Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Meow Mix
Talking Business Class on EK413 AKL to SYD on A380

EK413
AKL to SYD
Emirates Business Class
On Airbus A380 – 800 (registration A6-EDD)

Foreword

This is my second trip report regarding my first Business Class flight with Emirates on board their flagship aircraft the Emirates Airbus A380-800.

The flight I will be on is EK 413 from AKL to SYD. The length of the flight was advertised as 3 hours and 25 minutes but it only took 2 hours and 30 minutes of actual flying.

As with every trip report, I will try be as descriptive and concise as possible but bear with me if I do digress at any part.

As usual, you, the readers and your opinions / comments / suggestions are very important so if you have a spare time, do let me know by contacting me on FlyerTalk or my blog TravelAngelo. Details of which can be found at the end of this trip report.

I sincerely do hope you enjoy regarding this trip report.

/AE
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Table of Contents

AIRLINE
FARE
CHECK-IN
LOUNGE
ACCESS
AMBIENCE / AREA
FOOD
DRINKS
STAFF
BOARDING
IN-FLIGHT SERVICE
SEAT
MENU
THE REST OF THE FLIGHT
LANDING

Last edited by angeloedades; Aug 17, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Airline

The reason for choosing Emirates on top of other airlines was because of their ridiculously cheap fare from AKL to SYD.

I have flown, 3 days prior, on Virgin Australia’s DJ 54 service from SYD to AKL and I though “why not see how the premium cabin service is with Emirates”.

I have also read a lot of positive comments (and also some of the bad ones) in various forums especially FlyerTalk regarding their Business Class service.

Fare

The fare I got was just over $400 AUD or around $556 NZD. I believe (at that time) that this was the probably cheapest Business Class fare for an International short-haul hop.

One thing I did find is that if you buy a return from SYD to AKL in Business Class then the price is anywhere from $1200 AUD to $1600 AUD or $1550 NZD to $2055 NZD.

It might be because that you need to be on the same fare buckets for each of the sector (assuming that the AKL to SYD fare is on a lower fare bucket).
Just as a comparison and curiosity I did think about booking into First Class but would rather save it for another time. The price for First Class from AKL to SYD is $900 AUD or $1150 NZD. This I believe is still good value.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Check-in

As with any premium cabin bookings with Business Class you get a priority check in lane.

In this particular instance, I have found the check in process to be very good, efficient and quick. The check in supervisor then explained to me that I needed to be pre-cleared to be able to use the Express Immigration / Quarantine section of security.

Conveniently enough the pre-clearance desk was right beside the First Class and Business Class check in. There were absolutely no queues for the pre-clearance desk despite having only one officer working on it.

For people travelling for the first time like I did the fast track security lane was to the left of the security clearance section. You will have to go through the “ALL PASSPORTS” lane to get to it.

I have not forgotten to mention about OLCI or On-Line Check In. This option was available for my flight and is a great way to secure a seat (even if you a bit paranoid like me regarding the reservation before OLCI were open).

This is where Emirates plunges onto the ground is that on their online websites, they advertised that OLCI is open 24 hours before. This is most definitely false advertising in the case of my flight. Screenshots below show how many times I have tried check in at various times for my flight.

I have started a threat due to my frustration and thankfully some experienced FlyerTalk members said it usually opens 10 hours before departure time or usually on the same day of the flight itself.

For reference the link is below for the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...k413-down.html

It did open eventually at around 10 hours nearer to my departure time.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Lounge
Access

As with every Business Class ticket, you are invited to use the Emirates Lounge. The invitation is printed on your Boarding Pass.

Upon arrival on the Emirates Lounge you must present the boarding pass to the Lounge Dragons who will welcome you in.

Ambience / Area

The Emirates Lounge in Auckland does not have a view out on to the apron (if you are an aircraft geek like me it is a must).

The size of the lounge was medium, not too small but certainly not large which distinct separate sections for setting comfortably to having your dinner and a separate shower area.

