Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Germans in the US: Austrian (C) to Washington, New York and a special Museum

Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;

Hello again - welcome to my report about my latest trip. This time for a few days of Sightseeing (and visiting a new Museum - more about that later) to Washington D.C. and New York.

When flying from Munich to Washington you have quite a few options. There are of course the nonstop-flights by Lufthansa and United - as well as many choices when going via Zurich, Frankfurt, Brussels or London. I took none of those but flew via Vienna instead (which is actually a little detour because you fly in the wrong direction first) But there are two advantages of using Austrian Airlines on this route:
The first is that the OS flight from Vienna is actually among the earliest Star Alliance Flights to arrive in Washington. And the second is that for dayflights Austrian Airlines is really my favourite Airline in Business Class.

So after Breakfast in the Business Class Lounge in Munich

I first had to fly to Vienna. The flight was on a Lufthansa Embraer 190. I really like this aircraft. The seats are in a similiar 2-2 layout like on a CRJ - but due to the bigger cabin its not nearly as cramped. You have even more space in Business Class where the seat beside you stays empty. Of course the legroom is nothing special as its the same as in Economy Class - but for such a short flight i don`t really care. Even if its just a short flight from Munich to Vienna there is of course a breakfast served.

Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

VIE-IAD with Austrian Airlines Business Class

Now lets continue with my flight to Washington. The security screening for all Flights in Vienna is right at the Gate - which is ok for short regional flights - but for longhaul flights with lots of passengers the boarding area gets really crowded. But as far as i know this will change with the new expansion to the terminal scheduled to open this year.

Austrian uses a Boeing 767-300 for the flight to Washington. Business class is in a 2-2-2 layout. As much as i like that airline - the downside is the seat. It doesn`t go flat and i really can`t sleep in that seat. But as this was a dayflight that was no problem.

There were of course pre-departure drinks (Water/Juice/some cocktail) served.

The meal service by the very attentive crew started soon after takeoff.

First we were served a (lets say interesting) drink - cucumber juice

it tasted exactly like it sounds ;-)

Followed by the antipasti buffet. On this flight you don`t get only two or three choices on pre-prepared plates like with most airlines. Instead the whole range of different antipasti is arranged on the trolley and in a buffet style you can choose whatever you want. On offer for this flight were:

marinated prawns / fennel kimchi
spanish serrano ham / manchego
mozzarella / tomatoes / basil pesto
smoked salmon / avocado mango salad
stuffed ham rolls / horse radish cream
vegetarion springrolls / sweet sour chili sauce

The next course was soup - a creamy lobster soup with cheese sticks

As all other courses this was of course served on individual plates - no traytables in Business Class.

As main were three different choices available:

Viennese „Tafelspitz“
boiled fillet of beef / creamy spinach / roesti potatoes / apple horse radish / chive cream

chicken Kiev
pommes allumettes / green beans / crispy bacon

grilled salmon / prawn
green asparagus / truffled potato mousseline

The main course was followed by a selection of assorted cheese & exotic fruit.

Again this were no pre-arranged plates. The whole range of cheese was presented on the trolley and the crew prepared your individual plates with whatever you wanted.

After the cheese there were of course different desserts available

traditional milk & curd strudel
with warm vanilla sauce

marinated raspberries
with vanilla creme fraiche

dark chocolate parfait

Actually i didn`t have any of the desserts as i was really full.

Of course you also get coffee with your dessert - but not simply a plain coffee or maybe an espresso. There is a separate coffee menu available with all the choices you would expect in a Viennese Coffeehouse

Kleiner oder großer Brauner
(small or large black coffee with fresh coffee cream)

Kleiner oder großer Schwarzer
(small or large black coffee)

Wiener Melange
(hot milk, foamed milk and black coffee)

Einspänner
(black coffee with whipped cream and powdered sugar)

Fiaker
(black coffee with cognac and whipped cream)

Franziskaner
(black coffee with foamed milk, whipped cream and cocoa powder)

Kaffee verkehrt
(Black coffee with hot milk and foamed milk)

Maria Theresia
(black coffee with orange liqueur)

Kaffee Baileys
(black coffee with Baileys, whipped cream and cocoa powder)

Wiener Eiskaffee
(double espresso with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream)

Unfortunately i didn`t take a picture from my Einspänner - it was really delicous and i finished it bevore realising i would need it for my tripreport. But i took the picture of something else that you only get on Austrian Airlines Flights: Almdudler

For those of you not familiar with it - thats a lemonade from Austria - one of the little things i was always looking forward to as a small kid when going on vacation to Austria.

As the seat is really a little out of date the IFE is also not the newest. There are of course individual screens in the armrests - but as nothing from the limited available choices really interested me i only used the screen as an iPad holder (which works really good)

As usual on a transatlantic flight there is of course a second service short bevore the landing.

There were two hot choices available.

minced beef & lamb kofta
oriental lentil salad / pumpkin onion chitney / mint yogurt

goat cheese / grilled vegetables
thyme olive oil

followed by a panna cotta as dessert.

