Washington to Peru and Machu Picchu on COPA and TACA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington to Peru and Machu Picchu on COPA and TACA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
I was in Peru back in 2002, when the train started in Cusco and made its way slowly up the side of the mountain before heading off through the Sacred Valley. I ended up doing the Sacred Path (2 day) hike to Machu Picchu. I've been yearning to go back and hike the full Inca Trail, which, thanks to the recently price war between United & Delta out of each others hubs, will be doing in March next year...

I'm anxious to see how much has changed in the past 12 years....

thanks for writing up this post (i think I also posted something on your site).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
SUMAQ Hotel, Aguas Calientes

Room:

We'd reserved the basic standard room, and it was perfectly fine. .The beds were very comfortable, there were more pillows than I had a clue what to do with (seriously, there were 6 pillows on each bed!) and the temperature was decent. .There was no climate control, so the room tended to be slightly on the warm side, but not enough to every really be a problem. .Bathroom was well-stocked with decent eco-friendly amenities, and considering this was a small town it was a very nice room.
Are you sure it was the SUMAQ? That seems to be an ultra-expensive hotel. Rates start at $500/night!!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Are you sure it was the SUMAQ? That seems to be an ultra-expensive hotel. Rates start at $500/night!!
Absolutely certain. They were having a promo something like stay 2 nights, get 33% off and free dinners? I don't remember the details. We were there in the rainy season, however, so...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Absolutely certain. They were having a promo something like stay 2 nights, get 33% off and free dinners? I don't remember the details. We were there in the rainy season, however, so...
I am looking at late April. Not really high season I think.
They don't list any basic rooms, just Deluxe Rooms. Maybe they upgraded the entire hotel.

Edit to add: you only stayed on night, correct? For my own trip I am wondering if I should stay two nights. Not sure if that makes sense as the train back to Cusco departs pretty late (4 pm).

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I am looking at late April. Not really high season I think.
They don't list any basic rooms, just Deluxe Rooms. Maybe they upgraded the entire hotel.

Edit to add: you only stayed on night, correct? For my own trip I am wondering if I should stay two nights. Not sure if that makes sense as the train back to Cusco departs pretty late (4 pm).
Two nights. Got in in the afternoon and then spent much of the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.