Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You seem to have a lot of posts in this thread

I always full prepare the night before for early morning starts.
Oh I did prepare, my belt was with my clothes already set out for this morning. I just didn't put it on.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by CMK10
Woke up at 4:15 this morning, showered and dressed for work. It wasn't until I was at RDU that I realized I never put my belt on. Thankfully the USCIS office in Arlington is right across from a Target but man that was dumb.
That's why I slept in 'til 4:25 today.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“belt in loops on pants” is part of the getting-ready process (pre-departure checklist)
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I had a sales kick off in Europe. 2nd day I noticed that my left and right shoes were different!
Did the same thing on a trip to Mexico. Got to stop buying shoes that look so similar. That or put better lighting in my closet.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On a trip with my mom last month, we were checking in at the airport when she realized she left her passport at home.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:53 pm

Always, always look at the airport monitors.
todays dumb travel mistake brought to you courtesy of the delta app, which was showing the wrong gate information. By the time I had the sense to get up and check the monitor resulting in a race across YYZ my flight had left.
I did get rebooked on a (much) later flight...that was then delayed to the point that it was going to miss the last connection to my home airport. By some miracle I managed to get onto an earlier flight stand by and am currently waiting at the gate to board my connection home.
after checking the monitors in the airport, of course.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Always, always look at the airport monitors.
todays dumb travel mistake brought to you courtesy of the delta app, which was showing the wrong gate information. By the time I had the sense to get up and check the monitor resulting in a race across YYZ my flight had left.
I did get rebooked on a (much) later flight...that was then delayed to the point that it was going to miss the last connection to my home airport. By some miracle I managed to get onto an earlier flight stand by and am currently waiting at the gate to board my connection home.
after checking the monitors in the airport, of course.
Not all airport controlled monitors have the correct info, it is better to go to the gate and check there. (been caught by that myself where the airport monitors said a gate in the N terminal but my flight was actually in C, good thing there is a train that comes often!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Heading to the airport one day, typical morning trip, got a few block (fortunately) from home and realized my laptop was still at home on my desk. Quick U-turn get the laptop and head out again. My husband dropped me off at arrivals as departures was a total zoo, but just a few steps inside the terminal I realized my purse was still in the car. It has my phones and my ID as well as my CCs. Drop my bags and run outside yelling for my husband, but of course he cannot hear me and speeds away. Thankfully I knew I just had to head upstairs and get any AS agent, use their phone to call my phone so my husband will know he needs to turn around. Good thing I was early enough that the time it took him to get turned around and back to arrivals was quick enough so that I did not miss my flight - Phew.
jackal likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
Not all airport controlled monitors have the correct info, it is better to go to the gate and check there. (been caught by that myself where the airport monitors said a gate in the N terminal but my flight was actually in C, good thing there is a train that comes often!
Check the monitors, confirm at the gate! good advice.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I don't know if I'd say if this was the dumbest for me, but it was up there in the noob section...

Had a J/F boarding pass but didn't realize I could use the lounge and ended up slumming it in the gate area for 3 hours. Only found out after the fact that I could've used the lounge.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Just had my first time booking the wrong hotel. The DoubleTree I booked was 45 minutes from the meeting location and my colleague's hotel. The correct DT was sold out when he checked in.

I took the rental car and had to make the "punishment drive" both ways (the afternoon of arrival and the morning of the meeting).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Just had my first time booking the wrong hotel. The DoubleTree I booked was 45 minutes from the meeting location and my colleague's hotel. The correct DT was sold out when he checked in.

I took the rental car and had to make the "punishment drive" both ways (the afternoon of arrival and the morning of the meeting).
I'd say this happens to the best of us.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
My assistant.... many years ago didn’t tell me I was flying into Ohare and out of midway. I should have checked before I left the office. My bad.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't know if I'd say if this was the dumbest for me, but it was up there in the noob section...

Had a J/F boarding pass but didn't realize I could use the lounge and ended up slumming it in the gate area for 3 hours. Only found out after the fact that I could've used the lounge.
Booked a Europe trip (from SYD) with US miles back in THAT heyday for Mum and brother... (Berlin marathon)...Asked them after the trip (which they loved) what they thought of the Lounges on the way there and back... Blank looks....

Damn... I should have briefed them properly!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Our son in law had a similar situation. He was on a work funded trip in J to Chicago and on return he said he couldn't get in to the lounge as he wasn't a member of their frequent flyer program. When we heard we said you should of contacted us to query it because that is not true. It is probably one of the only times he'll fly in J so he was now disappointed he missed going to the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.