Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: FT
What's insane was that it's been so long since this report. I too want the final post.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Ever since Jay wrote me last week with his kind note, I've been reading through what I've written until now. It does need an ending so I've begun to write. Also it deserves an epilogue too. So much has happened since the trip. Our journey affected our lives in many ways. Lots to share.

Stay tuned.

-Carl
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Looking forward to updates!! Your trip report of your family's remarkable year is one of my favorites.

Molly
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

FALL 2018 Update:

I still hear from people about our trip and wondering how our son Corbin turned out after experiencing this incredible year of travel and cultures at age 11.

Well, Corbin continues to be an amazing person. He graduated high school here in the Bay Area and now is off at university. While in high school, he did EMT training and is currently studying pre-nursing. He has a special ability to work with people and help them especially in difficult times. I believe that our year long trip helped him develop empathy and love for all humans, especially those on the fringe of society. He is funny and loving. He never experienced the "terrible two's" and did very well with adolescence.

Just the other day, I came across a slideshow of Corbin's moments of Fifth Grade Around the World. It is truly full of thousands of memories. It's 13 minutes long but if you'd like to watch part of it, here is the link:

Here's a picture of our little boy all grown up as an 18 year old man. And of course, there's a girlfriend that greatly influenced where he chose to go to college. We are happy he's on a good pathway in life. Travel has been a part of his life since he was a four month old and made his first trip to South Africa. And I believe it's his foundation of travel that will continue to guide his life as he gets older.

Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks for the update. What a fine young man. I traveled along as you reported on your year around the world. It was enthralling.
olafman likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:49 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I still believe this is one of the better and most interesting trip reports out there. Thanks for sharing!
olafman and janehoya like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
What a great report. I missed this first time around; thank you for the update
olafman likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM
i would also like to comment that this report was so interesting, i wasted spent a huge chunk of my sunday working my way through as i was not on FT when it was first posted -- so well written and a lovely and fascinating read even 7+ yrs later

thanks so much for sharing your experience and reviving the report -- best of luck to you and your family moving forward!

(also, as apolitically as possible two days before election day in the US, i found your analogue in reference to the chilean winery "Think “Donald Trump wakes up one day and says ‘I want a winery.’"" both amusing and depressing!)
olafman likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I remember when this first came out, it was about when I first joined FT. I’m only a few years older than your son, and I really enjoyed reading about a family that cared as much about travel as my family did/does. Travel provides so much to youth, it provides valuable experiences, I’ve certainly made good use of my experience, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

It was a joy to read the report again.
olafman likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Very cool, thanks for the update - what a great story!
olafman likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Loved this story - and have missed frequent TR's from you since -

Great to see that Corbin has turned into an amazing young man- he did have two amazing Dads to guide him thru life

thanks for the epilogue
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Loved this story - and have missed frequent TR's from you since -
I still travel a lot but it's funny. I feel like a lot of the stories about the geeky travel part have been told by me and others. I'm booked to go to Japan for cherry blossom festival. The outbound is in SQ First and the return is JAL First. I've written several reports on both of these experiences. I've also flown quite a bit on Emirates in first but I'm not sure what new insight my experiences bring. I still love each and every minute of international travel especially in First. Yes, I'm still the same travel geek that I was when I joined Flyertalk and then ended up buy a million miles worth of Nutrigrain bars to fly on Concorde and lots of other international first travel. Since then, I continue to chase the travel dragon.

First and foremost, travel is about people. I still remember the outstanding station manager of Air India at LAX when we left our home to live in Europe before we did our year of travel. He was so lovely and warm. He really made us feel like we were about to fly on HIS airline. We were the only passengers flying in First that night and he showed us wonderful hospitality. Then he introduced us to the Purser once on board. He, along with the other lovely "auntie" FA and a stunningly beautiful young FA continued to give us one of our most memorable flights. It was a wonderful start to an outstanding experience of a lifetime.
adampenrith and Wickersley like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.