Munich-Alps-Fussen-Milan-Florence-Monaco-Nice in our new BMW 640 Gran Coupe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Florence

Day 5-6: Florence, Part 1

Ah Florence...

Of all of the stops on our trip, Florence was our most magical and favorite place to visit. The churches on every corner, amazing art museums, music, people, architecture, food, shopping and history all come together in a spectacular way. We saw movies like Under a Tuscan Sun and Letters to Juliet and intellectually we could tell this was a special place, but we didn't "feel" it until we arrived. It kind of snuck up on us really as we were in our typical go go go mode and it was transformative.

The city of Firenze (Florence) at dawn.

The city at night.

To get the full effect your really need more than two days. I think a week or two would be perfect; you need time to allow each experience to soak in vs. the check it off the list experience. Next time we would like to visit San Gimignano, Sienna, Lucca and the Tuscan vineyards. Having never been, we didn't realize how magical it is here and how much we would fall in love with Tuscany.

A statue up close in the city of Firenze (Florence).

Needless to say, we would like to go back.

On our way to Florence, as you can see, it is dusk so we got off the windy roads and took the Autostrada. We were always behind not wanting to leave the previous spot. The views were nice but not as nice as the windy back roads.

The Autostrada. Like our freeways except it's a toll road and there is no shoulder lane.

On our next European Delivery (were hooked!), we'll build in an extra day and leave out of each place in the morning to allow us to see more of the scenery along the way. As first timers, it felt like a race between each stop as we didn't want to miss anything. Next time, we'd like to enjoy the scenery along the way. Our drive to Florence through the Tuscan countryside.

The Tuscan countryside rolling by.

So we arrive yet again in the dark, late at night to Florence.

Arriving at the Westin Excelsior, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Checking in, both hotels are on the Piazza Ognissanti with the beautiful church lit up at night.

Earlier in our trip we had crashed an Audi party up in the Alps, today we were crashing a Mercedes party. Nice that we could show off our new BMW 640i GC to those other Germans!

Mercedes welcome signs at the St. Regis and Westin Excelsior, Florence.

Mercedes was introducing a new station wagon based on their CLS coupe. The CLS is a nice looking vehicle, the station wagon, not so much.

The St. Regis across the piazza; tomorrow nights stop. You can see the new Mercedes lit up with the Mercedes flags.

A great view of Florence off of our balcony the next morning.

Breakfast at the Westin Excelsior. Quite a nice spread and the 4 or 5 lattes did the trick!

Walking out of the hotel in the morning. You can see all of the Mercedes station wagons parked in the piazza. They multiplied over night.

Early morning rower off of the Ponte Vecchio bridge. Our walking tour started here.

The rowing club along the Arno river.

We booked a morning tour of the city with a visit to the Duomo and the Uffizi gallery (museum). Really the entire city is an art gallery and living museum. The Uffizi gallery had many many famous paintings that you see in books, postcards, etc. It was amazing to see the originals in person.

When we walked into this square it just made our jaws drop. I have never seen so much statuary in one location. Incredible.

There was statuary in every direction. Every which way you turned, never seen anything like this before.

The square is quite large and there were masses of people. I was told September is high season.

The Florence Duomo with the Baptistry in the foreground.

The Duomo up close. At this time of day, the light was behind the building.

The scale of the church is massive.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Sep 30, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Day 5-6: Florence, Part 2

Watching the world go by down below while we enjoy a gelato.

After we went to the Duomo, we went to the Accademia Gallery gallery and saw the statue of Michelangelo’s David. You know, the David that slings the stone at Goliath. You could see the rock in David's right hand and the sling over his shoulder, all carved in marble. There are not words to describe the experience. Photo's were not allowed.

In the afternoon, we went to the Uffizi Gallery (Museum) to look at many famous paintings. The ones that you see in books and on post cards. The museum has so many paintings that it could take weeks to give them all a good look. Even if you were just running from room to room, it would take at least all day.

The museum is massive. This is just one of the outside corridors; this one leads to the entrance which is in the background.

The gallery down one wall.

The front entry to the gallery courtyard.

A section of the inside corridor ceiling. This is just one section of over 25, each the size of a small room. Photo's not allowed of the artwork below.

A view of the Ponte Vecchio bridge from the museum window. We were told that the bridge originally included fish mongers and butcher shops but the stench was too strong. So the Medici family changed it to allow only jewelry stores.

Up on the roof of the gallery. You can purchase a snack and drink and sit outside.

The clock tower up close. The weather was perfect when we were there.

The Duomo, looking across from the gallery. No climbing, otherwise you might fall off while taking a better shot!

Outside the gallery; art everywhere, even on the sidewalk. Two artists rendering the Madonna and Child in chalk.

