Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My Weekend Jaunt to California ~ All 23000 Miles Of It!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Weekend Jaunt to California ~ All 23000 Miles Of It!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
WOW. I got halfway before takeoff on my first flight of the day and will be reading the remainder on the second and third (since there won't be any views at night). Amazing read so far, Seat 2A, you are indeed the FT master of prose.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
The last time I flew Southwest out of Phoenix was way back in 1984. I was aboard N24SW, a 737-200 that served WN faithfully for another thirteen years before being sold to Orient Eagle Airways in 1997. The very next year it was damaged beyond repair after skidding off a runway at Alma Ata, Kazakhstan. It was a sad ending for this reliable little workhorse, but hardly extraordinary. I have tracked the whereabouts of most every aircraft I have ever flown upon and about fifty of them have come to an untimely end - usually in some third world backwater. Others have been involved in some rather famous disasters like the Pan Am 747 that collided with the KLM 747 in Tenerife. I flew that plane between Honolulu and Seattle in 1976. Or the American DC-10 that literally lost an engine on takeoff from OHare back in 1979. Id flown that plane on a short SAN-LAX flight just two years earlier. It seemed fine then
My old man flew on at least one of the 9/11 UA aircraft. Can't remember which one.

Kansas Citys Union Station is one of the most beautiful train stations Ive ever been in. It was built during an era when train stations reflected the grandeur and excitement of long distance travel. Its Beaux-Arts architectural style includes a cavernous and ornate grand hall, high sculpted ceilings, polished stone floors and a cathedral like ambience. When it opened for business in 1914, it was the second largest train station in the country. Only St. Louis Union Station was larger.
Agreed. My personal favorite is St. Louis though. When ever I am down there I enjoy visiting there just for the architecture.

At its peak during World War II, an estimated one million travelers passed through this station. Like any large city terminal, the station included restaurants, a cigar store, and a barber shop. Additionally, it was the corporate headquarters for Fred Harvey, the company that famously catered the Santa Fe railroad and operated a string of hotels throughout the Southwest. Its hard to believe that despite of all of its remarkable history and glamor, this magnificent building sat empty and unused for a ten year period from 1989 to 1999.
Isn't the Fred Harvey company still around? I do remember on a 2001 trip to Death Valley they had a store out there.

My first train ride today will take me 283 miles from Kansas City through the heart of Missouri to St. Louis. Some of the named trains operating this route in years past were the Ann Rutledge, the Kansas City Mule and the St. Louis Mule. In 2009, Amtrak held a contest to rename the route with the winning entry being the Missouri River Runner.
Ironically enough my first train trip in 1995 with my father was on the Ann Rutledge from Chicago-St. Louis. IMO that is a much more classier name then the Lincoln Service which runs Chicago-St. Louis.

While many people living on the more populated East or West coasts may not find Americas Heartland very interesting (it's all flyover country for many of them), I think this area is rich in beautiful scenery. Over the next six hours, we travelled through low rolling hills and fields dotted by pretty farm houses, multiple silos, quaint back roads and sleepy Midwestern towns that appear not to have changed much if at all over the past fifty years. The old country towns were the most interesting part of the trip for me. I loved the old brick buildings and quaint storefronts that represent a slice of small town America that many people only get to read about. Most tourists, especially foreigners, rarely if ever travel to towns like these but Id like to think that if they did theyd leave with a very favorable impression of their visit, and indeed America as a whole. While in the old days these smaller towns would have been served by a local train, nowadays the train passes through them enroute to stops at the larger towns. Id love to return here someday and ply these back roads and country towns with my trusty Toyota pick-up. If gas prices ever drop sufficiently, Ill do just that.
Glad to see that there is another FTer that loves small town America.

