Air France La Premiere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France La Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Excellent report thanks for posting!

Btw, only two entree selections in F on JFK-CDG is a little off-putting to me. Even though you can eat in the lounge, you'd think they'd have at least three.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:44 pm

Excellent TR!

Questions:
Was there an amenity kit and do you have pictures? (I see Lanvin but I thought they also had Clarins)

Was this a rev/award ticket?

THanks!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:30 pm

all looks really nice... especially the food... but those headphones are... hmm... weak
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:15 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Excellent report. Flying SIN-CDG-JFK in a few months and upgraded to La Premiere even on the cheap RGN ticket. Really looking forward to the 20+ hours now on the 380. I have almost 7 hrs connection in CDG. (I wanted the 380 CDG-JFK) Do they have sleeping rooms in the lounge at CDG?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Excellent trip report . Obviously the lounge experience far surpasses the in-flight experience. Pretty much sums up why AF is a doomed airline .
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Very nicely photographed and presented report. Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks Dag. I posted my most recent La Premiere experience earlier this year in the AF forum but without all the great pictures you took. I agree it is, for the most part, the best F experience in Europe. I fly BA F often and have done LH F many times, but I haven't tried Swiss in recent years.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A nice report! What opened my eyes was the limited selection on an F menu! Quite surprised, but then it makes sense with what the AF budget is.

Connecting flights terrible as always. Thank goodness the FA on the OSL-CDG asked about the transfer, you'd think it would be done automatically or by OSL station.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Great report, just loved it, and yes Air France is severely under reported on this board.

Your meal and drinks choices are exactly what I've chosen, especially the foie gras treats!

Merci
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Enjoyed the whole report and great to read about AF as I've not flown with them for an age. A pleasant change from the many reports on LH F!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:51 am
Dag
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments
Originally Posted by Carfield
But how do you like the amenity kit and pajama? Are they offered on the daytime flights too?
Carfield
I'm not that into amenity kits, but I guess they were ok. Kits and PJ's on flights in both directions, I'll put in pictures in the next post.

Originally Posted by hilltopper
The CDG lounge decor looks very impressive - looks also very empty?
As mentioned by others the inflight product is subpar is many respects. Even the breakfast tray with packaged items looks rather poor in terms of presentation.
Lounge was busy from 9:30 to 10:15, then almost empty.
The inflight product might look subpar, but compared to Lufthansa (which so many have flown and seem to like, it is slightly better)
The presentation was not the best, but I tend to care more for the taste.

Originally Posted by GreatDane
But a question: Was the wine selection really much better on the A380 than the B777 service? it seems far better - or did you abbreviate the report (perfectly understandable )? The B777 selection actually rather inferior and with suboptimal vintages.
Selection was the same, but the 380 menu contained all the La Premiere wines, not just the one for actual flight.

Originally Posted by geo1005
REALLY!?!? AF boards the economy cabin on the A380 through the First Class cabin? Wow!
Kind of wierd, and something AF should improve. Could be just this flight, or could be standard procedure.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Btw, only two entree selections in F on JFK-CDG is a little off-putting to me. Even though you can eat in the lounge, you'd think they'd have at least three.

Could have been 3, or a dine-in-the-lounge option. But it looked like the other 8 in the F cabin were more into sleeping than eating a full meal.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Questions:
Was there an amenity kit and do you have pictures? (I see Lanvin but I thought they also had Clarins)

Was this a rev/award ticket?
Yes, pictures will follow in the next post.
It was an award. Paying for F to NYC, I'd go with Swiss or Singapore, since Air France is probably the most expensive option out there.

Originally Posted by MileTex
I have almost 7 hrs connection in CDG. (I wanted the 380 CDG-JFK) Do they have sleeping rooms in the lounge at CDG?
Not separate rooms, but relaxing area and couches which I think they can make a bed on. Just ask the assistant.

Originally Posted by pansted00
Obviously the lounge experience far surpasses the in-flight experience. Pretty much sums up why AF is a doomed airline .
It is not that the inflight product is so bad, it is the ground experience that is so good, far better than Swiss / Thai and even Lufthansa.

Originally Posted by hugolover
Connecting flights terrible as always. Thank goodness the FA on the OSL-CDG asked about the transfer, you'd think it would be done automatically or by OSL station.
The pick up at 2G was arranged automaticly, but the FA offered to get the pilot to confirm it via ACARS on her own intiative. Very good service. I've not had Lufthansa or Thai do the same without asking.

Anyway, it's kind of funny to see how hostile people on this board are to Air France.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:27 am
Dag
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay, I've been gone for work for some weeks. Here are the pictures:

PJ. A380 to the right. Slightly different bag, and slightly different PJ. Liked the 380 better, since it was a little bit bigger.

A380 PJ, not the best pic

Got this kit when I requested a shower at JFK

Contents of the kit

The kit found in the washroom of the 380, grabbed a few since no one else did. Getting dusty already, lost in box.

Contents of the kit

A kit was handed out on the A380, but I only kept this bag that was inside it.

Contents of the kit
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Thanks for the nice report and lovely photos!

Originally Posted by Dag
Anyway, it's kind of funny to see how hostile people on this board are to Air France.
I agree. I tried Air France La Première earlier this week on Paris-Tokyo and found the whole first class experience better than many airlines frequently featured here (and I have tried about a dozen airlines in F). I don't think AF is a perfect airline but they don't deserve all the bashing.

The ground experience in CDG is truly wonderful, I'll rank it above LH FCT in FRA and probably above all other ground services I have tried (hard choice with the SQ Private Room in SIN which is pretty good too). The actual transfer works better than FCT and includes limo transfer also on arrival. The food in CDG beats FCT hands down, no competition. The drinks selection is obviously wider in the FCT but the drinks selection in CDG was still rather good and the staff knew what they serving and could give advice. The service was very elegant in CDG and I personally found it very attentive. My personal assistant was a lovely woman who made her outmost to make me feel comfortable.

I found the inflight experience to be excellent but obviously this depends on the crew. I fully enjoyed the food service and would rank the food pretty high compared to competitors. The drinks selection had a very French touch, as the food I guess. Lots of interesting liqueurs for example but for me who enjoys a whisky after a nice meal I would have prefered to see something else (JW Blue surely missing).

The seat is perfectly OK although not the most modern, they could have opted for something more modern when they launched the A380. I slept well in the seat and loved the very comfortable duvet offered as well as the pyjamas which wasn't too warm (which I have found a problem on some other airlines).

All-in-all I wouldn't hesitate a second to do it again.

Last edited by jacob_m; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dag
I WANT to like Air France and sometimes it's easy. Their trans-Atlantic J product is quite good in my opinion. But when this is your meal on a 1hr35 minute flight (VIE-CDG) and then the crew disappears for the rest of the flight you find yourself thinking "wow, had I been flying AA First on a similar length leg it would probably be better, more comfortable too". And don't get me started on the overcrowded CDG J lounges with no hot food

Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CMK10
But when this is your meal on a 1hr35 minute flight (VIE-CDG) and then the crew disappears for the rest of the flight you find yourself thinking "wow, had I been flying AA First on a similar length leg it would probably be better, more comfortable too". And don't get me started on the overcrowded CDG J lounges with no hot food
All Euro airlines are bad on Euro legs nowadays. And the CDG T2E S4 lounge now has hot food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.