The great thing about the timing of this flight is not only that it arrives early enough in Washington so you can still do a little sightseeing on the day of arrival. It also seems it is the only flight arriving at that time - so there was no line at immigration!

Once again this was a very enjoyable flight with Austrian Airlines - with everything you could want on a dayflight: great service, a comfortable seat to sit, relax and work and really great food. Now if they would finally get new seats that also allow you to sleep well...

Last edited by ARJ85; Apr 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Washington D.C.

Now let me take you on a walk around Washington D.C.

My hotel was just a short distance from the Capitol - so after an afternoon i spent with a friend visiting his newest project and a nice lunch i walked there to take some pictures.

The next day i spent at the National Mall, visiting some of the sights and Museums there. Again starting at the east end with the Capitol

Across the street from the Capitol is the Library of Congress ...

...which is not only intersting to visit - but also is connected to the capitol via a tunnel - which allowed me to pass the lines waiting for entrance to the Capitol. Inside the Capitol there is a short guided tour available which among other rooms lets you visit the inside of the Rotunda.

Along the Mall there are lots of Museums you can visit. I went to the National Air and Space Museum (what a coincidence on a frequent flyer forum) For everyone interested in Aviation it is a must see when you are in Washington. They have lots original Aircraft on display (and some replicas)

And not only aircraft - there is also very much about space travel to see - different rockets, a life-size replica of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, and even a real Apollo Moon Lander

To the west of the Museum - between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial is a 555 ft high Obelisk - the Washington Monument

Another President with his own Memorial is Thomas Jefferson. The Jefferson Memorial is just a short walk to the south from the Washington Monument.

But not only presidents are remembered on the Mall - there are also a few War Memorials.

The first i visited was the Korean War Memorial

A few steps west from there is another famous sight - the Lincoln Memorial

with a huge statue of Abraham Lincoln inside

the walls of the Memorial are inscribed with some famous speeches like the Gettysburg Adress

A short walk from the Lincoln Memorial you find the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

144 Panels of polished gabbro walls inscribed with the names of 58.191 Soldiers killed (or missing) in the Vietnam War

And accross from the potomac river, right beside the Arlington Cemetary you can find the Marine Corps Memorial

also known as Iwo Jima Memorial as it was based on the photo of the flagraising on Mount Suribachi during the battle of Iwo Jima.

Thats of course just a few of the sights you can see in Washington. There is much more to see, like the Memorials dedicated to Martin Luther King jr. or Franklin D. Roosevelt. And lots of additional Museums.

Last edited by ARJ85; Apr 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Spectacular pictures! Thank you so much for sharing!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:06 am
Original Poster

German American Heritage Museum

Everybody knows the huge and popular Museums in Washington, like the Air and Space Museum i mentioned earlier, or all the other ones on both sides of the mall.

But there are also lots of smaller not so well known Museums ins Washington.

One of these is the German American Heritage Museum of the USA - which opend in 2010. (The main reason i took that trip. The Executive Director gave me a private Tour through the Museum - and as a thank you here comes a little promotion for the museum)

The history of the United States is a history of immigration. But did you know, that the single largest group of immigrants are actually from Germany? More than 50 millions americans have german ancestors - thats 17% of the population of the United States.

The Museum shows the history of immigration from German speaking countries through various Exhibits - among them are:

The Stairs
Upon entering the GAHM, visitors first notice the staircase with photos of famous German-Americans at the base of every other step. Along the wall leading up to the exhibits are panels with a short biography of some of the most prominent figures who contributed to American culture, and who also happened to be German-Americans.

Timeline: German Immigration to the U.S.
Since the arrival of the first Germans to Jamestown in 1607, German-Americans have distinguished themselves through their cultural, economic, scientific, and political contributions to America. The timeline tells the story of how America’s German ancestry shaped America.

German Music in the U.S.
This exhibition takes a look at the role German immigrants played in developing the American musical culture and the rich tradition of German choruses and “Lieder” that are still a part of American culture.

America & Germany: The Shaping of Images in Poetry and Prose
This small “books in motion” exhibition illustrates how captivating stories about America and German bestsellers in the U.S. have shaped perceptions of both countries.

German Families and Clubs
The exhibition on German families and clubs offers visitors the unique opportunity to learn about German club life and history in the U.S. and read personal accounts from German immigrants.

another area is reserved for temporary exhibits
right now showing how german-americans helped shape the america from 1789 to the present

The museum is just a short walk from the Mall - 719 Sixth Street NW, Washington, DC 20001. The admission is of course free.

Last edited by ARJ85; Jun 26, 2012 at 4:14 am
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

DCA-LGA with US Airways in First

On my way home i made a stopover in New York. Of all the different choices of Airlines and Airports for this route i decided for US-Airways flying between DCA (Washington Reagan Airport) and LGA (New York LaGuardia)

All the intercontinental flights from Europe land at Washington Dulles (IAD) which is quite a distance from the city. DCA as much easier to reach - its just on the other side of the Potomac - a short subway ride from the City.

