Wiki Posts
Search

Long Way Home - A Y Class Spectacular with UA and CO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by NoY
Another very amusing report Kevincm ^ With all the miles you must have racked up isn't it about time you treated yourself to J or F ?
Thanks NoY - alas, the race for re-qualification will beat the race to use up these miles (which leads me to question my own strategy for *G... and why I'm still crediting to Diamond Club).

I just get a very nasty feeling that one of my friends will one day "ask" for A J class ticket.. and mile miles just disappear....

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Always enjoy reading your trip reports.^

I cannot wait for the next one....
Thanks UA_Flyer! The next one.. is long, convoluted, and maddening. And that's just the introduction

A bit more of a mileage run next time.

Originally Posted by Weean
Nice TR

The metal cutlery on CO is always a nice touch- Close your eyes, & with a heavy enough cold you can't taste the food, you could fool yourself into thinking you were on Singapore Airlines

The spoons are especially handy, being between teaspoon and regular dessert/soup spoon size, for children that have outgrown their plastic cutlery, but aren't quite ready for their parents' stuff. I expect.
Thanks Weean. The metal cutlery was a major surprise (and the first I've had in a TATL economy product for some time)

The spoons... Well... Ice cream would had been nice. Like a little airline who used to do the MAN-ORD run used to do....

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Enjoyable. The ghetto IFE is ingenious!
Thanks SFflyer123. As I've said before, I reach for the GhettoIFE when there is nothing else on the IFE systems - and this is where Continental's product really shines - A decent AVOD system, with a nice large screen, vs a looped system on a crappy small screen with 12 channels on it.

For an IFE system to work, it must be combined with usability as well as content - and Continental wins hands down here.

Truth be know - I didn't even make up GhettoIFE system for the EWR-LHR Leg in the end... that scores good points in my book....

Originally Posted by boyerling3
Thanks for writing a trip report that is actually somewhat realistic. Your pictures are good and you don't complain about the tiniest, stupid little things but instead evaluate things a bit more critically. ^
Thanks boyerling3. I've always tried to keep my Trip reports pretty much on the fact rather than the dream, and try to look at the service as well as the product. Although I'm not immune to ranting when I feel fit ....
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:33 pm

Cool!

Interesting reading. Thanks for it!

On the ERJ-145, you mentioned that it was showing its use by Continental in part due to the XM radio. Do a few/some/a lot/most/all UX 145s have the radio? Is it even enabled?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Great Report Kevin!
I officially dub you "The father of GhettoIFE", you've earned it!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice report and pics Kevincm. ^
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Interesting reading. Thanks for it!

On the ERJ-145, you mentioned that it was showing its use by Continental in part due to the XM radio. Do a few/some/a lot/most/all UX 145s have the radio? Is it even enabled?

Thanks!
Thanks cmn.jcs

I'd assume it's on the expressJet birds only (I haven't seen it on the Trans-State/Republic birds). It seemed on - I was chatting to the FA most of the flight so I didn't get a chance to test it....

This the pic I got...

Originally Posted by sobore
Great Report Kevin!
I officially dub you "The father of GhettoIFE", you've earned it!
Thank you sobore!

Originally Posted by Moomba
Nice report and pics Kevincm. ^
Thanks Moomba. I could had got a Bubbly photo for you.. but this would had involved going to the bar at EWR... and paying money
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Thks for another great source of inspiration Kevincm. Like you, I have to maintain status down the back of the bus as business travel isn't providing enough miles at the moment.

As a challenge, this kind of thing is legal on UA/CO and I'm seriously tempted ... LON-MAN-MUC-FRA-FCO-EWR-IAH-SFO-DEN (or similar) and return for the LHR-DEN fare, if you can find availability. That's about 10K miles each way

Last year I did LHR-ORD-SAT-ORD-DEN-PHL and return.

It will price on ITA and fortunately I have a friendly and long-suffering TA !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.