Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germans in the US: Austrian (C) to Washington, New York and a special Museum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, A6 M&B Gold, CX MP Silver, EK SW Silver
Almdudler!

I always love reading a good review of my home airline. Thanks for the great report!

Once Austrian updates their hard product, I think they will be very competitively positioned.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
The food looks delicious! Great photos!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Allow me to add my thanks for the pics, well done. Meals served sound great but I'm having difficulty imagining Tafelspitz served in flight - maybe it's something you have to see to believe. Thanks for the report.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Germans in the US: Austrian (C) to Washington, New York and a special Museum

Wow the German American Museum looks awesome. Does it have a section that deals with WWII and the Holocaust?
Old May 1, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
This report was a joy to look at, and, it included the added bonus of menu transcripts. Photo reports simply don't come any finer. Well done, ARJ85! ^^
Old May 1, 2012, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Excellent report with wonderful pictures. I'm definitely going to hit the Korean War Memorial next time I'm in D.C., thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Very nice trip report! You didn't mention food in NY but one option with an Austrian angle would be the restaurants of chef Kurt Gutenbrunner.

Wallse - 1 Michelin Star is consistently excellent - one of my favorites in NY.

He also has Blaue Gans (casual), Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie, Cafe Kristall inside Swarovski store in Soho.

Interestingly, in past years, Kurt was the executive chef/culinary consultant for Austrian Air's TATL service.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
Thanks everybody for all your compliments!

Originally Posted by gohima
Sure beats crossing the pond in C on a US carrier by looking at that food!
Not only US carriers - the food also beats every other carrier i know.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I lived in Vienna for 2 years in the 1950s and went on holiday in the 1960s every year and I never knew about this lemonade.

I always drink Apfel Saft. Will certainly check it out if I go back.

I have still to visit the High Line Park and World Trade area. I live in NYC and have not even been. Embarassing.

OS have the best food. Thanks.
Well it says since 1957 on the can...
And don`t worry - i live near Munich since 30 years and have never been to the Hofbräuhaus...

Originally Posted by soccerfanz10
Allow me to add my thanks for the pics, well done. Meals served sound great but I'm having difficulty imagining Tafelspitz served in flight - maybe it's something you have to see to believe. Thanks for the report.
There is a thread in the German Vielfliegertreff-Forum about the same flight - with a picture of the Tafelspitz if you are interested:

http://www.vielfliegertreff.de/swiss...-4-2012-a.html

Whats funny i was on exactly the same flight - you can even spot my shoulder on one of the pictures.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Wow the German American Museum looks awesome. Does it have a section that deals with WWII and the Holocaust?
As the focus of the museum is on immigration and the life of those immigrants and their descendants in the states - most exhibits are in that context. Of course there are also references to WWII or the Nazi-Regime - for example German born Albert Einstein left his home country in 1933 because of the rise to power of the Nazis.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
GREAT pictures in a very excellent report! ^
Old May 3, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by ARJ85
The same night i also visited the Times Square - where a huge crowd was following that guy (the one with the sunglasses) and trying to snatch a picture. Has anyone an idea who that is?
At first I thought it was Robert Pattison but now I'm not sure.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:19 pm

Wow. That food on the Austrian flight looks about the best Business class offerings I have ever seen. That looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Your pictures are simply amazing! What camera were you using and how much did you enhance the photos?
Old May 6, 2012, 9:15 am

Schöner Bericht und sehr gute Fotografien!
Old May 7, 2012, 10:44 pm

You are an excellent photographer and I really enjoyed your report! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
Camera

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Your pictures are simply amazing! What camera were you using and how much did you enhance the photos?
Thanks for your kind words.

Usually i have a DSLR with all the Equipment (Lenses, Flash, Filters...) with me on my trips.

But this time i decided to travel light and only take a smaller Camera, that even fits into my pocket with me - this one to be precise:

(The picture is from a trip i took a few weeks ago to Montreal)

Its a Fuji X100 - i really love it!!!

About enhancing the pictures: Its very different how much work i did on the Computer with the pictures. For example most of the pictures onboard the Planes, as well as most of those taken in daylight didn`t require much work. Mostly just a little cropping and maybe a few adjustmends (constrast, colours where necessary) The Pictures at night (especially those taken on top of the empire state building) are a whole different story. For most of them i took not only one picture but exposure series with 3 to 5 different exposure times and later combined them at the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.