St. Louis Union Station opened for business in 1894. At its opening it was already the largest passenger rail terminal in the world and very shortly thereafter it was also the worlds busiest with over one hundred train departures per day. Architecturally it is simply magnificent, built in an eclectic mix of Romanesque styles. A plaque detailing its history indicated that the station was modeled after Carcassonne, a walled, medieval city in southern France. The Grand Hall a staple of all the worlds great railway stations is one of the most impressive I have ever seen featuring sweeping archways, fresco and gold leaf detailing, mosaics and art glass windows. It now serves as the lobby and lounge area for the St. Louis Union Station Hotel, a 539 room property operated by Hilton under the DoubleTree banner.
It's a nice station. However it is a pity that it isn't being used by Amtrak anymore. Ironically enough the Hotel use to be a Hyatt. That is where my Dad and I stayed in 1995 during my first train trip. We also took the light rail over to East St. Louis because the River Boats weren't running due to the water levels. I will never go back to East St. Louis.

My first flight aboard an Embraer ERJ190 came in 2006 aboard Air Canada between Ottawa and Toronto. I was impressed. From a passengers perspective, I think Embraers got a real winner in the E190 and its smaller sibling the E170. Both offer a wide spacious cabin thats big enough to allow for normal sized coach seats much like youd expect to find in a Boeing sized jetliner rather than those hard, skimpy little things that pass for seats in Embraers smaller 135-145 series aircraft as well as many CRJs.
From my limited ERJ family experience (I flew the E175 on Air Canada from YYZ-ORD they do have a real winner.

Although none of the other passengers in the gate area seemed to care one way or the other, I was distinctly disappointed to find that the aircraft operating Frontier 1333 down to Albuquerque was an ex-Midwest machine still wearing Midwests attractive blue, gold and white livery. Id really been looking forward to flying the 190 painted up as one of Frontiers Animal Jets.
There is something I like about the Midwest livery over the Frontier "Animal Jets." I remember when it became apparent that Midwest would be folded into Frontier spending a day up in Milwaukee photographing Midwest jets.

During the planning stages of this little expedition, I had looked into upgrading to First Class sleeper accommodations out to LA. Last year I saw that it was possible to upgrade between Albuquerque and LA for as little as $100.00 but this year the least expensive upgrade I could find was $167.00.
Back in the days Amtrak use to sell on-board upgrades pretty cheap. I remember my Mom scoring one in a Roomette for $100.00 each.

For those of you who have never attended an airline collectibles convention, picture a big hotel meeting room filled with table after table of everything from airline timetables to airliner models to dinner service china to books to postcards to just about whatever you can imagine having anything to do with the airline industry including barf bags and old 727 operations manuals. Back in the 80s and early nineties I used to rent tables and sell postcards, magazines and menus. My postcard collection exceeds 15000 cards and I have about 3000 spares. Most of my menus were from the 1970s and 80s and in the case of both menus and postcards, most of my best stuff has been sold off, if not at a collectibles show then on eBay. These days I enjoy just browsing as well as meeting up with old friends, many of whom still work the circuit.
We have one of those shows in Chicago once or twice a year. I went to my first one in October and I enjoyed it. Bought some timetables and a couple of 1/400 scale model airplanes.

And finally, the journey from Denver to Oakland aboard the California Zephyr is regarded by many as the most scenic rail journey in North America.
While I haven't done it a buddy of mine is an Engineer based out of Denver on that route and according to him it is very scenic.

At some point Brad made mention of a website called FlyerTalk where hed apparently learned a few tricks of the trade.

Im familiar with FlyerTalk, I said. I sometimes post over in the Trip Reports forum.

Whats your FlyerTalk name? asked Brad.

Seat 2A I replied.

Gasp!

Ive heard of you!

Really? Well I guess I have submitted a few reports over the years

Turns out Brad was an infrequent poster on FT indeed he could hardly remember his FT name. He couldnt quite remember how hed heard of me but he knew that he had.
It is amazing the people you will run into while traveling. I ran to one of my Dad's former co-workers son's once while in Paris.

