Not switching seats with someone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not switching seats with someone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:35 pm

The above postings show two important points, which bear repeating:
  • The person asking for a seat swap can't really tell what the person being asked will consider a "better seat".
  • The person who agrees to change may find out too late that there are all kinds of things wrong with the new seat (some of which may be "wrong" in that person's opinion but not in another's).

For these reasons, I think it's never a good idea for one passenger to ask another to swap. A better policy is:
  • If you don't like your assigned seat, try to change it on the web site seat selection page (if available to your ticket) before you get to the airport.
  • If that doesn't work, ask the gate agent at check in if you can be changed.
  • If that doesn't work, as the FA on board if you can be changed.
  • And if that doesn't work, just accept your assigned seat.

Some people may feel they don't want to "bother" the FA with such a request, but it seems to me if what you want isn't important enough to "bother" the FA with, then it's not important enough for you to "bother" another passenger with.

(And I wonder how many people who want to change seats actually do all the first three before trying to get someone to swap?)

One advantage to having the FA arrange the change is that the person being asked may be able to do some negotiating (like, "I wouldn't mind changing if you can put me in another aisle seat farther forward.")

(I wouldn't of course be so strict about this as to criticize somebody who offers to change seats so a nearby couple or parent/child who have obviously been separated can be together -- but that's the only exception I can think of, and it's really different, since that's not a case of someone who is trying to change because they don't like their own seat.)
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is ok to ask someone to move, but it is perfectly reasonable for that person to decline. I would be likely to decline a move from a middle block aisle to a side block aisle on flights which I take since I can be sure of no one wanting to climb over me to get out ( 2-2-2 ) configuration. There is no reason to expect someone to move to satisfy your desires; if wanting to sit together then ensure that it is done by check in. Seems a case of DYKWIA to class those that wont do what you want to be donkeys

Dave
Amen ^ Just because someone wants it their way does not make it right ! You have no idea nor would I share with anyone my reasons for sitting in the bulkhead aisle seat on all my flights. I make my reservations early enough where these seats are available. For that matter so can or could anyone else. So sit in your assigned seat, enjoy the flight and be done with it.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I always fly alone and for some reason, I get asked to swap all the time. I have noticed that generally (not always) the pax wanting the swap has one specific swap in mind.

I'm sitting in exit row 14B (2 seat row, no one in front, no bulkhead. I have sat in row 15 before. 15A has a bit of extra leg room on the left, but the entire row seemed to have less-than-standard pitch on that flight. Packed flight. Wife is in 14A, husband is in 15A. Husband wants to switch and points out to me that I will still have great legroom. Husband was very angry when I declined (politely) to switch. He kept repeating (more and more loudly), "this is my WIFE".

At no point did either he or his wife offer to switch with 15B.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Some people who are assigned a seat that is undesirable to them are not there by choice; there are equipment changes, flight cancellations, emergency travel, etc beyond their control that might have necessitated that seating. Since it may not be the case that they failed to plan ahead, I wouldn't conclude I was more virtuous simply because I had selected my seat way in advance.

I feel there is no harm in asking politely if someone is willing to change (like-for-like) with me, but I wouldn't expect any explanation beyond "No thanks, I'd like to keep this seat." The bad seat is my problem, even if not my fault, not the problem of another passenger. I would (and have) strenuously object to a squatter in my seat.

I might ask the FA for assistance if the "bad seat" was due to airline factors. The FA might have to ability to offer the other passenger an even better seat in exchange for cooperation in resolving a difficult situation (parent separated from a child for example).
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
in my experience, that rarely happens. Once the poacher goes back to their original seat, they talk their new seatmate into switching with their spouse, so everyone is happy.
The douche's orignal seat was 8J, and the OP's seat, 8H was broken. While your idea usually works, it wouldn't in this case.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Like most here, where possible I pre-allocate my seat according to my preference.

On an AKL-MEL flight (~4 hours) a few months back on a 737, I had 7C allocated (deliberately an aisle). When I boarded there were two teenage girls (maybe 16 or 17) standing in Row 7. Asked me if I was 7C, when I said yep, they politely asked if I would mind swapping - to 20-something-B. That being a middle seat I politely declined (and explained why - I'm not exactly supermodel thin, and even if I was I would loathe a middle seat)!

They accepted this with good grace. They had some other travelling companions back there and I did subsequently offer to 7B that if she could rearrange her friends' seating so I ended up in an aisle I would do that swap, but she declined.

First seat swap request I've ever had and after reading some of the stories here guess I'm lucky there was no 'entitlement', acrimony, or overt disappointment.

I do agree with the view that there is no harm asking, but equally there should be no obligation to accept such a request, and the requester should not feel put out in any way if decined (though obviously some do)!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Why is OP complaining? He did not do anything to get this person to move. He was the cause of his own suffering. Don't be mad if you helped someone do this to you. Man up!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mmood
What you are mad about is not the person in the seat, but the fact you got stuck with bad passengers. You would have been in this situation if your first seat wasn't inoperable. (Heck the person in 11 J might have had chronic flatulence, so you don't know if it would have been any better.)

