The Five Star Way Home: HKG-DOH-IAD-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Great TR, thanks!

Is it very hot on the tarmac at DOH?
Yup, good thing the buses were parked right next to the staircases, and good thing these stairs, unlike the economy ones, have shades, so you won't melt under the hot arabian sun.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Thanks for sharing! It's always a letdown having to end a trip with a domestic flight, right? Even when I'm flying inbound on a US carrier from outside the US. Why didn't you deal with the mess at JFK and fly UA PS?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:49 pm

Very nice. I enjoyed the report.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Thanks for sharing! It's always a letdown having to end a trip with a domestic flight, right? Even when I'm flying inbound on a US carrier from outside the US. Why didn't you deal with the mess at JFK and fly UA PS?
no saver award availability in the afternoon
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion

Conclusion

This was certainly an epic journey, a round the world trip that began in mid-May and ended in late August. I was fortunate to sample five different airlines in one trip, three of which are Skytrax certified Five Star airlines. I was also able to travel to exotic destinations such as Doha, a city which I never dreamt of visiting in the near future(unless I suddenly wound up with a huge stash of cash).

Travelling in Business Class certainly elevated the journey into a unique experience. Focusing primarily on Qatar Airways, I was absolutely blown away by both its hard and soft product. Obviously, their seats were not necessarily brand new, but it was evident that much though had been given to achieve the right amount of space, privacy and comfort. The entire cabin was still immaculately well maintained, despite its launch dating back almost 4 years ago.

The Premium Terminal at Doha was definitely an exclusive oasis under the grueling heat of the Arabian sun. Again, the facility was in very good condition. The plethora of facilities afforded made it a pleasure to spend time, and certainly was worth the effort of rerouting through Doha. I would be even more impressed if they decide to build an even bigger one in the New Doha International Airport, instead of following the suits of traditional airline lounges within the terminal complex.

In terms of "software", the luxurious Ferragamo amenity kit and the very comfortable pair of pyjamas is definitely an industry leading offer. Why can't other carriers do the same? Haha, anyways I am definitely a suck up for freebies. The feast on board was also one of the highlights of the trip. Three full meals in a matter of 13 hours was surely a challenge, but Qatar Airways did not leave anything to chance. I was only able to sample a small selection from the extensive menu, which came in a nice leather folder.

And of course, who could forget, customer service. The staff were definitely not "Singapore Girls", or "Asiana Girls", or the overly polite ANA crew, but they were nonetheless enthusiastic. This to me is the most important criteria for a good service. The crew were all too happy to attend to passengers request, to observe the minor details and most important, to excel above and beyond. On both flights, the inflight supervisor were courteous and went the extra mile to personalize the service. The flight attendants, who offered to set up my bed or instinctively turn off the IFE screen when I was asleep, truly made my journey a first class alike experience.

They say nowadays that Emirates is the dominant figure in the aviation industry, amassing huge passenger volume by providing an affordable but good product. But I believe Qatar does not have to follow in the same suit. Although Emirates poses as an enormous threat in the leisure travelling market, I know Qatar will excel well in capturing traffic from the premium market in the future, and for good reason. If you were offered a brand new 787 flatbed seat, with a wide range of inflight entertainment and excellent privacy. If you were offered a personalized customer service in the air and potentially on the ground with the new Doha Airport in a first class like manner. Why wouldn't you fly Qatar Airways, the crown jewel of the small Middle Eastern state of Qatar?

Last edited by btang; Sep 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Great read - thanks for sharing.

I'll join the list of those wanting to give QR a spin someday...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Great read - thanks for sharing.

I'll join the list of those wanting to give QR a spin someday...
You should, totally worth the miles
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by btang
You should, totally worth the miles
Their paid-for fares from the UK to SE Asia are often quite keenly priced, too (although interesting to read another post recently lambasting their F service...)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Good to read a very positive report on QR. Thanks.

I have my 1st QR flights next year IAD-DOH-DPS in J. I gave a 7 hour connecting time at IAD just to make sure I don't get screwed by UA canceling/delaying flights from EWR. Very much looking forward to experiencing QR.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Great read.

I have 2 trips booked next year on QR using UA miles. Just like 3 years ago using CO miles for EK flights, QR should be epic
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: most of them
Nice report. IAD is certainly a pain at times!

I flew QR a couple of years ago JFK-DOH-BKK return. All legs were the 777s. I really loved it too, except for all of the busing at DOH. When does that new terminal finally open? They even had honey for my tea! Try getting that on UA even in international F. Their business class is certainly on par with a lot of F products out there. I'd love to fly them again some time, but from IAD on a paid ticket it is very expensive and going via JFK from Washington is a pain.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Nice report. IAD is certainly a pain at times!

I flew QR a couple of years ago JFK-DOH-BKK return. All legs were the 777s. I really loved it too, except for all of the busing at DOH. When does that new terminal finally open? They even had honey for my tea! Try getting that on UA even in international F. Their business class is certainly on par with a lot of F products out there. I'd love to fly them again some time, but from IAD on a paid ticket it is very expensive and going via JFK from Washington is a pain.
I agree with the fact that their soft product is really good. On another note, the opening of the NDIA is delayed until late 2013.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Great read.

I have 2 trips booked next year on QR using UA miles. Just like 3 years ago using CO miles for EK flights, QR should be epic
Haha nice! I only wish Qatar was a regular partner for United, I would fly with them in J every time lol

Last edited by btang; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Wonderful TR! We will be doing the maiden ORD-DOH QR992 flight comes April 10. I gotta say, we are more excited after reading your report! How's the amenity kit/PJs like?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyhen
Wonderful TR! We will be doing the maiden ORD-DOH QR992 flight comes April 10. I gotta say, we are more excited after reading your report! How's the amenity kit/PJs like?
Take a look at this question I asked in the Qatar forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-pyjamas.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.