Also I ran into some friends of a friend while in Germany. The irony was six weeks later I saw them at this friends 4th of July party.

The longest Amtrak train Ive ever ridden was the combined California Zephyr, Desert Wind and Pioneer back in the mid-eighties. Between Chicago and Denver that train was as much as nineteen cars long. Ive ridden many trains in Mexico through the seventies and eighties that were over twenty cars long but by far the longest train Ive ever ridden was Australias The Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs to Darwin in Australia. That train was thirty-four cars long. Crikey!
This brings back many memories my Dad would take me out to see this train on the weekends. Talk about long. I seem to remember one being around 24 cars long. Would come thru at 3:40PM assuming it was on-time 25 minutes after it left Chicago.

Ah the Pacific Parlour Car. For many, this car is the primary reason why they booked First Class accommodations on the Starlight. Unquestionably the most luxurious car in the Amtrak fleet, the Pacific Parlour Cars are available exclusively to First Class passengers riding aboard the Coast Starlight. There are no similar cars on any other Amtrak trains.
Ahh yes brings back memories of a trip my Aunt took me on in 2003 from LA-Seattle and back. It was a fun trip.

The Pacific Parlour Cars have an impressive railroad history dating back to the mid-1950s when they were built by the Budd Company for the Santa Fe Railways all coach El Capitan operating between Chicago and Los Angeles. The El Cap was the first long distance train to employ completely Hi-Level or two-level cars in its consist and those early Hi-Level cars were the model Amtrak used to design its current bi-level Superliner fleet.
Do they still have the movie theater down-stairs?

I was particularly happy to see Pacific Parlour Car Napa Valley included in tonights consist because on many of my past rides aboard the Starlight, there was no Parlour Car. Due to their advanced age, they were maintenance hogs that required a lot of extra and expensive attention. The word is that Amtrak has overcome many of those early problems and now the reliability of the remaining cars is less of an issue.
^ Back in 2003 when I rode it going Northbound the A/C pooped out and the car JUST came out of Overhaul the month before. That made the cheese melt during the Wine & Cheese tasting.

Southbound it had broken down so we were stuck with a regular lounge.

I was recently checking the price for a roomette between Santa Barbara and Portland for a trip later this spring on the Coast Starlight. A winter sale put the Coach fare at $82.00 with the First Class add on being only $198.00. Subtract my 10% AAA discount (off the coach fare) and consider that I get my own private room plus the cost of all enroute meals in the dining car I can order whatever I like off the menu including dessert and I think that the total of about $290.00 is a steal compared to the $1000.00 or more that one would pay for a similar journey in Australia or Europe.
During the summer it is pricy. When my Aunt and I went it was $1,450 ROUND-TRIP for a Deluxe room and while the room was decent my Aunt had problems sleeping because of the thin mattrees and the small blanket. It dind't help I stepped on her while climbing down the ladder at 645am.

Great report!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:08 pm

I wish I had the imagination and fortitude, a testament of going with the flow,
I have been reading the report for the past three hours, taking notes of your
journey, I really enjoyed not only reading but seeing pictures of places I will never
travel, you should write a book on traveling smart. thanks again for taking the time.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:51 pm

Another excellent read. Thank you again for sharing another great journey.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Excellent, excellent report Seat2A...

I can't wait to take my son on a long distance train....

FDW
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by LH738
The grandmaster of trip reports is back. Great landscapes.
+1.

What a great read. Great photos too. Thanks Seat 2A. See you in Denali this summer - hopefully in early June then again in early September (camping at Wonder Lake both times).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wow - 900 some odd hits already - I had no idea FlyerTalk was so busy on the weekends! Truth be known, I imagine only a fraction of those 900 hits actually managed to find the time to read this report in its entirety but for those of you hard cores that did, allow me to paraphrase many a Flight Attendant at flight's end:

THANK YOU so much for reading this report! I realize you have a choice of Trip Reports to read, and I appreciate your taking the time to read this one today.

