Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Olafman - when do we get the next installment?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
if you look in the trip report thread you'll find 2 new postings about SGN-BKK and BKK-India.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Thanks all for the encouragement.

Yes, the report on Vietnam is coming. Once again, we've been so busy here in India, I haven't made the time to finish it up.

I have been busy writing various trip reports on the flights:
FLIGHT#23: BKK CX & QF/BA Lounges & CX 751 BKK-DEL Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#22: SGN International Sasco Lounge & TG 551 Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#20: SGN Dom Sasco Lounge, VN452 SGN-NHA Biz Class and Sheraton Nha Trang

Stay tuned!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Originally Posted by olafman
Just yesterday the woman who comes to our flat and teaches me cooking asked if I was married. I replied that I was and I'm married to Terry. She looked confused at first an then it all clicked into place.
Everyone in Vietnam asked us if we were married. We said "yes, to each other!" One lady replied said "No way, Jose! You're GAY?" We said yes, we really are. Then she said "Seriously, where are your wives?"

Loving the report in all its many facets. Thanks for letting us all share in your adventure.

David
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Hope we are going to get your December and January reports soon. I check this thread regularly in hopes that you have found the time to post.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Greetings from Melbourne.

I've just updated this thread with the DECEMBER 2011: HO CHI MIN CITY, VIETNAM.

It was a great month there. Happy reading.

I've already begun working on India's report. It should come in less than a month.

Also, on a side note, special thoughts go out to all the people in Christchurch, NZ who have experienced great tragedy and loss yesterday.

Last edited by olafman; Feb 27, 2011 at 2:45 am
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
What an amazing report so far. I can't even imagine how long it took you to type that.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
What an inspirational series of trip reports, olafman ^^

I've just finished reading up to your latest flight (QF A380) - great picture-text balance in your reports, and easy to read too. Love the focus on lounges and onboard food.

Looking forward to the next photo flight report.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Greetings all!

I have just updated the post describing our month in Cochin, India. It was such a great time. You can reach it directly by clicking on:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14949723-post9.html

I've started to include some of the pictures to give you a sense of what I'm writing about! I hope you enjoying this addition.

Next month THREE A380 flights! Including a shower on Emirates!

Last edited by olafman; Mar 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Oh olafman. What a wonderful India report. I wish we could up and leave, but have 8 kids.......... Of the 4 legged kind. Not sure how they would be able to fly in business class. They are well behaved.

Can't wait for more sequels.

Happy and safe travels from us in Kenya.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Throughout my reports, I often refer to downloading current TV shows from my home back in CA. I have finally written up an explanation about this and posted it in Flyertalk's Travel Technology forum.

If you would like to be able to watch shows from your home TV, check out:
BeyondTV: Watching TV from home anywhere in the world!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Hey Olafman. I really enjoyed reading your TR. I discovered this thread 2 days ago and basically spent the entire day yesterday reading it. Cannot wait until the next installment.

One thing that I constantly thin: Corbin sure is a very lucky kid. These life experiences are something he will never learn in a classroom. I wish my fifth grade was spent thusly, although my mum always tried her hardest to take us all over the country, every break, during my formative years. But nothing like this

I love your frank observations and your candid statements, about your likes, dislikes and otherwise. It's good not to get a glossed over and PC post about different cultures and countries. I come from one of the developing countries you visited and experience the frustrations and joys alike.

One sentence struck me as odd:
Can I repeat that we LOVE that this used to be a French colony!
I know what you actually meant to say. I just did a quick double take on reading that So uncharacteristic coming from you.

Keep on posting. I have subscribed to this thread and cannot wait until the next post! Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by porphyra
One sentence struck me as odd:

"Can I repeat that we LOVE that this used to be a French colony!"

I know what you actually meant to say. I just did a quick double take on reading that So uncharacteristic coming from you.
This comment was supposed to be a joke because I was so happy to find wonderful croissants and baguettes.

Overall, I'm against imperialism!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olafman
This comment was supposed to be a joke because I was so happy to find wonderful croissants and baguettes.

Overall, I'm against imperialism!
LOL makes sense. Sometimes sarcasm is hard to get across on the internet. I can totally see it now

Hope things in NZ are going well. I imagine the earthquake in Christchurch was a little sobering! Do keep writing!!!!!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
olafman, just started reading your TR and blog and I love it. Keep up the good work.^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.