Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Trip Report: RTW On *A -First Time in Australia- Featuring Brisbane!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Trip Report: RTW On *A -First Time in Australia- Featuring Brisbane!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Grand Central Station 1 of 2

NYC decided to shut itself down due to Hurricane Irene. The Conference I was schedule to speak and participate got cancelled. Public Transportation got shut down starting noon on Saturday (I arrived Friday evening). I was not even able to see my friends due to lack of public transportation. Stuck in the hotel room in NYC during the hurricane was a very lonely and restless feeling.

Before Grand Central Station was shut down for the weekend, I strolled around that magnificient train station where I used to lived just a block away. I have never seen Grand Central Station so empty before. It seemed to be a perfect time to take photos while it is not crowded. Unfortunately, my heart and mind were on my mate I could not see...so close but yet so far away. Both of us were trapped on opposite end of Lexington Ave by Hurricane Irene...

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Grand Central Station 2 of 2

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 25, 2012 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Between noon time on Saturday and the evening of Sunday, it was hell for me< Stuck at Grand Hyatt with nowhere to go. I was already traveling too much and felling tired of being on the road. The worst part was I had certain misfortunes happened to me at home and just was not in the right frame of mind to be alone in a city far away from home.

After NYC, I still had London, Brisbane and Singapore to visit with lot's of work waiting for me

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NYC Streets 1 of 2

Monday morning after Hurricane Irene passed NYC, clouds cleared, sun came out and NYC was back to its late summer vibrancy! My spirit was up as result that positive NYC atmosphere. Before I ended my stay in NYC, I walked the city to capture a few shots.

Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NY Streets 2 of 2

Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LGA RCC

I dragged myself out of the bed at 3:30 am to catch the 6 am flight to IAD in order to connect onto the early morning IAD-LHR UA flight.

Yes, I could have done EWR-LHR on CO 757, but I needed the EQMs to earn additional SWUs.

LGA RCC badly needed an upgrade, but it remains to be my favorite RCC in the system for its wonderful customer services agents. I remember spending every Friday evening at LGA RCC for about six months commuting back home to DC when I lived in NY for work.

On this particular day, I was the only person at the RCC when it opened at 5:30 am sharp.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 27, 2012 at 6:24 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LGA-IAD

....so I left NYC a little deflated and disappointed.

I was hoping to catch up with my mate over the weekend and catch up with many friends and colleagues at the Conference. In addition, I had spent a lot of time preparing for my presentation and have certain key messages I would like to convey to people in the industry I am involved in.

I was not even half way through my trip and I was already feeling tired. The great anticipation of visiting Australia for the first time had almost been forgotten at that point.

Getting stuck in a Mesa Air CRJ at 6 am in the morning also did not help to cheer up my mood....

Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Beautiful shots as always UA_Flyer ^

Your NYC ones are spectacular. It looks like you spent some time around Bryant Park too. I used to live on the corner of 39th and 6th and had great views over the park and up 6th Avenue.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy
Beautiful shots as always UA_Flyer ^

Your NYC ones are spectacular. It looks like you spent some time around Bryant Park too. I used to live on the corner of 39th and 6th and had great views over the park and up 6th Avenue.
Matt, thanks!

You need to teach me a few things relate to taking excellent photos inside of the aircraft cabins. When are you going to finish your A380 Emirate report? I have been waiting for days now!

39th and 6th ave is a great area! Lots of happenings there. I lived on Lexington and 44th street. Grand Central Station is like my backyard. I wish I get another shot of NYC. When I lived in NY, I spent the weekends in DC with family and never had chance to fully appreciate living in NYC. London is another city that I wish I get a chance to live and work for a while. You are lucky that you have done both cities.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IAD International F Lounge

I arrived IAD around 7 am and had to wait about half of an hour before the F lounge open. Similar to the LGA RCC (now United Club), IAD F lounge also badly needs an upgrade.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 27, 2012 at 6:30 am
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:32 am

Programs: Miles & More;
Great Report!

I especially love all your airport pictures - i think i should also take more pictures at the airport - so many nice photo opportunities.

And as i am also going to Washington and New York in a few weeks - and still havent booked a hotel your report comes at the right time...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ARJ85
Great Report!

I especially love all your airport pictures - i think i should also take more pictures at the airport - so many nice photo opportunities.

And as i am also going to Washington and New York in a few weeks - and still havent booked a hotel your report comes at the right time...
Thanks. I can't wait to see the photos you will take in NY and DC. Hope you will have some spectacluar night shots. I was at Marina Bay, Singapore last night taking some night photos (without tripod), and the images of your night photos from the top of the Marina Bay Sand kept flashing through my mind as I walked around the Marina Bay.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
^ Always appreciate your photo reports!

Being a design-enthusiast I couldn't help noticing that the renovated rooms at the NY "Grand Hyatt" seem to be more fit for Vegas than Grand Central, don't you think? Similar odd interior-design-choices have recently been made by "Marriott" at many renovated or newly-opened "Renaissance"-properties. Anyway! Tastes differ! But personally I prefer a more low-key approach. Think "Park Hyatt" not "W".

-Tom
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomashi
^ Always appreciate your photo reports!

Being a design-enthusiast I couldn't help noticing that the renovated rooms at the NY "Grand Hyatt" seem to be more fit for Vegas than Grand Central, don't you think? Similar odd interior-design-choices have recently been made by "Marriott" at many renovated or newly-opened "Renaissance"-properties. Anyway! Tastes differ! But personally I prefer a more low-key approach. Think "Park Hyatt" not "W".

-Tom
Tom,

Thanks, and nice to see you back.

I have not thought much about the design of the renovated Grand Hyatt until you pointed out. I guess the color purple throws me off a bit. When I stayed there last month, the lobby area of the Grand Hyatt was completed and you are right the new lobby does look more 'Andaz" than "Hyatt". Perhaps the Grand Hyatt properties are going through new design change. I will check out the new Hyatt@Lex and 48th later this year to see how it looks. I still prefer the Andaz at 5th ave and 41st...the problem is it is always sold out or the rooms are super expensive on dates I have visited NYC.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IAD-LHR 763 International F 1 of 2

Breakfast

There were choices of the tired omelet with sausages or the European Deli plate. I chose the deli plate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.