Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Excellent TR ^
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Dude, this was awesome. Just finished reading the whole thing through.

You've done so many things right here that I feel spoiled to have been able to enjoy the fruits of your efforts for free - an awe-inspiring journey, wonderful mix of content, great photos and grounded, witty prose with a great pictures-to-text ratio... I could go on and on.

The praise you have received so far has been richly deserved - many, many thanks for a truly wonderful piece. Looking forward to the next one!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
Originally Posted by amolkold

Priority boarding for monks. Or maybe he has transcended even EK Gold.
Awesome Report amolkold, love the pictures and the writing.

This picture and caption to me was pure gold HAHA
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm now back to the less-than-stellar grind of domestic traveling ... sadly, my streak of consecutive First/Business class flights ended yesterday, as I barely missed upgrades on LGA-ATL-LAX. Although I did get LAX-JFK-DCA in Delta BusinessElite/First over the weekend ... would you believe me when I say that the quality of the midnight snack on DL's LAX-JFK red-eye in transcontinental J was better than the stuff UA decided to serve as lunch from LHR in international F??

Poor lighting with a camera phone, but still pretty good. Hey United, look at that salad and tiramisu ... learn from the guys down in Atlanta.

Compared to this:

Plus, the DL FAs were terrific, offering multiple Pre Departure Drinks (none of this "just 1 PDB" on UA with an hour of boarding time) and keeping glasses topped off throughout the night. It still doesn't hold a candle to the likes of SQ J, but sadly, they don't fly Los Angeles to New York (without stopovers in Singapore and Frankfurt ... although now I have an idea for a future trip ...).

---

Originally Posted by wainza1
Loving this TR. I really enjoy your writing style, looking forward to the rest of it
Thank you, wainza1. Hope you enjoyed the rest.

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
You are a GOOOOOOD man. ^

So many things you could have done to this guy while you were walking down the jetbridge. Would have loved to see his priceless face.
Thank you, oneeyejack. In retrospect, maybe if I had had my camera out ...

Originally Posted by tomy77
Excellent TR ^
Thank you, tomy77.

Originally Posted by Teefaf
Dude, this was awesome. Just finished reading the whole thing through.

You've done so many things right here that I feel spoiled to have been able to enjoy the fruits of your efforts for free - an awe-inspiring journey, wonderful mix of content, great photos and grounded, witty prose with a great pictures-to-text ratio... I could go on and on.

The praise you have received so far has been richly deserved - many, many thanks for a truly wonderful piece. Looking forward to the next one!
Thank you, Teefaf, for the very kind words.

Originally Posted by Omar84
Awesome Report amolkold, love the pictures and the writing.

This picture and caption to me was pure gold HAHA
Thank you, Omar84. I think reaching airline elite status can definitely instill a sense of nirvana .

Last edited by amolkold; Jun 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:09 pm
Suspended

After reading your trip report and a few of the other EK/BA reports, how can you ever go back to DL or UA........with a few of the American based airlines getting new planes, you'd think they would learn from the others...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
What a phenomenal trip report! Excellent photos, as well as writing. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! ^
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
As your LAX based sports radio persona would say: IN-credible trip report. RI-dicluous!

One of the best I've ever read. The LHR-LAX segment was hilarious... in a tragic comedic way. Reminded me of a recent FRA-ORD trip I had on UA where the FA literally told me that she did not think they had enough water for the rest of the flight if she were to give me some 3 hours after takeoff from FRA.

Cheers, and thanks for sharing! ^
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
After reading your trip report and a few of the other EK/BA reports, how can you ever go back to DL or UA........with a few of the American based airlines getting new planes, you'd think they would learn from the others...
I've had some good DL crews - a terrific LAX-JFK crew in J last year comes to mind. I also had a great AA crew on JFK-LAX in J earlier this year. Maybe it's my expectations, though. It's a lot more "hit-or-miss" with U.S.-based crews, especially with international routes.

Originally Posted by TexasTea
What a phenomenal trip report! Excellent photos, as well as writing. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! ^
Thank you, TexasTea.

Originally Posted by econometrics
As your LAX based sports radio persona would say: IN-credible trip report. RI-dicluous!
You mean Mr. FCO? "PHE-nomenal!"

One of the best I've ever read. The LHR-LAX segment was hilarious... in a tragic comedic way. Reminded me of a recent FRA-ORD trip I had on UA where the FA literally told me that she did not think they had enough water for the rest of the flight if she were to give me some 3 hours after takeoff from FRA.

Cheers, and thanks for sharing! ^
It was definitely a comedy of errors. I wish it had been earlier in my trip, just so that I could tell the story to my SQ/TG/EK flight attendants. I wouldn't be able to imagine the horror on their faces

Cheers, econometrics (even if you were one my lesser favorite classes in college ).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Excellent report--LX food looks great.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
You mean Mr. FCO? "PHE-nomenal!"
HA! Nicely disguised in aviation terminology! ^

Cheers, econometrics (even if you were one my lesser favorite classes in college ).
Yes, to each his own in the nerdy areas of life, lol!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Fantastic TR. Many thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:21 am

Over the course of a month, I had eaten waaaay too much. I needed to go on a diet. Good thing I was about to fly United.
Ha ha. I love the line above. Great Report.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:19 am

Wink

Already, a huge difference between the men (Lufthansa) and the boys (SWISS), at least when it comes to ground service. Lufthansa would come to get you, while SWISS makes you report to them.
*giggles* my sister used to live in Zurich...this is so Swiss!

1) "We need to build a new Hong Kong Airport."
2) "Well, I have the blueprints for a gargantuan shopping mall."
1) "Good enough!"
That's hilarious.

I've also never flown Emirates, but after seeing the adverts for their suites, I have been daydreaming about:
Welcome to Nouveau Riche Bling Airways, and by god, I love it.
“Well then, I have to show you a good time, so that you know that Emirates is better than Swiss and Singapore.”
Shortly after takeoff, I was told one of the most peculiar yet grandest things I’ve heard on a plane: “Sir, your shower is ready.” I grabbed my bag. And because I was planning a TR, my camera as well.
Great TR! And this is just classic:
I passed through immigration, full of "Death to Drug Smugglers" signs. While I don't partake, I found it funny that I was visiting Singapore on April 20.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:58 am

Wow, incredible TR amolkold! Thank you
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Wonderful trip report, the pictures were fantastic, but the quality of the writing and the humour contained within is what kept me reading. I think this is the first report of yours I've read, and I will certainly be looking up more.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with those of us who can only dream of this kind of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.