at least four days without trying to stab me. I call those "keepers."
That's beautiful. You are my travel writing hero.

I think I may soon adopt the phrase "Kinshasa degrees." @#!% brilliant!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Lovin' it. Can't wait for tomorrow's installment. ^
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Great report. Brings back some memories of my visit in 2010, but we crossed via land at the Lithuanian-Belarus border, in my personal car. That took a huge bureaucracy to temporarily "import" the car for our trip, but managed to pull it off after visiting 6 separate windows at the border crossing.

I think we used the same apartment rental agency too. Our guy drove an older BMW 5-series wagon also.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
I snoop on the rest of the C passengers during the flight and gather they're from Qatar, coming to Minsk at the invitation of the government, and are somehow involved in potash. These men will not be needing visas on arrival and will most likely be whisked past any and all levels of bureaucracy. As long as we get a gate, I'll be first to the consulate.

We get a gate. Potashers are indeed met right off the jetway by a Just The Right Amount Of Hot Official Government Welcomer, leaving the path clear to for me to the consulate window.
Interesting to note that Belarus Potash Company in the news today....Russian and Belarus cartel collapses...the fertilizer hit the fan.

Last edited by Mr. Strong; Jul 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Svislach River. That's what polluted water looks like in the process of freezing. In New Jersey, we are familiar with this process.

Classic!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: SQ KF
epic TR! thanks! made my day
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: FT
Nice TR. That apartment is great. You would never have known how good it was from the cold war outside…in fact, the place looks like it was recently renovated.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Flat was around $60/night, if I recall correctly. For reference, it was on Gorodsky Val, a block from Nazavisimosti and across from the back end of the KGB.
Ah, yes, only two blocks from my sisters flat on Karl Marx St, or properly 'Vulica Karla Marksa'. Walked by the KGB HQ many times, was too scared to get too close to it, being a gov't employee and what not. Did enjoy the mall in front of the Church of St. Helen and Simon. Found a bunch of good deals on tourist goods right next to the Palace of the Republic. Don't imagine they were out much in the winter.

Keep it up, haven't seen a Minsk TR in a long time,
Eric
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
MSQ isn't exactly a clusterf**k per se, but it's not the most efficient. That being said, it still beats my home airports of EWR/PHL because at MSQ at least you get to deal with officials such as the Ridiculously Too Hot For An X-Ray Machine Watcher or Ridiculously Too Hot For A Document Checker ladies. Instead of the typical Ridiculously Too Fat And Too Dumb To Be Alive TSA employees in the US. People claim to be molested during pat downs in the US. People try to be molested during pat downs at MSQ. "NO, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT KNIFE GOT THERE, BUT YOU BETTER CHECK REAL THOROUGHLY FOR ANYTHING ELSE, IRINA. Whoa, not that thoroughly..."
I know I'm late to the party, but this paragraph had me literally on the floor laughing. I was at work, too, which was a bit awkward...

Great, great TR! One for the ages! ^^

-S
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
I grab dinner at the restaurant on the first floor of building. All hopped up on coffee, I decide to bring it down with a beer. I wish I could remember the name, it was pretty good.

The logo on the glass is for Golden Pheasant. That doesn't necessarily mean the beer is as well, though...

-S
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
A Golden Pheasant. Not native to Belarus. But memorable none the less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.