Not switching seats with someone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not switching seats with someone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't post much because I don't travel much anymore.

My 2 cents. If I am traveling alone, depending on the seat that the person wants to trade me for, I'll trade. But, If I get on the plane and someone is in my seat already with the expectation that I will move, they are outta there. If they don't leave when I show them my BP, the FA will move them. I don't tolerate A-holes!!

Okay, back to lurker mode
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I think Brian's post, and mine too, implied "like or better" seats.
Aisle to Aisle isn't always like for like on a twin aisled aeroplane though

I would decline to move if the person acted with a sense of entitlement to sit here or if they had decided to just sit in my seat up front

Dave
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Get the hell out of my seat - NOW." also makes it quite clear that you have no intention of accepting 'squatter's rights'.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
The FA would have resolved the situation immediately, and you would have been in 11H.

OP, are you really EXP?
Last time I checked I was EXP. I flew 107k miles last year. I'm at 68k with no DBEQM this year.

Frankly, I didn't get the FA because didn't want to make a stink about it at the time, nor did I want to sit next to someone who was going to be pissed off at me for the whole flight. That was already my second flight of the day, which had started at 4am.

However, after suffering through the screaming and throwing of things through the entire flight, and having 8 hours to get more irritated at the clear fact that the guy thought he was *entitled* to that seat, I am not nearly as nice about the whole situation. Frankly, if they had asked, apologized or even gotten up for a second to discuss it, I wouldn't have been as irritated, screaming kids or not. It's the attitude of ownership, combined with the attitude of the parents who had NOTHING to entertain their baby with, that has set me off.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Icesk8er1970
However, after suffering through the screaming and throwing of things through the entire flight, and having 8 hours to get more irritated at the clear fact that the guy thought he was *entitled* to that seat, I am not nearly as nice about the whole situation.
It's intersting that the Poacher didn't ask one of the folks behind the family from hell to move forward so his wife could sit with him.....

After all, in this case there was another way for him to achieve his goal.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jun 19, 2009 at 9:30 am
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
forgetting everything else like as screaming kids and such....

the op's seat was changed and there was someone sitting in the op's new assigned seat. if you really wan to keep the new seat, that person (unless she's cute as hell with a pony tail and no ring on her finger ) moves-period, t/s and end of story as there are no squatter's rights. politely (n.b. politely) tell the pax that they are in your seat ask the pax to move. if the pax doesn't move, you call a f/a. again, period and end of story
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Get the hell out of my seat - NOW." also makes it quite clear that you have no intention of accepting 'squatter's rights'.
Sounds like you've attended my master class on dealing with people who feel entitled to my seat.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:51 am

If someone is in my assigned seat, I ask them once politely to move, and if they do anything else besides move immediately (like start to explain why they want my seat) I find the FA.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
, nor did I want to sit next to someone who was going to be pissed off at me for the whole flight.
in my experience, that rarely happens. Once the poacher goes back to their original seat, they talk their new seatmate into switching with their spouse, so everyone is happy.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Sounds like you've attended my master class on dealing with people who feel entitled to my seat.
Good story, but I don't think Spiff needed a class... in fact I'm pretty certain he came out the womb that way.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Frankly, I didn't get the FA because didn't want to make a stink about it at the time, nor did I want to sit next to someone who was going to be pissed off at me for the whole flight.
I wouldn't worry about causing a stink, apparently the poacher wasn't concerned that has actions could reasonably cause a stink. As far as his partner being pissed off at me , they can KMA. If anything they should be concerned that I'm pissed off due to the conduct of some rude, arrogant, mofo. By not challenging the poacher, you only encourage such behavior.

Hopefully I've made it clear as to how I feel.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG, IHG
Strange Case

So this is a strange case, as the "squatter" had already made a fair trade with the previous passenger, but I agree he should have moved - its his responsibility to move and trade again or have his partner move. And his non response was rude. That being said....

I would have switched if traveling alone to his original seat (like for like), wouldn't bother me any, especially in this case. 8H was a fine swap, especially with 8J open.

I'd be bothered about the obnoxious traveling family, but __it happens. And I wouldn't have known before the trade. I'd been better not having gone into a frustrating situation that feeds resentment into the other issue.

What you are mad about is not the person in the seat, but the fact you got stuck with bad passengers. You would have been in this situation if your first seat wasn't inoperable. (Heck the person in 11 J might have had chronic flatulence, so you don't know if it would have been any better.)

Its good to vent, but don't take it out on your fellow travelers the next time someone wants to trade like for like.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:04 pm

I thought squatters were shot?

Like a lot of people, I don't mind switching seats. If they're nice about it. Since this guy was being an ..., I'd have gotten an FA to force the issue.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for some reason back when women were women and men did not bath daily, seat computers did not recognize my last name. we would get on the plane, and people would be sitting in our seats. we would go find a convenient, out of the way place to sit and wait until the F/A's were free enough to fix the problem(almost always in our favor). this happened about 15 or 20 times.

this is long ago, back when them people were called stewardesses.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrianV
Most of the time, people willingly trade with me (like seats, window for window/aisle for aisle, etc.). However, once in a while there's some jacka$$ who won't trade. I can't stand those people, like their entitled to that specific seat (which they are), but have some consideration for others. Sorry, this was more of a personal rant.
Okay, let's talk about consideration.

What is "like for like"?

A non-reclining seat for a reclining seat is not like for like.

A window seat next to a blank bulkhead for a window seat next to a window is not like for like.

An Economy Plus seat directly in front of the first row of economy for a seat in front of an Economy Plus row is not like for like.

A bulk head seat for a non-bulk head seat is not like for like.

A seat on the "sun side" for a seat on the "non sun side" is not like for like.

Any seat that requires a person to "swim upstream" to retrieve his carryons is not like for like.

Many people (and, probably, most FTers) choose their seats with care and for specific reasons. Their reasons are their business and none of yours. The only one with an attitude problem, here, is you.

Just a personal rant.

Anyways, to the original thread topic, people who don't switch seats for like or better seats are in my opinion A-holes.
People who make their problems mine by requiring me to switch to a seat I don't want are, in my opinion, A-holes.

I understand switching aisle for window or anything for center, or moving back in the plane or moving too far away from bags, but people on flights should try to accommodate people traveling together if it doesn't affect them negatively.
It's not your call whether or not it affects them negatively. No one owes you an explanation. You are asking for a favor. It is up to the person being asked to determine whether it should be granted or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.