Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I might get laid off. Where would you go for a month?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:48 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM

Hi,

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament. I suspect there's a fair chance I will get laid off within the next few weeks. If I do get the axe, I thought it might be a good idea to travel somewhere for a month before coming back home to look for another job.

So if you were in my place, where would you go? I'm looking for some suggestions. I have lots of AA, UA, and Aeroplan miles. I also have some ANA miles. I have about 150k HH points, 80k SPG, and 90k Hyatt.

Ideally, I would like to fly business or first class but I want to use no more than 150k for a ticket. I'd like to minimize using my hotel points. Instead, I'd like to stay in cheap but clean and safe accomodations (< US$50 per night). The first place I thought of was Bali. Here's an example:

http://www.ubudbungalow.com/roomrates.html

I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:56 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Here's another good place in Bali - http://tamanharumcottages.com/

You could live pretty well just about anywhere in SE Asia on <$50 per day. And honestly, with the economic situation, and tourism down everywhere... if you were just staying in one place for the month, I think you could negotiate a pretty decent apartment rental in Europe.

What about Argentina?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:03 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
oh, and to answer your question "where would I go"

Paris
Scotland
Argentina
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I would add a vote for Thailand (or elsewhere in SE Asia, although you need a visa for Cambodia and Vietnam, for example). You can leave cheaply there -- stay in a nice hotel in Bangkok for $80 per night, or a perfectly decent hotel for half of that -- or much less in other cities.

The food is great and cheap (depending on your personal tastes of course), and the weather is pleasant this time of year. I would imagine that you could get a first-class, or at least business class, ticket for 150K miles.

Maybe get an open jaw going into, say, Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai in the north, then leaving back from, say, Kuala Lumpur. Then spend the whole month making your way through Thailand and Malaysia (although southern Thailand has had some strife).

Thanks for letting me fantasize for a few minutes by planning your trip vicariously.

Egypt or Morocco might be also fun spots this time of year.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If you are a beach person would suggest Rio although finding lodging for under $50 US might be a bit tricky (I am assuming that you would not want to stay in a hostile for a month). But for around $75-$100 is possible, particularly as the low season is coming about.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'd probably head for Central America: Costa Rica, Panama, Belize. I've never been but am currently researching a budget trip for the fall. There are budget beach and mountain accomodations that would easily meet your <$50 lodging criterion, plus they all come with breakfast. Hostels.com is a good place to look.

Last edited by BamaVol; Mar 13, 2009 at 12:30 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I was in a similar situation recently. I work for myself so I was not laid off but by biz has been extremely slow. I ended up in Thailand for a month....a little different for me as my wife is from there. It may be a good choice for you as you could easily stopover there on you way to Bali. I dont think I would take one month in one place. Nice thing about your situation is that you are not held to a vacation calendar and can take flights on whatever days they are available. Of course as nice as that is I am sure you would rather keep your job. Thailand is hot in April though so might not be the most pleasant time unless you like the heat! One good option for use of points is the Hyatt in Hua Hin, I did not end up booking it but looked to be a great value for a cat 1 property.

In April I reckon Europe is the most logical choice for that time of year though and for that my choice would be a run through France, Switzerland and Italy.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
You can never go wrong with SEA...

...Thailand..vietnam, cambodia, etc etc. You can stay cheaply, eat very well and enjoy some great beaches. If you dont wanna fly J there are excellent fares to KL on Malaysian airline right now (under $500 ai)...you could spend some time in malaysia nad work your way up to thailand.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
SE Asia sounds good. Lots to do in a small geo area and cheap.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines are the countries I'd recommend in Asia. Cheap rooms, good food, beaches, culture, etc.

In South America, I'd say check out Argentina and Peru. Costa Rica and Nicaragua are my favorites in Central America. Prague was nice when I went a few years back, and not as expensive as other European countries. I'd like to check out Poland, and some other east block countries. I'm not sure how expensive they are these days.

If you can afford it, I'd take more than a month. Take a couple of months, or come back when you don't feel like traveling any longer.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:12 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I don't have any tips on where to go, but I'd like to congratulate the OP for having the emotional balance to do this. I'd think many people (perhaps myself included) would be afraid that the trip would be ruined by the anxiety of "yet another day wasted while I could be back home looking for work." Of course, right now is an excellent time not to worry about that, because the "no jobs here" problem will still be around when you get back, and so I'd bet most people would just end up spinning their wheels and getting more frustrated and anxious looking for work for that month.

Here's hoping, first, that you don't get laid off. But if you do, I hope your trip proves to be marvelously relaxing. Who knows, maybe a trip like this is a better way to find a new job than staying at home?

Oh, and the mention of Prague gave me an idea for a possible suggestion, too. What about the Dalmatian coast? I haven't been, but I'd think April would be nice weather-wise, and since Western Europe is giving Eastern Europe the cold shoulder on economic stimulus money, I'd imagine you could get even better deals there than in Western Europe.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Well, emotional balance or not, I would put shopping for a destination, second to making sure that my unemployment benefits were secure. Most people I've known who were laid off had to prove that they were seeking another job, by doing something every week (so many applications or interviews), or else their unemployment benefits would be terminated. Travel for anything besides seeking work was not on the table. It must depend on the terms of one's laid-off-edness. But I wouldn't be putting it about in public that I was going to Bali, instead of seeking other employment, until I had that hammered down. No doubt the OP is way ahead of us though and just didn't think to mention it. Or maybe this is only the rule in Louisiana. Who knows.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: UA/AA
Springtime is an excellent time for the Middle East......Egypt, Jordan (Petra), and Syria is suppose to be terrific. You will need a VISA for Syria.

Now that Star Alliance is partnered with Turkish Air, you can fly into Anatalya or Adana, and travel overland into Syria by bus.

Turkey is also a good inexpensive destination.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Another vote for SE Asia, even China / HK / Taiwan. With their low price, you can actually do a whole month there. Enjoy and good luck!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by peachfront
Well, emotional balance or not, I would put shopping for a destination, second to making sure that my unemployment benefits were secure. Most people I've known who were laid off had to prove that they were seeking another job, by doing something every week (so many applications or interviews), or else their unemployment benefits would be terminated. Travel for anything besides seeking work was not on the table. It must depend on the terms of one's laid-off-edness. But I wouldn't be putting it about in public that I was going to Bali, instead of seeking other employment, until I had that hammered down. No doubt the OP is way ahead of us though and just didn't think to mention it. Or maybe this is only the rule in Louisiana. Who knows.

I think that's a rule everywhere. But, you can apply for jobs via Monster.com from an internet cafe anywhere in the world. It's the interview that becomes expensive. However, no one has to know that you turn down interviews because you're half a world away. I'd keep the trip to a month if unemployment pay is critical since at some point, you have to go back to the unemployment office to check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.