Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My June 2010 trip Lhr-BKK with side trip to Han

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:32 am
Original Poster

My June 2010 trip Lhr-BKK with side trip to Han

Hi everyone this is my 1st attempt at an trip report and it won't be very complete as I did not plan to write a report I did not note down any registration numbers and as I been to Bkk many times to see my g/f I didnt even bring a camera so sorry folks no pics.

14th June 2010
Lhr-Bkk on EVA Air Elite class (prem econo)
Seat 23K
Load near 100% in Y/ 70% in Elite / 60% Premium Laurel
departure time 21.30
actual departure 21.45

I arrived at Lhr terminal 3 at 7.30pm this will be my 2nd time flying Eva and is only a greencard member. There was only 2 other paxs checking in so check was quick I asked if any seat on row 20 was avaible was fed the lie that it was crew rest area/seat. I laughed to myself when I heard that as I sat there before and read a lot about those seat is hold for family with babies and diamond club but didnt grill him on that and just lefted it. My baggage was tagged with the yellow elite tag which was a first for me as the 1st time when I sat in Elite my baggage did not get the elite tag but I thought maybe I did not get it due to me being an operational upgrade and not a fully paid fare.

Lhr Terminal 3 is nothing to write home and broading was done orderly compare to last time when I flew with them. Diamond, gold and familes broaded 1st then Elite was called. I was glad elite cabin was not too full as I had a big fella and was hogging the armrest so after door closed I moved to 21K. The Avod did not work on 21k but was ok as I had 2 seats beside I had my laptop with pre-loaded films.

The food was not very good this time round and I'd compared it to Vietnam airlines economy, VN wins hands down, presentation not as good but taste is spot on. I travel 3-4 times a year to see my g/f and mostly used Thai and I noticed service is better on Thai but hardware is the let down with no avod. Even on Elite class the drinks run was done with such speed Usain bolt will be proud off at 35,000 ft. I missed most of the drinks run to slow to react but I always travel with a bottle of water so not a prob with me. I also noticed that on Thai theres not that much turbulence over near around Myanmar maybe due to bigger aircraft 747 to Eva 777? Well rest flight was uneventful and have to report immigration was sooo empty walked right up and luggage came out very fast I was out in arrival in no more than 20 -25mins which is fastest i ever been.

The Vietnam side trip was not planned and very last minute as I had a big argument with my g/f so decided rather than stay in hotel by myself I had friend that was on holiday in Manila, Philippines and Hai Phoung, Vietnam. As my parents were of vietnamese origin I decided I should check out north Vietnam. I'd been to the south Ho chin minh city but never been to the north and cannot speak a word of Vietnamese. I done my visa online and collected it at arrivals at Hanoi international airport (Han) Noi Bai.

24th June 2010
Vietnam airlines (VN) econmy
A321
departure 12.00
actual departure 12.15
arrival 13.45

I started looking at tickets and air asia (FD) flew to Hanoi but with all the extra baggage i needed and meals it was bout 2-300 bhat more than VN and VN gave 20kg baggage and more accomodiating on excess baggage. Again Surwanibui airport (cannot spell) was empty and immigration was a breeze.

Broading was chaotic to say the least with mainly viets, thais on holiday and a few french and other europeans. I dont think viets and thais know what broading by rows means as there was a mast hurray to broad. The Cabin was in fair conditions and planbe looked newish. There is no avod as expected and I was seated in a window seat (forgot seat number) The food was very good I had chicken noodle, chicken was soft and cooked in an tomatoe based sauce kinda like salsa style, overall a very good meal but I have to note that upon broading and de-broading the plan or at meal service was there any form of a smile from 6 flight attendents.