The other great thing about DCA is the view you have from the Plane when departing to the the north.

(and if anyone missed the White House among my pictures from Washington - here it is on the left side)

Its only a short flight to New York - so even in First Class there is not much service. You get something to drink.

And something from the snack basket

I should have changed my seat during the flight. During departure sitting on the right side of the Aircraft was perfect as i had a great view over Washington D.C. For landing at LaGuardia i saw Brooklyn and Queens - if had hab been sitting on the left side there would have been a perfect view at the Skyscrapers of Manhattan...

Last edited by ARJ85; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

New York City

I stayed only one night in New York - here are a few pictures i took during my time there.

The easiest way to get from LaGuardia Airport into Manhattan is by Taxi.

I have been to New York a few times the last years - one place i never visited was Roosevelt Island. The Island is in the East River, and you have a nice view towards Manhattan from there.

As the weather was really great and i wanted to stay outside my next stop was the Central Park...

...as well as the highline Park...

...bevore i continued to the Empire State Building to take some pictures.
Usually when visiting the Empire State Building you have four lines in which you have to wait: The first one bevore the security check, then the line to buy tickets, of course a huge line in front of the elevator - and then another line for the next elevator because the first only takes you to the 80th floor, and there is another one for the remaining six floors. I managed to skip two of the lines, as i had already bought and printed my ticket online - and i also took the stairs for the last six floors. Here are some pictures i took from the Observation Deck.

The view to the north...

...and to the northwest - with my favourite Skyscraper, the Chrysler Building, right in the center.

The view was great - but i was a little dissapointed, that i wasn`t allowed to take my tripod with me (even if it was only a little gorillapod). So especially for the pictures with a longer exposure time i had to improvise with some coins put under my camera to aim it in the right direction and the right angle.

Again looking to the north (the really bright spot to the left is Times Square)

The observation deck is of course open into all directions - but i won`t bore you with pictures towards Queens or New Jersey - but here is one towards Lower Manhattan with the Freedom Tower still in Construction (but already the highest building in New York)

The same night i also visited the Times Square - where a huge crowd was following that guy (the one with the sunglasses) and trying to snatch a picture. Has anyone an idea who that is?

The next day i visited the new 9/11 memorial. At the footprints of the Twin Towers are two pools with waterfalls cascading down their sides. Both pools are surrounded by bronze plates inscribed with the names of the victims of the September 11 attacks in New York, Arlington and Pennsylvania, as well as the victims of the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing.

Last edited by ARJ85; May 1, 2012 at 7:34 am
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

JFK-FRA Lufthansa Business Class

For the return Flight i took Lufthansa nonstop to Frankfurt. During the summer schedule they use the A380 on this route - in the Winter the 747-400 - so i still have to wait for my first A380 experience.

Soon after takeoff the first round of drinks was served.

Followed by the meal service.

Three different starters were available:

Tuna Carpaccio
with Sarachi Aioli

Chicken Edamame Salad
with Plum Chutney

Watercress, Ricotta Cheese and Apricot Puree

The starters were served together with the Cheese Selection (Camembert, Manchego and Gorgonzola) together on one tray.

There were of course three different main courses available.

Chicken Cassoulet
with Mushroom and Mustard Sauce

Miso glazed Cod,
Soba Noodles and Long Beans with Ginger Soy Dressing

Semolina Potato Gnocchi
with Tomato Cream Sauce and fresh Vegetables

followed by a New York cheesecake with Raspberry Compote as Dessert.

But as i went to sleep right after the starter i don`t have any pictures of these. Actually i don`t think i ever had a longhaul flight i remember so little about - i went to sleep an hour after take off and woke up half an hour bevore landing in Frankfurt. So not much comments on Service / Food / Inflight Entertainment - i got the one thing i was looking for - enough sleep to arrive rested at home - and that worked.

So thank you for reading this report - i hope you enjoyed it - if you have any questions just ask.

And if you are interested in any of my other Tripreports, here you go:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...c-yul-zrh.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...abu-dhabi.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rst-japan.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...2-muc-szg.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-business.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ul-flyers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...australia.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-first-tr.html
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Thanks for the amazing photos of Washington and New York City! I really enjoyed your photos!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:55 pm
formerly gohima

Sure beats crossing the pond in C on a US carrier by looking at that food!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
1A pictures! compliments and thank you!!!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Amazing photos, a lot better then mine
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Beautiful pictures as always!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:54 am

I lived in Vienna for 2 years in the 1950s and went on holiday in the 1960s every year and I never knew about this lemonade.

I always drink Apfel Saft. Will certainly check it out if I go back.

I have still to visit the High Line Park and World Trade area. I live in NYC and have not even been. Embarassing.

OS have the best food. Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Amazing Pics!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.