Walking around after the tour. The Ponte Vecchio bridge and the Arno river in the afternoon light.

Is this a car or a toy? I think the play car I had as a kid was bigger than this!

Walking over to the hotel to check in. They moved the luggage for us already which was nice.

The room had really nice fresco's painted on the walls. The bed was ultra comfortable as well. Service was ok.

The view out our window.

Breakfast at the St. Regis. They have donuts on the breakfast buffet! The kids would have loved these!

Ognissanti church on the piazza. One last walk around.

Interior of the church. As with everything else in Florence, breathtakingly beautiful.

Our car has the B & O sound system. We came upon this sign while wandering the streets of Florence.

Next stop, Monte Carlo and more cars!

Last edited by EXPLAT; Sep 28, 2012 at 9:25 am
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Some great photographs... what kind of camera do you use?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Great report & pictures.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:40 am

Bravo! Molto bene!

Looks like you and your better half are having a fantastic trip together.
Of course, as Beemer man, this report is the best.

We sold the E61 M5 last year, and no touring F10 M this time However, they have released an M550D touring. Insane torque apparently.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cliburn
Some great photographs... what kind of camera do you use?
It's a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Some are taken with our Sony DSC-W690 pocket camera. FYI: None of the photos have been post processed.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Sep 28, 2012 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH738
Great report & pictures.
Thanks! It was a great time. I enjoyed looking at all of your hotel photos on your link. As an SPG Platinum as well, it was nice to see what upgrades you received.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Sep 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petrus
Bravo! Molto bene!

Looks like you and your better half are having a fantastic trip together.
Of course, as Beemer man, this report is the best.

We sold the E61 M5 last year, and no touring F10 M this time However, they have released an M550D touring. Insane torque apparently.
You must miss your M5. The M5 is a beast of a car! Sounds like it's time for the M550D!

Our car handled great, I loved driving on all of the twisties! Driving the Alps was awesome. It was an amazing trip.

Saw your handle as BA moderator. We took BA for the first time on this trip and the service was excellent in both CW on the way to the UK and in WT+ on the way back to the US. The flight attendant's accents made us feel like we had already arrived, as soon as we boarded! Great service. We'll fly BA again.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Great report. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Monte Carlo

Day 6 Lucca, Italy & Monaco

We stopped off in Lucca to get some cash out of the ATM. Looks like Opera season is starting up.

The church in the piazza, across from the ATM machine. Who would have thought! Our ATM machine at home is across from the Taco Bell.

The Madonna and child up close, on the corner of the church. (How do you rotate the photo? It looks correct on my computer.)

A local deli. Look at all of the Prosciutto hanging from the ceiling. Yum.

A local bakery, near the deli. Bread, cheese & meat. Grab a bottle of wine and you'd be set.

Need a lift? A ride home from school.

This place looked quaint and it was near the church, ATM, deli, bakery and the opera box office.
Maybe we'll try this place next time. Anyone stay here?

Monte Carlo pictures next ...

Last edited by EXPLAT; Sep 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am loong frward to the MC sections. I do like the city.

You are lucky your home has cheap fuel!

The UK is doing all it can to make nice cars very difficult to use. I drove my first diesel last year, although a Mercedes. They are much better engines than 10 years ago. Although I do love the look of your car, and the converitable as well.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Excellent report! Makes me miss Italia! I too wished I had spent longer in Tuscany when I was there. With the hope of not sounding like an ... it is FirenzE not firenza. Just a heads up!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
You must miss your M5. The M5 is a beast of a car! Sounds like it's time for the M550D!

Our car handled great, I loved driving on all of the twisties! Driving the Alps was awesome. It was an amazing trip.

Saw your handle as BA moderator. We took BA for the first time on this trip and the service was excellent in both CW on the way to the UK and in WT+ on the way back to the US. The flight attendant's accents made us feel like we had already arrived, as soon as we boarded! Great service. We'll fly BA again.
Glad to hear that, although as mods we are just volunteers and have no affiliation with the airlines. Well, except that we fly them too much and are blinded by loyalty. Just like BMW's I suppose
Actually, no. BMW are fantastic cars, fact.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Digital01
Excellent report! Makes me miss Italia! I too wished I had spent longer in Tuscany when I was there. With the hope of not sounding like an ... it is FirenzE not firenza. Just a heads up!
Thanks for the correction. I fixed it in the post. Tuscany was a place we could linger and stay for a long long time. Wife really wants to go back.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petrus
Glad to hear that, although as mods we are just volunteers and have no affiliation with the airlines. Well, except that we fly them too much and are blinded by loyalty. Just like BMW's I suppose
Actually, no. BMW are fantastic cars, fact.
Is it Petrus as in Chateau Petrus or Gordon Ramsay's Petrus Restaurant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.