Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Zealand South Island (Milford Track and Sound, Abel Tasman, and more)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand South Island (Milford Track and Sound, Abel Tasman, and more)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your kind comments!

Originally Posted by boyerling3
What were the dates of your trip? Did people recommend certain months over others?
We were there in early February. The prime months are usually October-April. You are still allowed to walk the Track in the off-season, the cooking gas is turned off, and even some of the smaller bridges are removed from the track to keep them from getting washed out or damaged in the winter. Additionally, there can be considerable avalanche danger from avalanches that form on the top of the mountains and routinely slide onto the track, so you have to watch avalanche forecasts carefully if attempting the track off season. Personally, I wouldn't even consider the track in the off-season without considerable familiarity with it.

Originally Posted by glu800
I did a very similar trip report on the Milford Track and South Island about a year ago and your pictures simply put mine to shame. What kind of camera did you use? Thanks for sharing! ^
Thanks, your trip report was actually one of the things that really got me thinking about New Zealand as a destination. I'm so glad I read it. I use an Olympus OM-D EM-5 with the 12-42 lens plus occasionally a Rokinon 7.5 fisheye.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I understand the Routebourn is reservation only now. I used to practically commute to Milford on that track. I knew all the hut wardens, most of whom brewed their own beer!
You know, we actually never saw a kea. I guess they tend to hang out in gangs, and they were at Dumpling the night before us and they went backwards to Mintaro the night we left. The rangers were definitely one of the best parts of the track. One of the ones we met was still actively pursuing all means of home brewing and "medicinal crops" research.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat
Excellent report. Thx.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Nice TR.

I did the Milford 20 years ago. I took the guided trip, but it was a good bit cheaper, and a good bit more rustic back in those days.

Nelson Lakes is great. Very few non-kiwis on the trails back there. I managed a quick trip up to Hopeless Hut. I'd have gone further, but the water taxi wasn't to be found.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Great report, thanks for sharing! I have just been to Milford Sound over the weekend (no time for any hiking unfortunately but definitely on the list) and I can say I was lucky with the weather compared to the pics from your cruise! Also brought back some Abel Tasman kayaking memories.. That was so much fun. Fantastic pictures too!

About your SYD-AKL flight - you got a meal so soft drinks (in fact any drink) should have been free.. I wouldn't expect the redemption of miles to place you into the 'Seat+Bag' fare class - or else you may not have received a meal.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Great TR I was in Queenstown in November 2012 and it was pretty cold even in november! I also stayed at the Queenstown Hilton and was upgraded to a lake wakatipu suite being a HH Gold member. I enjoyed this hotel very much.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Beautiful scenery. Thanks for the report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.