Room Service Tip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Service Tip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by sbm12
But does the 18-22% actually go to the person bringing the food up to you? If it does, that's great. If it does not and it goes to the bottom line of the hotel, does it really count? The proble is that it is hard to know where the money is actually going.
Based on my experience working in a hotel restaurant, 18%-22% doesn't go into the server's pocket in the restaurant, either. He/she tips out the bartender and other help (food runners, busboys, etc.) I will tip the same on a room service order as I would on an in-restaurant order. It's not my concern how much goes into the server's pocket any more than I care what ultimately ends up in the waiter's/waitress' pocket in the restaurant.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:21 am

22% is it - no more.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold, UAL SP, Marriott PL, National Excecutive Elite, SWA A+
I might shed some light on this, I set up databases for hotel food services. This is not always the case, but the following is what most likely happens. If there is a delivery charge (usually a per trip charge which is very common at resorts and nickle and dimeing 4 and 5 stars) that goes to the house. The service charge then goes to the room service staff (Room service normally pools tips and may have to tip out a bartender as well). If there is not a delivery charge, but just a service charge, it may be that the house takes a percentage of the tip (a common one is 18% with 15% going to the server and 3% to the house). Their is no hard and fast rule, but always read the guest check closely.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 7:21 am
roo

Programs: BD Gold, Hilton Gold
I must say, I always add a tip on top of the "room service gratuity" already on the bill. Having worked in the service industry, I doubt the server is getting rich off my extra 10%.

I just wonder how much of that the server is actually taking home...I suppose I should start asking.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
Personally, tipping should not be.
I expect good service, and I expect to know the price in advanced.
Adding for the plate (done in Italy) or service on top of the price makes me order less next time.
Regarding restaurants, there's a difference between here and Europe. In Europe the server makes a living wage. Here, in many states, management is allowed to pay the server less than minimum wage with the expectation that there will be tips to make up the difference. Most European friends I explain this to say 'That's not my problem' as a response.

FWIW, most waiters and waitesses here in NYC loathe it when Europeans sit at their tables. They know they'll get a $2 tip on a $100 check.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
FWIW, most waiters and waitesses here in NYC loathe it when Europeans sit at their tables. They know they'll get a $2 tip on a $100 check.
For the same reason the European waiters will get a big smile on their face when they see Americans sitting down.

It's a simple rule, tip appropriate to the country/culture you are in!
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
The last time I ordered room service (years ago), the hotel had a mandatory gratuity, and a line on the check for additinal gratuity. I felt that 22% was enough and did not add any additional. After taking the check and starting to walk back to the elevator, the courier loudly said "f*ing stiff" 'under his breath'.

Personally I would never look down on anyone for "only" leaving 22%, but clearly, hotel staffs expect more.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by ajax
I never add a tip when someone has done it for me, especially in addition to a "service charge".
Ditto.

Originally Posted by underpressure
This isn't room service, It is a buffet, they get nothing else from me.
Yes, but my American tipping guilt sets in and I leave a buck for the person who brings my orange juice.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA,LH,AC
Considering I'm not expense accounting these outrageous in room dining charges the last time through LHR T5 I visited the M+S Simply Food on the arrivals level and bought myself a nice cold cut spread plus a bottle of Shiraz. Walked back to my room in the Sofitel and ate and drank totally guilt free in my room.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
Living in Europe, I usually give 10% or less in restaurants.
I do not tip hotel rooms or airport lounges.
Personally, tipping should not be.
I expect good service, and I expect to know the price in advanced.
Adding for the plate (done in Italy) or service on top of the price makes me order less next time.
I agree. As a European, I usually give 10% for good/reasonable service. Hotel rooms I do not tip extra. Also a 22% automatically added tip on the bill, unless stated on the menu I would complain about. I don't want to be forced to tip. The delivery charge should cover the cost of the delivery and the tip should be for serving and there isn't exactly any of that when it's room service. I will usually tip more in the US, but the rest of the world I only tip more than 10% if the service is exceptional, and I'm not afraid to walk away without leaving a tip if the service was poor!
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:19 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
However, I've also appreciate good service. I will tip above and beyond the suggested tip for staff that bring my room service order right away, make sure the food is hot, or bring everything in one of those nice combination food warmers/tables on wheels. I'm addicted to those.
None of this is probably due to the person serving you, but either to the guys in the kitchen or hotel policy...

I usually have a simple policy: if a service charge is added, I don't tip. In one particular Korean hotel they even had a sign at the front desk: "To avoid individual tipping we charge 10% service fee." What else should the service fee be for if not to pay for the service staff?

HTB.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:15 pm

What about takeout from a restaurant? I've been asking around about this lately to get some feedback. I have to go pick it up, bring it to my house, unpack it, clean up my mess, refill my drinks, lay out my silverware, etc.. What did they do? Put it in a bag and take my money? Perhaps if you could take the server home with you to perform the services you get at a restaurant and then they could find their way back by themselves, I would consider it.

It's almost as ridiculous as tipping a barista.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:51 pm

You think that's bad!

I tried to order takeout in Virginia, it was one of those 'delivers from multiple restaurants' deals. The bill I was presented with listed out the additions of sales tax, city tax, delivery fee, convenience fee, fuel surcharge, packaging fee, mandatory gratuity, and THEN had an item asking about a tip!

I was stunned. Delivery fee was to the delivery company, I guess. Convenience fee was.... I have no idea what that was about! Maybe to the restaurant for packaging it up? Fuel surcharge, oh boy. Packaging fee was apparently for the styrofoam plate, napkin, and plastic utensils that are provided. Mandatory gratuity to the driver (maybe), and then tip for the magic fairies.

It more than doubled the price of my $15 meal before the suggested 'tip'. I gave up at that point.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
Originally Posted by dustinp
What about takeout from a restaurant? I've been asking around about this lately to get some feedback. I have to go pick it up, bring it to my house, unpack it, clean up my mess, refill my drinks, lay out my silverware, etc.. What did they do? Put it in a bag and take my money? Perhaps if you could take the server home with you to perform the services you get at a restaurant and then they could find their way back by themselves, I would consider it.

It's almost as ridiculous as tipping a barista.
I don't. I used to, but now I just leave that line empty, copy the existing total and just sign. At the local pizza joint, I do drop few quarters of change in their jar, but that's pretty much it.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dustinp
What about takeout from a restaurant?... What did they do? Put it in a bag and take my money?...
I confront this question every time I pick up teriyaki takeout from our neighborhood place and pay with a card. The chit is handed over with a prominent line to add a tip. And I usually do, but only $2. or so on a bill of between $20 and $30, so it's sort of a minor thank-you to the poor kid behind the counter, whom I don't think is making very much in that job. Maybe I should X it out, but guilt gets the better of me... and this is not The Four Seasons, exactly.

Interesting that when you pay with cash the question just doesn't arise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.