Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do while waiting on your connecting flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do while waiting on your connecting flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
Drink.

Although on my last trips I've been taking my DS with me, it's fun actually...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, Choice Gold, CitiPrestige, TYP
On long layovers, I try to get out (if possible) to explore the city. Otherwise, I walk around the airport for some exercise, and/or try and find a decent meal.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Rodenback

The best activity I found was in the Narita airport: automatic massage chairs I popped yens in the chair but after the first massage I had enough.
I have a bad back, so those chairs (or an actual spa with human beings) is always the first thing I look for. Every airport should have those chairs.

Then, like everybody else, I curse the general lack of restaurant selections in the airport.

Then I just wander up and down the terminal, hoping something interesting will happen. It never does.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: AP, WP, AS
usually i go to the most crowded gate and people-watch and/or eavesdrop.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I have more connecting flights than most. Some of the things I spend my transfer time doing

relaxing in airline lounge
drinking
eating (depending on what is/isn't on offer during the flights, choice of sleeping, etc)
meeting friends (or FTer strangers)
drinking
reading
walking laps of the terminal
checking out artwork/exhibits/etc on display in the terminal
wander around the neighbourhood (not practical or safe at some airports)
taking a shower (makes me feel better and smell better)
drinking
catching up on email/phone messages
checking out FT
working
head into city/surrounds for longer transits
sleeping
people watching
thinking time
etc

I very rarely manage to get bored - there is always something to do.
When looking to your travel patterns, I guess you live in planes and airports, so because AFAIK there are no showers onboard any aircraft, the airport is the only way for you to take a shower.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:01 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by Brobbel
When looking to your travel patterns, I guess you live in planes and airports, so because AFAIK there are no showers onboard any aircraft, the airport is the only way for you to take a shower.
I believe Emirates A380s have showers onboard. Just plan for one of those every few days.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I very rarely manage to get bored - there is always something to do.
I know what you mean. I treasure time at airports. They're strange places that aren't really here or there.

So many fun people watching things to do.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: United 2P, HHonors Gold, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Gold
Usually grab a newspaper or book and go sit in a bar to grab a drink and chat with other travelers. If I'm tired I'll go sit in an airport lounge and try to stretch out and grab a nap.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Read, sleep, planespot.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Watch video on my iPhone.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 1:30 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
If you have a long lay over at MSP, there is a train that goes directly to the Mall Of America. It's a pretty good place to kill a few hours (-:

If you have a long enough layover (and you're a golfer) several airports have courses almost right beside them.

Fly more & get a better seat
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *G, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I've never had a layover over 2 hours so getting something to eat, walking around the airport, or hanging out in the lounge usually cuts it.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 4:34 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
for me it all depends on how long the lay-over is; how long the incoming flight was, how long the next leg is and what the "jet-lag" factor is. In the worst case scenario, 8+ hours incoming with 12+ going and 4+ hours layover (or vice versa) - get a hot shower if at all possible - then try and rest/sleep in the lounge (if you have access) - if not, get a day-use airport hotel room.

If I'm not crossing the globe; i.e jet-lag is not a big factor - try shopping, reading, massages, eating, drinks, calling home, e-mail, internet browsing, people watching, airport gym, walking, TV, videos on my laptop, ... the list goes on.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8707/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/141)

It depends on the city for me. It can range from going airside and exploring (or meeting up with friends), or just making the transit interesting and collecting another passport stamp, through to sitting in the lounge drinking.

Generally I'm always behind on work, so you'll find me in the lounge practicing the art of balancing drink intake with work output!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:23 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by TMOliver
One would suspect that even the well known treatments with ice cubes or strings of pearls might have been available "on call" in such notorious cities as Bangkok....
At least in the transit area of the old airport at BKK there was a very visible massage parlor. Don't know what kind of services they offered, but I suppose it was just like any Thai massage parlor anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.