Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can you see your house on the final approach?

Old Nov 30, 08, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..

I always like to sit on the right side of the plane when going home. It is neat to see my house from "way above" on the final approach. Who else lives below the inbound flight path?

Mods - please kill or merge this post if done before.
Old Nov 30, 08, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I can see my place on the left side of the aircraft when on final for the 24's at YUL. Kinda like Google Earth, only that the seat is a lot less comfortable up there ...

Cheers
Old Nov 30, 08, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
When I used to sit in the window seat, I could!
Old Nov 30, 08, 10:39 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I was able to see the house I live in once when the plane was routed north of EWR coming from FLL, made a U-turn over Bergen County and went for landing. I had no idea they had so many private jets parked at TEB!
Old Nov 30, 08, 10:59 pm

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
Yes. My house is on the turn to final into SNA. It can be a challenge to pick it out if they are on a high approach, but I can normally find it if it is daylight.

I have caught my wife running late to pick me up at the airport (car still in driveway), but I have not actually been able to see her on the road.
Old Nov 30, 08, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I can see my parents house when on final into JFK's 22L/R or departing 4L/R.

When flying to/from PVD I can often see the beach that is 102 yards from my house. I have not spotted my house yet. My wife says I can't paint the roof bright pink to make it easier.
Old Nov 30, 08, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
I sit on the final approach for YYZ, since my condo is right by YZD -- this makes it very easy to place and spot when landing. I enjoy watching the planes go by, too, which I can see from my living room or balcony.
Old Dec 1, 08, 1:07 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, PriorityClub Gold, Marriott, UA Mileage Plus, LH Miles & More, Sixt Platinum
Yes, I always sit on the right windows seat, when arriving back in Hanover/Germany (on 27R or 27L) so I can see my house from the final approach at around 7 miles out.
Old Dec 1, 08, 1:21 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Up until the summer I lived in GSO and could see my house when we made the approach from the North East. I could also see the mansions where the other half lived, including the real estate agent who sold us the house! I wonder how she is doing now?
Old Dec 1, 08, 3:05 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I can see my house when flying out of London City Airport, and occasionally when flying into Heathrow depending on how tightly the pilot banks the turn over London.
Old Dec 1, 08, 3:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Hi,

When sitting on the right, I can see either my old apartment when flying in from the west on 05, or I can see my current apartment when flying in from the east, over the lake, on 23.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 1, 08, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
we can but what's even cooler is that if one of us is at home and the other is flying in on a certain flight, which happens to fly over our house at around 5pm into BOS, the person at home--a 45minute north of the airport--can drive there at that moment, thru traffic and into the airport and have enough time to sit and wait because the flight coming in is international so they have to go thru customs and immigration. My wife flew alone overseas with one of our children in Sept and I used the fact her flight went over head to tell time in this way. made it there with enough time to make it but not have to sit and wait for an hour in the lobby.

MM
Old Dec 1, 08, 7:19 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I live almost exactly half-way between MKE and ORD and I prefer to fly out of MKE. Of course, almost every trip is MKE-ORD-XXX-ORD-MKE. Sometimes the flight path is over water and if that happens I can't see my house but if the flight path is over land I can often see it. The only other kicker is that sometimes the flight path is to the left of my house, sometimes it is to the right.
Old Dec 1, 08, 8:02 am

Back when I lived in Northern Kentucky, I could usually find my house, if I looked for it, on final approach into CVG.
Old Dec 1, 08, 12:47 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Only when coming in from the north to SFO and when the plane makes a left over SF. Then, I can theoretically see it out the left window if it's not fogged in.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: