Reload this Page >

what to do on flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do on flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
1. My favorite: NPR podcasts, especially Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (very funny... except for right-wing conservatives)
2. For premium international travel, eat like a glutton and try the fine beverages!
3. Read newspapers (Wall Street Journal, International Herald Tribune, New York Times)
4. Read a good book.
5. Watch a movie.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
1. My favorite: NPR podcasts, especially Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (very funny... except for right-wing conservatives)
I like Wait Wait even though I'm conservative. It's only once a week for 47 minutes in the podcast so either download several weeks or have others too.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:51 am

I am usually well over stocked with things to do, especially considering most weeks my flights are not over 2 hours or so. I have a PSP, I-Pod Touch, Bose NC Headphones, and a book in my backpack. It may seem like overkill, but I use these in my hotel room during the week as well. Plus I am just a gadget geek. I just upgraded to the I-Pod touch about three months ago, and it is all I have used in flight, except for the book since. I have music, Pod casts, and a couple of unwatched episodes of ROME. The only thing I don't like about the Kindle is that it should be switched off for taxi and takeoff. I connect in ATL alot, so as you know this could be a while.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:23 pm

I bring with me my PSP and iPod for Music, games, and movies.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:28 pm

I always have a book or two, a couple of news magazines and my iPod Touch loaded with games, movies and podcasts. I also like to just look out the window. Between all of that and my tendency to doze off on planes, I'm never bored.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

How long are your flights? I love reading magazines but find that buying them at the airport is expensive. Let friends know that you will pick up their leftover magazines and I also subscribe to magazines for much less than the cover price. Even if I only read a few copies a year I usually make out better than paying cover price. I also try to catch up on old fashioned letter writing. My older relatives love getting "real" mail.

If taking early morning flights, skip the coffee/tea and SLEEP! Pack comfy socks and a pair of eye shades for a bit of a nap even on short haul flights under 2 hours. Even a 30 minute nap is refreshing.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by thelark
Seriously, how is it possible that nobody has mentioned booze?
Xanax and gin is the way to go... A couple pills and 3 G/Ts, and I'm out for the entire flight, and generally most of the next week...
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:14 am
Suspended

Plenty to do: make to do lists, write drafts to personal letters / complaint letters / business letters, plan life strategy, think of projects (like re-doing the lawn), doodle, sleep, read the airline magazine (airlines used to have a lot of other magazines), plan ff strategy, repack carry-on if hastily packed, clean up area around seat, pick at feet (no! this was a subject to a FT thread), listen to music, gather receipts and expenses, look out the window.

There are always things to do in an airplane. I've flown on one of the longest commercial flights and not become bored. I've flown on 2 hour flights and don't have enough time to do all of the above.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: Aerclub
I had a very interesting seatmate on a recent TATL, did not feel the time passing. A very enjoyable flight!!^
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I usually read a book or listen to my ipod
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I subscribe to several magazines and save them to read inflight. When I'm finished with them I either leave them in the seatback pocket, offer to FAs, or leave in the hotel - with the mailing label removed, of course.

I always bring a book and needlework as well. The time passes quickly.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Magazines -- free from the airline lounges.
iPod
ambien or vallium for long flights (over 8 hours) -- as an option.
IFE -- although this can get repetitive.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
As others have mentioned, I bring books (page-turner mysteries and crossword puzzles), magazines and newspapers to read. I also bring my checkbook, latest statement, and bills - then I go through and pay the bills, put on the stamps and mail them when I land. Not my favorite task, so I might as well get it done on the plane.

If it's a business trip, I get started on the expense report while on the return trip. Letter writing too - almost a lost art, but greatly appreciated by the recipient.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: ex-DL FO, what a pedigree
Depends on how long the flight is, but I like pzizz to lull me into a restful state. Very nice on trips over the ocean, and even better to help you conk out once you arrive. It seems kind of like a hokey idea, but it actually works quite well.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Short to medium-haul is easy - just go through the big pile of magazines that keep coming every day, ipod, newspaper, and a book.

TPAC long-haul - same as above, plus a course or two for my professional continuing education requirements, AVOD, and then sleep on the last few hours in a 14-hour flight. Normally I will have more than I can handle in a long-haul flight, and by second-half of the flight, I will be so exhausted I can go right to sleep until landing.

I feel so good every time I step off the plane when I can finally throw away a stack of finished magazines. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.