Its good to vent, but don't take it out on your fellow travelers the next time someone wants to trade like for like.
Is that you, Dr. Phil?

OP can speak about the reasons for being upset and I, for one, never presume to tell someone else why they feel the way they do.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by videomaker
Is that you, Dr. Phil?

OP can speak about the reasons for being upset and I, for one, never presume to tell someone else why they feel the way they do.
Fair statement and duly corrected, but I recognize the response from my own past behavior. Believe me, I've done it tons of time and it took me a long time to realize not to stew about it too much, or else its just me that suffered.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I always fly alone and for some reason, I get asked to swap all the time. I have noticed that generally (not always) the pax wanting the swap has one specific swap in mind.

I'm sitting in exit row 14B (2 seat row, no one in front, no bulkhead. I have sat in row 15 before. 15A has a bit of extra leg room on the left, but the entire row seemed to have less-than-standard pitch on that flight. Packed flight. Wife is in 14A, husband is in 15A. Husband wants to switch and points out to me that I will still have great legroom. Husband was very angry when I declined (politely) to switch. He kept repeating (more and more loudly), "this is my WIFE".

At no point did either he or his wife offer to switch with 15B.
Great story.

You should have said something like this with a big smile: "See? Some guys got all the luck. Not only do I have the better seat with more legroom, I am also sitting next to your wife." That would have totally killed him and the discreet compliment would have probably earned you the good graces of his wife who would have calmed her husband.

The more aggressive version would be:"Look, is this about the seat or about the wife? I suggest I keep my seat and you can keep your wife!"

Since this happens to you often, maybe you can use it in the future.

Till
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I don't mean to doubt the veracity of the OP's post but it seems like there are details that are left out.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:21 am

Wow... what a story. I don't have a lot people that ask for seat switching so yeah never had problems.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by lifeplayer
Wow... what a story. I don't have a lot people that ask for seat switching so yeah never had problems.
Do you fly in middle seats in the last row?

I get asked all of the time.

I carefully and stategically pick my seats for most flights. Almost every trade that I have ever.made for every charity case has turned out to be negative. I either lose my meal choice, have to swim upstream for my bag, or end up with a family from H3ll behind me.

A trade yesterday on a NW fight from 1B - my absolute fav seat on an A 319 to 1C resulted in being kicked and prodded by 2 obnoxious UMs for 2 hours.

So I preclaim to all of the fine folks on FT. Please do not ask to trade with me. I do not care about your sad story or about how you must sit with your wife/partner. I am finished with swapping. No more charity here...... Find another sucker....

If I travel with my partner, I will upgrade him to ensure that we have seats together. If it does not work out, we can go a few hours without being side by side. Our lives are not going to fall apart because we are not side by side.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:53 am

Programs: spg platinum: aa platinum
Totally agree that swapping or not swapping is the seat owners right. Therefore when I was flying with my 4 year old, and we had an equipment change and AA decided to put my 4 year old in the front of the plane, and me in the back, and as I was walking onto the plane, the person seated next to my 4 year old declined to change seats with me ( I had not yet reached the back of the plane and made the same offer to send my seat companion to the front), I left said 4 year old buckled in his seat with his carryon under the seat in front, and proceeded to my seat. Keep in mind that at this time, this 4 year old was PLT, and was completely comfortable with this as we had discussed that this might happen while waiting. He put his headphones on and already had his IPOD video out, but before I got to my seat, his seat companion was following me down the aisle with his carry-on ready to move. I certainly never gave the impression that it was my right to sit next to my son, nor that it was expected of the "gentleman" to change seats. I am sure it was my kind attitude that made him change his mind.

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Some people who are assigned a seat that is undesirable to them are not there by choice; there are equipment changes, flight cancellations, emergency travel, etc beyond their control that might have necessitated that seating. Since it may not be the case that they failed to plan ahead, I wouldn't conclude I was more virtuous simply because I had selected my seat way in advance.

I feel there is no harm in asking politely if someone is willing to change (like-for-like) with me, but I wouldn't expect any explanation beyond "No thanks, I'd like to keep this seat." The bad seat is my problem, even if not my fault, not the problem of another passenger. I would (and have) strenuously object to a squatter in my seat.

I might ask the FA for assistance if the "bad seat" was due to airline factors. The FA might have to ability to offer the other passenger an even better seat in exchange for cooperation in resolving a difficult situation (parent separated from a child for example).
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by BrianV
However, once in a while there's some jacka$$ who won't trade. I can't stand those people, like their entitled to that specific seat (which they are), but have some consideration for others.
wouldnt that work both ways though????, shouldnt you have some consideration for others and respect that they dont want to swap? or are people all Jacka$$es if they dont consider YOUR wishes?

what you consider to be an equivalent or better seat may not be the same for other people, I always chose a window rear facing seat on the A side of the plane as far from the Galley as possible, swapping a window seat on the F side wouldnt be equivalent for me because I can only lie down to sleep on one side because of a bad back, I must be one of those Jacka$$es you cant stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.