Wiki Posts
Search

A double shot of Minsk, thanks to poor planning and an inconvertible currency

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FlyIgglesFly, what a great finish to a classic TR. ^
We're seriously talking eightblack-like here.

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
... zero problems at customs and immigration listing only "Germany, Poland" on my declaration form. Little tip to CBP: When you demand that I "list countries visited," you're not requiring that I list ALL countries. Germany and Poland are, in fact, countries which I visited. So is Belarus, but I seem to have already fulfilled my obligations under the phrasing of your demand. Semantics are a b**ch.
Love it. Perfectly logical. Of course, now that I have GE, CBP doesn't give a sh*t.

I wanted to call out sick, but I didn't.
Because I am responsible.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Fair enough.

I guess you really didnt want the US Government to see you have been in Belarus. What if they are reading this??? It seems the US Government have paid the British Government £100m to spy on British citizens such as myself (courtesy of Mr Snowden) so how do we know they are not watching this?

However with your Irish Passport you are welcome in the UK whenever, remember that.

Loving these trip reports by the way. Thanks a lot.
If they're reading this...so be it. It'll make for an even better story when I get the knock on my door.

And I've used the Irish passport more than a few times in the UK. But I don't want to consider myself always welcome in he UK, lest the Brits think they're always welcome in Ireland.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by SFO777
FlyIgglesFly, what a great finish to a classic TR. ^

Love it. Perfectly logical. Of course, now that I have GE, CBP doesn't give a sh*t.

Finally having done one of these, I have a newfound respect for the time it takes to put a trip report together. And I never feel like it's perfect, I can see myself getting all antsy someday soon and trying to improve the wording. My vocabulary, though expansive when compared to most people in whose company I find myself on a day to day basis, is nowhere near where I'd like it to be.

And the mods would probably frown upon my desired substitutions of profanity in lieu of big boy words.

I've got a few other completed trips I might write about, and a few big ones coming up, hopefully, in the fall. We'll see how high my motivation level stays.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:02 am
Suspended

If they're reading this...so be it. It'll make for an even better story when I get the knock on my door.

And I've used the Irish passport more than a few times in the UK. But I don't want to consider myself always welcome in he UK, lest the Brits think they're always welcome in Ireland.
Hahahaha thats true, it certainly would make a good story.

Well I am on a UK passport and always feel welcome whenever I am in Ireland. Remember LHR-DUB is one of the busiest air routes in the world!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
[QUOTE=SFO777;21227817]FlyIgglesFly, what a great finish to a classic TR. ^

+1
Only thing missing is the arm waving.
My anticipation was greatly rewarded. Excellent report .Great and relevant pictures.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Great TR - you are a gifted writer, so keep 'em coming

Loved all of it, except the Dmitri part, however that is due to the fact, that I spend a lot of time in the Former Soviet Union, and have to deal with these types...

At the end of the day, your TR makes my experiences of almost getting shot in a Port-au-Prince ghetto (yes, there is such a thing), and driving through the Tanzanian bush, quite insignificant

For me, Belarus is just another place - I speak fluent Russian, so all the excellent and funny things you've pointed out and experienced, would just pass by, as insignificant daily events - very refreshing to see all of the otherwise unseen...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.003008 MM
I try to stop by the TR forum once a week or so. I confess that several times I passed on reading "Double Shot of Minsk" because this part of Europe doesn't interest me.

That was a mistake.

What an AWESOME trip report! I still have no interest in visiting Belarus but man what an excellent write up this was.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:46 pm

Great TR. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sure it took a lot of effort both writing and posting the pictures. It was very refreshing to read a TR that wasn't all about what champagne was served or if the lobster wasn't exactly the best one they've had...on a free ticket.

Remind me, in the end did your gambling losses and the expenses eat up all your currency? Or did you change it?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
An amazing trip report.
And now, we don't have to go to Minsk.

Thank you.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:39 am

What a great TR, thanks! You made me start planning a weekend trip to Minsk now...

w
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:55 am

I've got a few other completed trips I might write about, and a few big ones coming up, hopefully, in the fall. We'll see how high my motivation level stays.
Keep that motivation level up! We're looking forward to more!!! ^
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: SPG Aeroplan
Great Trip Report! I really enjoyed it but don't think I would enjoy actually visiting Minsk as much
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
I apologize at this point for my lack of descriptions on some of the pictures. I'd kept a faily detailed travel journal from about 2010 through early this year, but for the life of me I can't find it since moving to a new apartment in March. I'm relying as best as I can on a fragmented memory assisted by captions I'd attached to some of these pictures when I uploaded them to my computer. Any of you Minsk experts who can clarify what exactly a building or location is, especially if I'm way off, by all means pitch in. I promise to thank you via private message, but only after I edit my post and transfer 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points to a moderator to delete your correction in an effort to hide all evidence of my mistake.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b592/Iaspurlock/Facebook/Belarus%20Round%202%20plus%20Warsaw/536869_622433231798_1768855701_n.jpg
That's the City Hall (Ratusza), at the High Market Square (Vysoki Rynak).

Built in 1600, housed the city magistrate until 1795 when Catherine II deprived the city of the Magdeburg Law. Later functioned as offices and music school. Destroyed in 1857 on order of Nicolas I. Rebuilt in 2004.

http://be-x-old.wikipedia.org/wiki/%...83%D1%88%D0%B0
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:38 pm

Great TR. You've set high expectations. When's your next trip?!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A fantastic report, I really enjoyed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.