when safety and courtesy collide on flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when safety and courtesy collide on flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the pilots of USair are too lazy to turn the light off. if you go to the usair site, you will read of sign on on full transatlantic. many times the sign has stayed on all the way on my dca-dfw flight. i had a blood clot in my leg last year. when i get on the us air flight, i tell the FA's, and tell them i am going to get up and walk every 30 min.

i think getting up when the sign is on is a violation of some govt reg, and you may end up chained to your seat until the fbi removes you at the end of your flight, unless they decide to land in gandor to remove you.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the camp of look at what the FA's are doing. If the captain has them sitting then the threat is real. If they're up and about then it's probably just liability paranoia, emergency trips to the bathroom are ok, although I will make sure to be holding onto things if I'm up.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
On my flight to Japan the seatbelt sign was on and I really had to go. When I got to the lav there where 2 other people waiting to get in. When the FA came by she told all of us to return to our seats fast and to hold on to things going back.
The light remained on for over an hour and when it went off there where 10 people waiting. I'll remember to go more often so I'm not in the position of HAVING TO GO.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: These views/opinions are solely my own and not necessarily those of UAL or any other affiliates
When you get up when the seatbelt sign is on, the F/As are required to tell you the seatbelt sign is on, and that you should go back to your seat. Of course, if we don't catch you....then it's just to late. If we fail to mention this to you (and we could have had a chance) and FAA is on the plane, then we get a fine. If we tell you that the seatbelt sign is on and ask you to go back to your seat, and you avoid it, then the FAA can technically give you a fine. Just stating the "technical" rules. I'm one of those F/As that will tell you, but I also am not as forceful about it as some of the others. Things happen, people get sick, some have medical issues that may make it more difficult to wait, etc.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:07 pm

On the subject of seat belts - who is guilty of not keeping it on even when the sign is off? and if so, why?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by eoinnz
On the subject of seat belts - who is guilty of not keeping it on even when the sign is off? and if so, why?
not guilty (as i mentioned in post 29 of this thread)
for me, my seatbelt stays on the entire flight. nice 'n tight during t/o and landing. on the climb out when i hear the the "double ding" for 18,000 feet, i loosen it leaving about 3 inches of slack and at the "flight attendants please prepare for landing" announcement, i give it a tighten followed by a final tight pull when i hear/feel the gear drop.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jachot
On my flight to Japan the seatbelt sign was on and I really had to go. When I got to the lav there where 2 other people waiting to get in. When the FA came by she told all of us to return to our seats fast and to hold on to things going back.
The light remained on for over an hour and when it went off there where 10 people waiting. I'll remember to go more often so I'm not in the position of HAVING TO GO.
an hour? Sorry, if that happened to me I would quietly piss on the floor and live with THAT inconvenience instead for the rest of my flight. When you gotta go, you gotta go. What if for some, it's medical?...
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
an hour? Sorry, if that happened to me I would quietly piss on the floor and live with THAT inconvenience instead for the rest of my flight. When you gotta go, you gotta go. What if for some, it's medical?...
If it were just the airplane this would be a reasonable answer. However, you're likely to get it on the luggage of the person behind you who has their bag under your seat.

Maybe what the airlines should do is put some pilot's piddle packs in with the airsickness bag.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If it were just the airplane this would be a reasonable answer. However, you're likely to get it on the luggage of the person behind you who has their bag under your seat.

Maybe what the airlines should do is put some pilot's piddle packs in with the airsickness bag.
true. sick bag then. And then, when we touch down, just kinda let it tip over when everyone has gathered their things to deplane.Or I guess they could dispense Depends Diapers at the gates.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:01 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

USA airlines take way too long to turn off seat belt signs. Unless there are stange circumstances, for safety sake seat belt signs should go off 3 to 4 minutes after takeoff as they do in Australia and NZ.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
true. sick bag then. And then, when we touch down, just kinda let it tip over when everyone has gathered their things to deplane.Or I guess they could dispense Depends Diapers at the gates.
PLEASE do not use the air sick bag! I had this happen to me on a flight a couple of years ago as described in this thread. It was foul.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Redhead
PLEASE do not use the air sick bag! I had this happen to me on a flight a couple of years ago as described in this thread. It was foul.
ok, but you get the idea. something to pee in that can later be left there.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No--you misunderstand. I'm saying piddle packs meant for pilots. They are absorbent like a diaper but aren't worn, just used when needed. I'm not sure if there is a female version, though.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
No--you misunderstand. I'm saying piddle packs meant for pilots. They are absorbent like a diaper but aren't worn, just used when needed. I'm not sure if there is a female version, though.
I think maybe they ought to provide such things as an option for people who want them on flights.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think maybe they ought to provide such things as an option for people who want them on flights.
You have to expose yourself a bit to use them, they would be an emergency-only thing.

Googling...

Apparently there is a unisex version:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...FQECGgodCmLKXQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.