Above is a picture of the Emirates Lounge from where I was sitting showing the dinning / eating area.

Food

The food selection in the Emirates Lounge is enough and of good quality. It definitely beats the ServisAir lounges if you have ever been to one. By this time, I was very hungry having just climbed a hill in Devonport prior to arriving at the airport. Below are some of the bountiful pictures of plates of food that I have had. (Please note that this is only a small cross section that I have had).

A very nice full potato-sized potato croquette and a very nice vegetarian pasty.

A very nice and milk lemon merengue cake.

The poor cheese selection of which my partner made me believe the black protective layer was made of chocolate!

The prawn plate with salad and Thousand Island dressing.

The chicken mild curry which was delectable along with braised beef and very crunchy but still cooked snow peas.

Drinks

Much to my surprise, I thought they would only be serving the normal white and red wines and a very horrible champagne called Moet. I was very wrong. Over in the drinks counter, I did notice a very familiar yellow bottle and it was in fact my favourite champagne – NV Veuve Clicquot.

Needless to say, I have had many glasses (approximately 7 glasses of Champagne over 2 hours and 30 minutes (yes I was very drunk)).

Apart from the wine and champagne, they had Coke / Pepsi and their diet derivatives and also a few beers and spirits. Overall there was a good selection to cater for complete alcoholics or alcohol-abstinent passengers.

Staff

The Lounge Dragons were great. The two ladies who greeted us were very enthusiastic and I think welcoming the guest by their last name certainly makes the welcome script a bit more human.

The waiters / cleaners were definitely on the ball when it comes to dirty or empty plates. The longest empty plate I had on my table was around 2 minutes! (Not that I was counting specifically). Overall it was a good and pleasant experience so far.

Boarding

The Emirates lounge was conveniently located in the middle of the airport.

To board my flight at gate 16 I had to walk for around 15 / 20 minutes which we were advised of during our entry into the lounge.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

In-Flight Service

Upon boarding the plane on the 2 second left door of the Airbus A380 I was greeted by the Cabin Services Directory (CSD) and welcomed on board by last name which was a nice touch.

I proceeded to my seat which was on the smaller Business Class section towards the bar. This seat was a windows seat at 23 K.

Seat

There was a pillow, blanket, noise cancelling head phones and also some flight socks and eye mask lay out on the seat.

I was very grateful that on the upper deck there are storage options to the side of the cabin for the window seat as it was very handy to just dump all of the things into those storage bins.

A member of the crew immediately offered me a glass of Champagne as a pre-take off drink.

View from the window of Seat 23 K.

Obligatory leg-room shot. I am a very short person so there was plenty of leg room.

Menu

Now we come to my favourite section of every trip report. Before I go any further I will showcase the menu below.

Please note that the menu below is only for the AKL to SYD sector. The plane does continue into DXB. I will post the menu of that as miscellaneous reference at the end of this trip report.

Business Class Menu - EK413 AKL to SYD

DINNER
Appetiser

Medley of seafood with olive oil lemon infusion
Cajun grilled salmon, prawns and scallops served with a fresh olive oil and lemon dressing

Main Course

Beef tenderloin salad
Mixed leaves salad topped with feta cheese, beetroot and fresh mushroom slices of tenderloin, served with olive oil and balsamic dressing.

Roast chicken with tomatoes and sweet pepper
Tender breast served with potato pancake and roasted onion, pumpkin and asparagus

Spinach and ricotta cannelloni in tomato sauce
Served with pecorino cheese, grilled courgette, eggplant and red pepper

Bread
From the bakery
A variety of freshly baked rolls and garlic bread

Dessert, Cheese and Fruit
Coconut cream caramel
Served with a caramel sauce and mascarpone rosette

Mango panna cotta
Accompanied with fresh fruit, served with strawberry sauce

Cheese selection

Fresh seasonal fruit

Beverages
Tea
Ceylon, China, Earl Grey, Camomile

Coffee
Freshly brewed, decaffeinated, espresso and cappuccino

Chocolates
Before we even started taxiing, most of the cabin crew were taking orders for our meals. I have opted for the Beef Tenderloin and the Mango panna cotta for dessert.

