Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: None anymore
Yep, pre-9/11 and not a single issue.
Best sleep I got would have been in LHR, armed security keep a close eye on us
Good sleep at FRA, LAX, and HOU
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
OMG .... dozens of times

Just to name a few in the last two months alone: on 2/27 @ PEK - on 3/5 @ JFK on 3/6 @ CPT - on 3/7 @ JNB on 4/1 @ TXL - on 4/9 @ WAW - on 4/10 @ YVR

Next will probably be VCP or GIG in Brazil on 5/6-7 and AMS (by far the BEST ever) on 5/13

Mostly due to connecting flights in the very early morning hours.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Never overnight (I'd just snag a hotel), but I very frequently take naps if I have a long layover and there is a lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA
Slept in YVR two nights in a row a few weekends ago. Arrived Friday night at midnight. Slept until 6am or so. Took the train to the city. Went all around Vancouver. Returned late that night. Took a shower in the Fairmont. Fell asleep for several hours. Woke up at 5am or so for my flight back to the states.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Last night. Concert until 10, flight out 0530. No point
giving extra money to the Hilton.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Only once, thankfully, but I didn't bother trying to sleep. A significant delay on JetBlue led me to arrive in BOS just after the buses and subways stopped. I was a poor graduate student, so I opted to wait until dawn for transportation to resume rather than pay for a taxi. I could not find anywhere in the airport that was conducive to sleeping. The only room with comfortable chairs also had some kind of contraption that rang chimes loudly every half hour or so. I've always wondered if that was by design.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Had a flight cancelled due to snow and couldn't find an airport hotel for the night after that. Spent a few minutes sitting on the floor where I planned to bed down for the night with loads of others, but that's all I could take and headed into London to find a hotel. Cost around 125 including travel and food but better than 15 hours on a cold floor without a laptop for entertainment.

Only time I've really spent time overnight at an aiport was in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Got back to San Juan from Fajardo around 11pm with check-in opening about 5am. By the time I'd gone to bed it would have been near 11:30pm, got up at 3:30am, dropped off the hire car etc, I would have been paying $150 for a hotel for 3 hours or so, so I drove around the city, stopped off at a 24hr supermarket for supplies, dropped the hire car off early and watched movies / tv eps on my laptop at the airport for 3 hours or so. 1 or 2 food places open at some point at well. Slept the following night in Las Vegas but wasn't as tired as expected.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I spent a rather pleasant night at JFK T8 after a blizzard as I really didn't want to try to get home during the storm and I knew that I wouldn't come back to the airport to try to get on my LHR flight were I to go home.

Normally it takes me (depending on whether I am going direct or via LHR) between 10 and 14 hours door to door from home to Munich. This trip was 48 hours door to door.

I documented my experience online here at the time.

It was not at all unpleasant. Since most passengers had checked luggage (and I only had carry-on), I was able to stay airside and just wait it out.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
YUL had a very nice, wide and pretty dang comfy leather couch for me to sleep on when I was on my way home from a MR last fall.
Old May 11, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
once at O'Hare (ORD?)

I quickly realized why they don't seem to have benches ANYWHERE in the airport (at least at that time) lol
Old May 11, 2012, 8:52 pm

A bunch of us were coming back from the Philippines back to Australia and we had a connector from Cebu through Manilla back to Sydney. Our flight was delayed from Manilla so I decided to pop my carry on bag on the ground and use it as a pillow and get some rest. I quickly fell asleep and was awoken two hours later by a "mate" pulling my bag out from under me and letting my head hit the floor.

Who needs enemies when you have friends like that?
Old May 12, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AAdvantage, OnePass, FlyingBlue
Miami International

If you ever have to sleep in this icebox bring a coat. MIA is freezing at any time of year. I once had to go sit outside because the terminal was so damn cold.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:00 am
Suspended

While we are on the subject of "airport kippping" I would like to mention the "gentleman" who wandered into the TV cinema area at the LHR T5 BAEC last Wednesday morning.

The programme showing on the screen at the time happened to be the State Opening of Parliament by the Queen. Our "gentleman" came in, saw what was going on, farted, scratched his nether regions and stretched out on one of the benches.

He then fell asleep and snored loudly. One woman (?? Kiwi ??) went up to him, poked him awake and told him to show some decorum - or at least respect for other people using the area.

His response was unrepeatable - although some might say it would earn him a long stay somewhere in England & Wales "at Her Majesty's Pleasure".
Old May 13, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: KE MC
SAW evening-early morning.

Never again....
Old May 13, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Never have, and probably never will. Every night I fall asleep within seconds of my head hitting the pillow, but I cannot for the life of me fall asleep in a public place. (Planes are a grey area where I can get maybe 2-3 hours on a TATL or TPAC flight if I'm tired enough.)

That being the case, I'd sooner pay for a hotel room even if I only get 4 hours sleep out of the deal than sit up all night in a terminal. Anything less than 4 hours and I'd probably just drink coffee and read all night instead.

I seriously envy people who can fall asleep anywhere!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.