Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can you see your house on the final approach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you see your house on the final approach?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Yes, I can see my house when sitting in the right window seat on final for RWY 09 at NRK. My office is also visible when on final to RWY 09 but from the left window seat and about 1 NM closer to touchdown.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Mendobrew
I get a great view of my home from the left side on take off out of MRY but only get a view during landing when the alternate SW approach is used. On a clear day the first few minutes of the MRY-LAX flight is one of the most beautiful views in the world; Monterey Bay, Cannery Row, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach and then the coastline down to Big Sur.
I live in that general area, and the one time I flew out of MRY it was dark and I think we took off towards Salinas because I didn't see any ocean.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:09 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by beckoa
PUW has this problem too... out in the middle of nowhere... and jets at FL30+ I've hopped on flightaware.com to try to figure out what/who flew overhead... but no decisive answers... sure that some are AS & NW... but still wanted to know (or better yet... to be on those a/c )
I've hopped on flightaware, too, with no help whatsoever.

And yes, it'd be awesome to be ON those aircraft flying over my house at that high of a level.

I mean, if I can pick my driveway off of a county roadmap without even trying, I think I can find my house from 30k+ feet up in the air!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
I can see my house too on final approach at Sea Tac when they land from the North. I always look for it.
Ditto during the 180 degree turn for a Northern approach. Spot Shilshole Marina and track East...
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS
Flying into DCA from the north, I can sometimes spot my house. Find the river first (easy), find the reservoir next (usually also easy), hope the plane doesn't bank southwest before I spot my house right next to it (rarely easy).
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I live in DT Ft. Lauderdale, so it's easy to spot the neighborhood (usually easier to do this on takeoff, as we're usually too low (just about to touch down) on the approach).
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
At my previous home, many flights flew overhead. I often could tell if SO was home or if we had company.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, IHG Gold
I can find my subdivision, and pick out my house on approach to YYZ runways 23 and 24. When in a holding pattern, I might even pass by two or three times.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Our next door neighbor, who often travels by air for work, has seen our houses from above. Jet Blue flies directly over our house on the way to and from Long Beach Airport but when I priced them for our flight to Boston last summer they were a lot more than United. So much for the "discount" airlines. They charge more than the others once they get popular. So we just get the benefit of the possible danger of their flyovers and none of their PAX opportunities.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Saw my house the other day off the left hand side traveling from SFO to LAX.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
SFO-LAX and HNL-LAX left side -- West Los Angeles... I think about the cats at that point...

Dukie -- are you close to Westwood?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Whoops, meant to add on takeoff, not landing. Near Palo Alto. :-)
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
When I lived in London I could see my house on approach to LHR, if sitting on the left side of the airplane. I still look for it if I am in a left window seat.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Well, not my home in New Jersey when I fly in or out of EWR, but I fly often to SFO and my hotels of choice are invariably to be seen through the window on the left. They are the Airport Hyatt SFO and the Airport Marriott SFO. BTW, excellent hotels both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.