They also took my drink order for dinner which I opted for Kir Royale.

The beef tenderloin was acceptable for my liking. Everything on my train was cold which would help with the speed of the service but I just wished the Beef was warm.

The Mango panna cotta:

The Kir Royale with warm nuts.

The way the Business Class cabin was served was very chaotic indeed. For such a short flight, the Cabin Crew were frantically going back and forth between the back galleys towards the front of the Business Class cabin.

One thing that let the service down was one cabin crew’s memory. The person funnily wrote down my order on the sheet. I was there waiting patiently with my table setup and he noticed my eventually and asked if “I was waiting for anything more”. He then remembered about my panna cotta and it was with me a few seconds afterwards.

Above is the Roast chicken with tomatoes and sweet pepper. My friend commented that the chicken was bland and tasteless.

The rest of the flight

The tables were cleared and there was enough time to browse to the Economy section which was absolutely manic towards the front.

Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Landing

Just before Landing, as a Business Class passenger you are given an Expert Path card to wiz through quarantine and immigration. This is particularly helpful during the early mornings and evening arrivals.

There was an amazing crosswind across Sydney Airport during my landing which resulted in a spectacular and very scary landing.

I will upload the video on YouTube and edit this post once the link is live and working.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report angeloedades, looks like you beat me to it!

Did you like the AKL lounge? It looks like you took full advantage of the fantastic food and drink on offer. VC is my favourite NV Champagne too (I prefer Dom 2002 though!).

Interesting to see photos of the Business Class food, it is presented very differently to First Class and your menu is different, although the starter is the same.

One thing, I would strongly recommend that you blur out your EK frequent flyer number and your e-ticket on your boarding pass.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:25 am

Haha chocolate coated cheese, would have made a good practical joke by your friend.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:47 am

Looks great!

Are there any regular promotional fares on this particular route?

Any website I should watch not to miss anything?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by matthandy

Did you like the AKL lounge? It looks like you took full advantage of the fantastic food and drink on offer. VC is my favourite NV Champagne too (I prefer Dom 2002 though!).

Interesting to see photos of the Business Class food, it is presented very differently to First Class and your menu is different, although the starter is the same.

One thing, I would strongly recommend that you blur out your EK frequent flyer number and your e-ticket on your boarding pass.
I agree. Its not a good idea to post your personal info on the internet. Especially your skywards number/name!!!. I remember that ung1 had his skywards acount hacked and lost his status for a while (though i am not sure whether posting pics was the reason!!)

try to blur out your name /skywards number on the photograph mate!!!

Good report by the way. You have taken a lot of effort and it is appreciated!!!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I agree. Its not a good idea to post your personal info on the internet. Especially your skywards number/name!!!. I remember that ung1 had his skywards acount hacked and lost his status for a while (though i am not sure whether posting pics was the reason!!)

try to blur out your name /skywards number on the photograph mate!!!

Good report by the way. You have taken a lot of effort and it is appreciated!!!
Haha, that didn't actually happen, and I certainly didn't post a picture of anything on here.

angelodades, don't worry too much. I've already tried hacking your Skywards account and can't do it without the PNR In all seriousness though, all it would take is a call to EK with the passenger name and e-ticket number to make whatever changes I wanted to your ticket... so follow advice above.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
that sounds like a wonderful trip... gotta start upping my upgrade %
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy

Hi matthandy

Have blurred it out now! well actually did some handy photoshopping hehe

Thanks!

/AE
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Haha chocolate coated cheese, would have made a good practical joke by your friend.
Hi Firemansam,

Yep! he definitely had me there! When I tried it... of course I couldn't taste the chocolate haha!

On that note - has anyone ever hard a chocolate covered cheese?

/AE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.