Han was an better airport than expected looks fairly newly built and is the expected minimal for an international airport. Collecting my visa on arrival was so slow even tho everything was sorted before I flew out 7 people in the office only 1 - 2 was working at a time with the rest chatting on mobiles and a women done her nails, I thought welcome to commuist way of working. I was told by my friend that I was to slip $ 5-10 into my passport at immigration and I remembered when I visited HCM city they gave me and my sis probs even tho we had all the right paperworks and visa cos we didnt not offer a bribe money. I grew up in London and do not believe in being hold to ransom by such thugs and decided against slipping in the $5-10 in my passport.

My friend was too lazy to pick me up from airport as its an 1 - 2 hr drive depending on traffic from Hanoi to Hai Phoung. I nearly got taken into a taxi by touts as I thought were the offical taxi service but only realised when they saw police and ran. Taxi was neogiatied at 1 million VND sounds like a lot right but only bout £35 lol

Hai Phoung is a beautiful city but nobody speaks english even at my hotel. Which was pretty good considering what I paid only £13 night wifi and was still being built. Very clean compare to some hotels in Thailand and Philippines. The food was great, I cannot empthasis Vietnamese soup noodles enough, anwsome.

I had 6 great days in Hai Phoug and was time to return to BKK as I have my return flight to the UK the following day.

30th June 2010
Han - BKk
depature 9.00
actual not remember woke up with hangover at 5am for flight

I cannot remember much of this flight was so hangover from previous night apart from waking up at 5am for flight.

Again Surwanbuhi was empty was out of immigration in no time, luggage tooke about 15 mins to arrive.

I was supposed to fly back to UK on 1st July but changed my ticket after I got back with my g/f and instead flew back to Lhr on 7th July.

7th July 2010
Bkk-Lhr Eva elite class
departure 12.50pm
acutal departure 1.05pm
arrival 7.00pm

As I mentioned this is only my 2nd time flying with Eva, on the inbound leg at BKk I was upgraded to elite class. This time at check in I asked about any row 20 seat lefted and the clark played round with her computer for a bout 8 mins went on her radio and all and said a few things. I thought to myself this is same as last time maybe I'm gonna get an upgrade???? But as mention by Jimbo999 its hard to come by even for gold members so thought yes or no.....??? Finally she said to me sorry i cannot give u a seat on row 20 now but she will try and if she can see me at the gate. I thought awww.... no upgrade but more importantly no seat on row 20.

I went to get something to eat with my g/f and took my time to go thru security as I knew it will be quick. I bid farewell to my g/f at 12.15pm and made my way thru security and got to gate at 12.40pm. The Eva gate handler scanned my broading pass and it made an error sound with a red light shown. I thought no way I read about this on flyertalk can it really be happening to me. The gate agent torn up my original broading pass and gave me my new premium laurel bp 10H and I was in heaven. Only flew Eva twice and twice i got upgraded on the Bkk leg, and for the record both time i was dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flop.

I boarded with only 10-15mins to spare and was seated in the 1st row of the 2nd cabin and the food was great and same with the service too (previous trip report by other members in this class is more detailed) Only bad point is mine and my seat mate avod was both not working so we were moved to 7h-7k. I had my meal there but the guy sitting nx to me was coughing all the time so after I had my dinner I moved back to 7H and had both seat for myself. I did not mine no avod as i had my laptop anyway preloaded with films i wanted to watch. I made the most of my time in this cabin and drink mainly XO and coke as I do not like champaigne.

Plane landed 15mins early and as I was given fast track immigration was a breeze but then i thought bout my luggage, its only tagged with elite so i will have a long wait. To my surprise I only waited no more than 2 mins my luggage came out. I was out at pick up point in no more than lil onver 10mins result .....!!!!!

This was a trip made great by Eva, Thank you Eva, whom I will only fly with to BKK (but just not gona expect upgrades everytime)

Hope I did not bored u, byeee

Last edited by mivecboy; Jul 8, 2010 at 9:08 am Reason: accidentially pressed enter
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yup, I agree. Pretty incomplete trip report.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

sorry Dr HFH i pressed the enter button by accidential while writing out the trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.