Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:25 am

Awesome TR, your humor, sarcasm and details made me read all the 9 pages (including the feedback from others). love how you stop to take a picture and then remember to report it back.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by corporateslave
Excellent report--LX food looks great.
Thank you, corporateslave ... indeed, LX's food was sublime, especially with their vast selection of great wines.

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Fantastic TR. Many thanks for sharing.
Thank you, ExpatSomchai.

Originally Posted by isaifan
Ha ha. I love the line above. Great Report.
Thanks, isaifan. Combine United's lack of good food plus the ability to walk the length of the plane without having to bother with curtains ... it's a good exercise regimen.

Originally Posted by thepixinator
*giggles* my sister used to live in Zurich...this is so Swiss!
<snip>
Great TR!
Thank you, thepixinator. I forgot to mention that at the front desk at the ZRH FCL, you can give a time to be woken up. Since the shuttle was at 10:05pm, I asked for 9pm, so that I could quickly shower, eat dinner, then hop on the van. I woke up before that, but I imagined I'd have a stern-sounding Swiss woman knocking at my door shouting, "VAKE UP YOU FLY TO HONG KONG ZOON."

Originally Posted by flood
Wow, incredible TR amolkold! Thank you
Thank you, flood!

Originally Posted by robofski
Wonderful trip report, the pictures were fantastic, but the quality of the writing and the humour contained within is what kept me reading. I think this is the first report of yours I've read, and I will certainly be looking up more.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with those of us who can only dream of this kind of travel.
Thank you, robofski. I'm rather new to the TR realm, and will definitely continue writing about my travels (at least, the travels that are worth writing about).

Originally Posted by garfield0
Awesome TR, your humor, sarcasm and details made me read all the 9 pages (including the feedback from others). love how you stop to take a picture and then remember to report it back.
Thank you, garfield0. A while back, I was a photojournalist in school, so I'm used to using pictures to tell stories. And it's a lot more fun when a picture has a story ^
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Wow, took me a while to finish that up but it was awesome (well, not United, but you said that already). I have off to hunt down you other trip reports.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 5:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, amolkold ^. Really enjoyed reading your TR!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:38 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
amolkold, a great TR. Well done, I enjoyed the read.

Originally Posted by amolkold
EK 384
BKK-HKG
Airbus A380-800 (A6-EDF)
Suite 2K, F

The champagne arrived, along with an offer of Arabic coffee and dates. Not just some dates … the entire box, since I'd be the only one partaking. The Brazilian flight attendant offering the two explained the customs behind the coffee, explaining everything from the Dallah (the coffee pot with the extended spout) to the funjal (the handle-less cups) to the subtle elevated shake of the cup to indicate when I'd have my fill. The things you learn about Arabic culture from a South American on a flight from Thailand to a Chinese SAR…
N.B. I believe it is Funjan and not funjal
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
Originally Posted by Zol
Same here !
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: CX, AY, LX, SQ, Shangri La Golden Circle
this was an amazing trip report and being a HK-native I have to agree with you the same day Airport Express return ticket is a steal
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qbrain
Wow, took me a while to finish that up but it was awesome (well, not United, but you said that already). I have off to hunt down you other trip reports.
Thank you qbrain. As of now, this is just my 2nd and latest trip report. My first one was a few months ago, and is in my signature -- LAN J to Peru (Lima/Machu Picchu) and Chile (Easter Island/Santiago) with Pics

Originally Posted by sfducati
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, amolkold ^. Really enjoyed reading your TR!
Originally Posted by aleksir
Same here !
Thanks sfducati and aleksir.

Originally Posted by Zol

N.B. I believe it is Funjan and not funjal
Thanks Zol. I'll trust you on the correction ... I can't find a proper spelling that yields the result I want on Google.

