Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Surprising Service – can you guess who? (intra-asia, regional, business class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Just returned from a regional return flight in business class on this asian carrier… and I was really really surprised by the experience:

boarding
  • priority boarding handled well
  • welcomed on board and advised, during seating, which seats would remain empty and invited to move to maximise comfort
  • hot towel
  • choice of water, orange juice and champagne (although one passenger asked for, and was given, hot tea instead)
    • champagne served in airline style 'flutes'
  • drink and tea menu presented and orders taken for post take-off drinks
  • slippers unwrapped and placed by feet ready for use

post takeoff

• dinner orders taken, asked when we would like to dine!
  • another hot towel
  • very well mixed aperitif, served with mixed nuts (in a bowl!)
  • tasty cafeteria style meals. outbound appetizer a bit of a mystery, but on the return the appetizer was a delicious anti-pasti plate with ricotta cheese, marinated vegetables, blanched asparagus
  • coursers served individually
  • salt and pepper brought out with the main course, attention to detail to ensure the the pattern on the shakers was matched up and paced directly showing to the passenger
  • 6 types of warm bread
  • fresh fruit for dessert, plus cake with coffee
  • coffee served with individual mini milk jugs!
  • tray cleared and another hot towel.

landing
  • absolute priority for disembarkation
  • sign ‘thank you for flying Air China’

Yes – this was Air China! English was pretty good (for what it needed to achieve) and in fact on the return flight the attendant’s english was excellent to the point of being able to engage in a conversation about work and travel plans.

In most respects - food and IFE excluded - the service was on par for both flights with Singapore Airlines business class. Previous (minor) issues mentioned on FT about coffee coming out with the main course have now been rectified and on both flights I was asked to confirm I wanted coffee after the meal with the desert! The 'dine on demand' option may have been to do with flight length and cabin load (not too full).

Well done to CA (although note this was a short 3 hour flight, the seats for longer flights need to be chosen carefully to get their latest product).
Old May 5, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: Hilton
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
What was the routing of the flight??
Old May 5, 2011, 8:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
What was the routing of the flight??
Exactly - which route please - and which aircraft type?

PS. My original thought was that it could be Bangkok Airways - they are fantastic in C...
Old May 5, 2011, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
routing was Air China Shanghai PVG to Tokyo NRT and return.

Aircraft outbound A320, 8J/150Y and return was B777 49J/2xxY.

On the A320 seat ptich is about 38' - row 1 offers more legroom despite the bulkhead.

The B777 is dated for its seating. Electronic controls for backrest, footrest. Recline approx 35 degrees. Pitch 42'. Row 13L (and 13A on the opposite) offers significantly MORE legroom as the curvature of the fuselage means the seats in row 12 by the window are tilted in the floor tracks. Note that the aisle seats suffer from reduced legroom due to the same tilting of the seats.

Row 11 - the first row would be ok otherwise. Especially if you wanted the aisle.
Old May 7, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Yes, I've had my share of great experiences with CA - including one also being a 3h regional flight from PEK to HKG on an A321 (Business).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.