Wiki Posts
Search

Photo trip report and review: Airberlin JFK-DUS in business class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Smile Photo trip report and review: Airberlin JFK-DUS in business class

Welcome to my first trip report at Flyertalk. I took the Airberlin long-haul flight last week and AB's service exceeded my expectation. So, I'd like to write a mini-report about the flight, with photos

I took the airtran to JFK. AB flies out of JFK T8, the same as AA.

Bulkhead seats

Old-style seat control. The non lie-flat dentist chair wasn't that bad.

Entertainment control.

Amenity kit

Red wine selection

White wine selection (sorry it's blurry)

Appetizer

Main course

The lobster appetizer and cheesecake. Both are beyond delicious! Yummy!

Seabass. What can I say, yummy!

I still felt a little hungry after I ate my first main course so I politely asked the flight attendant if I could have the chicken as well. The flight attendant brought me the chicken dish happily. The chicken was well-cooked and it was tender and juicy.

Chocolate was distributed before landing.

Almost there!

Parked in position. What a nice day in DUS.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Here are my reviews:

Service: I found AB's staff are amazing. The check in process at JFK is quite efficient. The FA are quite helpful. They refilled my glass without a break, i.e. whenever they saw my glass is empty, they asked me if I want a refill. score: 5/5

Seat comfortness: The angle flat seat was better than I thought. It's definitely more comfy than the domestic F seats. AB is introducing true lie-flat seat and I'm sure I'll sleep better on those.
score: 3.5/5

Amenity bag: I usually care less about the amenity bag but the contents are suffice.
score: 4/5

Food: Amazing! The lobster tasted fresh. The seabass was well-prepared and the chicken was tender and juicy. I found the quality of the dish is on par with SQ long haul. This definitely surprised me.
score: 5/5

Last edited by mediator; Mar 22, 2013 at 9:21 am Reason: complete the review
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a brilliant trip report!! Keep it up the good work. Looking forward for your next flight back home.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Thanks for posting this! Couple of things popped out at me:

-Memories of taking the train to JFK.
-Stretching my legs in terminal 8, looking out the window and wondering what AB was like.
-Looking at the menu it took me a sec to realize I was reading the German part. I am a German linguist, but haven't read German in 2 years. Didn't even notice!

I plan to go to Germany in the next year or two. may have to take a close look at AB as my carrier!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:41 pm

Thanks for the report.

Were these your seats?

From your pictures it looks like you had the old, recliner seats. I thought AB had gotten rid of them a few months ago. My understanding was that most planes had the above seats (they came from LX) and that at least one plane had their 'new' new seats, fully-flat seats like EY/IB.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:49 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Looks like manual controls on those seats. Yuck!!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
Thanks for the report.

Were these your seats?

From your pictures it looks like you had the old, recliner seats. I thought AB had gotten rid of them a few months ago. My understanding was that most planes had the above seats (they came from LX) and that at least one plane had their 'new' new seats, fully-flat seats like EY/IB.
I don't think I have seats like that. I couldn't find any power port near my seat.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

@N830MH
Thank you! Actually I flew back on BA. Nothing special about that. I found although BA's seats are lie-flat, their service are kinda mediocre.
@Gamecock
Thanks!
@Far Siren
Yeah the manual controls are definitely showing its age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.