Really though, with my focus on getting there more so than being there, my reports are a little off this forum's beaten path. I do hope that between my writing and my photographs I can make up for the fact that over my past two reports I haven't had so much as even a single international First Class flight to describe! (I'm working on that for later this year) That said however, America is a truly beautiful and fascinating destination in herself, so if I've inspired anyone to take two or three weeks traveling around our country more so than our cities, that will be every bit as gratifying as your collective kind words about this report. Thanks again though for your comments. They are appreciated ~

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Pour yourself a large Woodford and give yourself a pat on the back.
Thanks, CTP. I was able to accomplish the Woodford pour, but patting myself on the back was a bit more than I could manage, especially after downing that big glass of Woodford. I went outside and rubbed up against a big spruce tree instead!

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Isn't the Fred Harvey company still around? I do remember on a 2001 trip to Death Valley they had a store out there.

I believe the Fred Harvey Company was sold to the Amfac Corporation about ten years ago. Amfac has since been rebranded Xanterra and still acts as the hotel concessionaire at Death Valley National Park (as well as Grand Canyon and a few others) to this day.

Do they still have the movie theater down-stairs (in the Pacific Parlour Cars)?

Yes they do. I believe they offer two movies a day down there. I've personally never understood the allure of watching a movie on a train when there's so much else going on that is a uniquely enjoyable part of traveling by train. I can watch a movie anytime back home. Still, there are definitely a few takers and I believe there is room down there for about 18 people.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I can't wait to take my son on a long distance train....
Seeing that you've indicated Baltimore as a home base, if I may I'd like to recommend Amtrak's Cardinal. This is especially true during autumn and late spring. Westbound it departs Baltimore's Penn Station at 9:29am, arriving Chicago the next morning at 10:05am. From Chicago west, you can't go wrong though if I had a favorite it'd be the California Zephyr. However and whenever you go, I hope you both have a great trip!

By the way, this is a nice story about father/son travel off the Amtrak site.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:49 am
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
A pleasurable read as always Seat2A. Epic. Your TR's are a must read..always.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Another excellent Trip Report as usual. Seat 2A, you were not far from where I live when you were at LGB and there WOULD have been time for a brief visit as I was home that day.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Very nice report.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Thanks for another brilliant trip report. You writing is so vivid, we are there for the ride - a great gift to all of us.

Also, as one who has too little time to train these days but looks forward to when I can enjoy that mode of travel, Amtrak should comp you - I am certain you sold at least 100 trips to FT'ers
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The surprising joys of travelling around one's own country. Especially by train. Lovely TR as always Seat 2A.

Small town America always sounds interesting to me.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Really though, with my focus on getting there more so than being there, my reports are a little off this forum's beaten path. I do hope that between my writing and my photographs I can make up for the fact that over my past two reports I haven't had so much as even a single international First Class flight to describe! ......
Don't you dare to change your style (please!) . Love your report, particularly about your train journeys. There are literally hundreds of threads reporting on F, C, Y classes of services, and many blow-by-blow accounts of airport lounges and check-in lines. Your reports are refreshingly different! You photos are great too!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:55 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Seeing that you've indicated Baltimore as a home base, if I may I'd like to recommend Amtrak's Cardinal. This is especially true during autumn and late spring. Westbound it departs Baltimore's Penn Station at 9:29am, arriving Chicago the next morning at 10:05am. From Chicago west, you can't go wrong though if I had a favorite it'd be the California Zephyr. However and whenever you go, I hope you both have a great trip!

By the way, this is a nice story about father/son travel off the Amtrak site.
Thanks for the info! I love my son but 24 hours on the train in a small compartment might result in one less passenger when we hit Chicago... I thought I would start small.. Looking at the Crescent.. leaves Baltimore at 1745 and gets into Atlanta at 0813... A nice appetizer.. then maybe we'll try a longer distance trip...

FDW
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Legendary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.