Originally Posted by icycoldice
this was an amazing trip report and being a HK-native I have to agree with you the same day Airport Express return ticket is a steal
Thank you, icycoldice. I am jealous of where you grew up. I yearn to return to HKG soon.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC
amolkold many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. For reasons lost in the midsts of time, Mrs movingimage and I share our flying hours with BA and so were both curious as to what life might be like up at the sharp end on other carriers. Your TR has really helped to open our eyes. Breath-taking in part, and hilarious in others; I could not believe that the service on United F was so unfocussed. Unlike your photos which were also excellent. Mrs movingimage particularly liked the reassurance that you were not naked when taking the ones in the shower! ^
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by movingimage
amolkold many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. For reasons lost in the midsts of time, Mrs movingimage and I share our flying hours with BA and so were both curious as to what life might be like up at the sharp end on other carriers. Your TR has really helped to open our eyes. Breath-taking in part, and hilarious in others;
Thank you, movingimage. I have yet to experience BA F and really would like to sometime in the future. Reading this subforum is like being in a candy store, because a few miles here and there and we can all experience each airline through some method.

I could not believe that the service on United F was so unfocussed. Unlike your photos which were also excellent.
Indeed, there is somewhat of a mistake fire sale of SQ awards going on right now (see: UA forum) and a lot of people are asking if they should give up UA F for SQ J. After my experience, that isn't even a question on my part!

Mrs movingimage particularly liked the reassurance that you were not naked when taking the ones in the shower! ^
Those pics are for FTafterdark j/k!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Wow, so now that I've finished up reading this TR, I seem to have noticed that its been around 3.5 hours since I began, and it is now 6 in the morning. With no sarcasm intended, I thank you amolkold for such a great read.

This is definitely some of the most intriguing reporting I have read. On that note, I was wondering if you could drop me a PM (to which I'll reply to after an appropriate amount of sleep) about how I can start-up travel writing at 15. There's obviously limitations considering school, etc. But I feel like I actually have a love for writing about my occasional experiences around the world. To be perfectly honest, I'm more in love with the actual act of getting to a place, rather than being there.

Cheers,
Zoui21
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zoui21
Wow, so now that I've finished up reading this TR, I seem to have noticed that its been around 3.5 hours since I began, and it is now 6 in the morning. With no sarcasm intended, I thank you amolkold for such a great read.

This is definitely some of the most intriguing reporting I have read. On that note, I was wondering if you could drop me a PM (to which I'll reply to after an appropriate amount of sleep) about how I can start-up travel writing at 15. There's obviously limitations considering school, etc. But I feel like I actually have a love for writing about my occasional experiences around the world. To be perfectly honest, I'm more in love with the actual act of getting to a place, rather than being there.

Cheers,
Zoui21
Thank you, Zoui21. I don't know why I didn't respond to your post earlier, but I'm glad I did -- your TR was great!

In regards to the bolded part (my bold), I'm reminded of this quotation:

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:39 am

"Hey Lucky, I think I have a competitor for your favorite SQ FA."

Zing! love it!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T3pleShot
"Hey Lucky, I think I have a competitor for your favorite SQ FA."

Zing! love it!
Hehe, all in good fun

----

So I've gotten about 10 PMs in the past couple months asking how I got access to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal since I didn't fly Lufthansa First on this trip. I thought I'd write an addendum here to help answer that:

FCT access rules say you must have a same-day Lufthansa or SWISS First Class ticket.
(A) If you are flying Lufthansa First out of Frankfurt, you're good.
(B) If you are flying Lufthansa to another LH hub (like Munich) and flying Lufthansa First out of there, you're good (as long as it's same day).
(C) If you are flying Lufthansa or SWISS to Zurich and flying SWISS First from there, you're good (as long as it's same day).
(D) If you are inbound on Lufthansa First to Frankfurt and then connecting to a Lufthansa Business flight from there (like to somewhere in Europe without First), you should have access.

The same can be said the other way around. If you are flying ZRH-FRA on LH/LX then FRA-SIN on LH F, you will get LX FCL access at ZRH.

If you do not have a Lufthansa or SWISS First ticket at all that day, you do not get access. If you are flying United First to Frankfurt, then connecting to Lufthansa Business and ending your trip, you do not have access since you do not have a Lufthansa/SWISS First segment on that day.

I accessed the FCT via (C) -- I took the 4:35pm LH flight from FRA to ZRH, then the ZRH-HKG flight on LX in F later that night.

Last edited by amolkold; Oct 14, 2012 at 3:17 am
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:21 pm

I love your trip reports.

If you can, I'd certainly enjoy an overview of how you utilized mileage to book these routings. Namely, what programs, awards, and how many miles. This is great information for anyone trying to replicate a similar trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.